Speciale Market | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Speciale Market

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by DM1, Jan 21, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nel1

Nel1 Karting

Jul 11, 2012
    A couple of weeks ago I spent time with my local dealer (Houston) and spoke about Speciale values. He mentioned that Speciales are one of the very few Ferraris that has never dropped below MSRP.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. Afonsolaw

Afonsolaw Formula 3

Sep 11, 2011
    New jersey
    It's only been 2 years it's been out.... give it time! And the successor has not come out yet that is s big factor!

3. Nel1

Nel1 Karting

Jul 11, 2012
    Maybe, maybe not. Previous "hard core" versions were selling below MSRP within 2 years after stop of their production. I bought a 2009 Scuderia in 2011 for almost $100k below MSRP. Not the case for the Speciale. It seems that 458 affected the Scud much more than the 488 has affected the value of the Speciale. As you mentioned, the true test will be the 488 "GTO" which might drive the Speciale's prices down or might drive them up if is not well received or if it comes out with a huge MSRP that average buyers have difficulty justifying the difference.

4. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Hard to compare 08-09 depression with 2018 all time high.

stan996turbo likes this.
  5. Nel1

Nel1 Karting

Jul 11, 2012
    True, economic conditions are different and have something to do with all this for sure. However, back then in 2011 in a tougher economy, the 458 was selling much closer to its MSRP than the Scud was. Today with a stronger economy, the Speciale is at or above MSRP when the 488 is already below MSRP. It seems that the Speciale is holding value better than its predecessors relative to other Ferrari V8s available in the economic environment that they live / lived in.

RyanFoH and obbob like this.
  6. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Dealers seem happy to sit on speciales and maintain the premium.

Those apertas are the ones with ridiculous prices though.

Afonsolaw likes this.
  7. saraojo

saraojo Formula 3

Mar 9, 2015
    Northeast
    Values are also dependent on mileage. I have not seen a speciale yet with over 10,000 miles for sale.

Afonsolaw likes this.
  8. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    The Speciale at Cat's Exotics just sold. 9000 miles. Asking price was 18k over MSRP.

Was on the market for just under a month.

Ferrari West Palm Beach appears to have just sold two Speciales last week as well. I believe both were for around $10k over MSRP. One of them was originally listed for $100k over MSRP, but that was probably a out of touch owner setting his own price on consignment.

9. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    I won't sell mine....

Clay512TR, Camelot and Melons like this.
  10. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    You mean 4 years out..

There is a premium difference between a 2014 and 2015, many of the 2015s are still under original factory 3-year warranty for instance and there is value in that as well as more confidence in purchase (but many have recently expired). None of the 2014s remain under original 3-year, so you are seeing pricing differences where 2014s are, as far as I can see, always lower than the same 2015.

There will be no successor as far as the NA engine goes...so, that is always going to be worth a premium.

Many of the cars for sale are consignments, not part of regular dealer inventory, so you have individual owners setting the price (of course less dealer fee) and some owners are simply more motivated than others, some want to make room for the 812S and get their order in. There's one at Ferrari Palm Beach (deal pending) that a few weeks ago had a comment that the owner wanted it to be the next one sold and dropped the price 20K over a 3 week period (Dec 28-Jan 19)..so you are seeing a lot of that but when a 'motivated seller' is not at the helm prices are bit higher.

The one at Roy Cats was a 2014, good option load and great price...but, still, a 2014. The final model year will always be worth more (well, in general for same everything otherwise), even when a motivated seller low-balls.

In no case other than salvage, has an US-based 458S been listed under original MSRP, not even close, so no one is that motivated..(yet, of course, but, perhaps never).

In spring 2017 there were a couple white ones with over 10K miles that, at the time, were listed for 365 or so..and I know of many with more than 10K miles but are not on the market and may never be (owner's properly enjoying them).

saraojo likes this.
  11. Afonsolaw

Afonsolaw Formula 3

Sep 11, 2011
    New jersey
    They will come down... there is still room in their inflated price ... probably down to 300k US

12. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Since I don’t own one the price will remain over MSRP. If I buy one I’m sure it will loose value quickly. I promise to keep you posted. :)

13. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    In Europe there are already some at EUR 260K (about USD 320K), that's probably close to their initial retail price (including optional equipment) - and the trend is clearly downwards (although it's happening slowly), with no sign nor reason for an imminent turn-around.

anishka and hofobo like this.
  14. DM1

DM1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2006
    Southwest
    Full Name:
    DM
  15. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    All things being equal, you would expect 488vs tonpush 458s prices down. However, that won’t happen this time as the 488 will have a huge msrp increase over 458 and the options prices are monumental. The 488vs thread suggested a price of $30-40k just for the cf wheel option! With that amount of clear water between the two, the fact that it’s sold out and there won’t be many on the street any time soon means very little additional downward pressure on the 458s beyond normal market forces.

16. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Demand for the Speciale has no reason to increase in the near term, the question is whether offer will increase due to some owners selling because they're getting the new 488 VS. The Speciale being the last non-turbocharged, more owners may want to keep both, but some may not find that reasonable.
    Prediction is always a difficult exercice...

subirg likes this.
  17. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    sold for $467,500 incl fees (see post #13/14)

obbob likes this.
  18. Bendrover

Bendrover Karting

Dec 18, 2005
    Tulsa, OK
    Watched it go through, just silly that guy paid that much for the car. $67-77K to much even if you just had to have the car.

19. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    This is what I’m a bit confused about. Why do auction cars sell for so much above retail? I thought the only cars that go to auction are the ones that struggle to sell retail?

If auction prices are so much better, maybe I should put mine through one if I am able!

20. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Funny thing is that with all the fees, it often ends up that the seller gets less money while the buyer pays more...

21. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    In the case of BJ Auctions, it's because the buyer is drunk, and he wants to show off in front of the TV camera... :) :) (seriously!)

22. Melons

Melons Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2013
    Me neither :)

Clay512TR likes this.
  23. s4play

s4play Karting

Oct 25, 2006
    Great thread, I'm in the market for a Speciale and this thread is very helpful.

Would it be unrealistic to offer MSRP or slightly under for a car in today's market?

24. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith

Offer whatever you want...

25. s4play

s4play Karting

Oct 25, 2006