Bit dusty Daytona | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Bit dusty Daytona

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by VetroresinaNL, Feb 6, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    A bit of both, maybe: tragic that it has been allowed to get into this state, but if someone is now going to out it right, that would be worth celebrating.

G. Pepper likes this.
  2. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Nobody is "celebrating" the condition of the car or how it got that way and we can't roll back history, so it is what it is. The part to be celebrating is the fact that it has been found, can and will be restored ;)

3. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Excuse me... Putting it in the Beverly Hills Ferrari showroom as is isn't "celebrating" it?

4. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    WRONG.

Leaving the car that way and showing it off isn't helping get someone to try to restore it. It's an effort to get MORE money out of it by leaving it that way forever.

5. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I already said - the "celebration" is the finding....

I've got news for you - car dealers don't restore cars - they sell cars. Some of them barley wash them ;)

6. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I don't think any of have any of us have a clear understanding what is happening with this car, what the timeline has been, the context of the photos, and what the future plans are, so debating what is "appropriate" and analyzing motives is rather pointless. If somebody can provide a timeline, current status, and future plans, then we will all have a basis for voicing a meaningful opinion. Without that, we are all extrapolating off of thin air. (IMO)

I've received cars back from dealer service looking worse than that :)

TheMayor and Dave rocks like this.
  7. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #57 TheMayor, Feb 8, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
    Sorry I misunderstood. I think marketing this car in a dealer showroom in its current condition is "fishing" for someone to overpay for it as "a barn find" instead of what it really is -- and abused car desperately in need of restoration to get it back on the road.

In my poorly worded way of getting my point across, what I'm trying to say is instead of saying

"Wow look awesome it is that we found a car like this."

we should be saying;

"Wow what a tragedy for someone to do this to this car. I hope someone gets it cheap enough to be able to restore it".

8. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Barn finds are often auctioned at some of the most premier auction houses - no different. The market is what someone is willing to pay. Hey - I get it - there is no chance (no matter how much money I have) would I ever buy a $50,000 or $5,000,000 dollar painting - especially one that looks like a 6 year old did ;)

9. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Yeah, but take that same painting, stick in a barn for 40 years, and then you won't be able to live without it.

Dave rocks likes this.
  10. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
  11. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    Ferrari 308 GTB, WJHMH and turbo-joe like this.
  12. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    If it is THE alloy bodied car, I can understand all the fuss. Still don't like seeing Ferraris in that condition, unless it's a before and after restoration pair.

13. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Agreed, let this team give it a good rub down.You could even sell tickets t0 interested buyers wishing to oversee it o_O
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

bernardo66 likes this.
  14. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    those chicks on a ferrari sitting? a shame ! ! !
    and on the daytona the roof then is damaged :(

15. LorenzoOO

LorenzoOO Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2017
    Italia, US NE
    Full Name:
    Lorenzo LaMattina
    You, from what country?

16. 500tr

500tr Formula 3

Feb 28, 2004
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Volkmar Spielmann
    375+ likes this.
  17. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    when you would have a look at my profile then you would not ask this question
    also it would be good for you to read right. beside my nick name on the top of my posting there it is standing also. because in stead of you I filled out my profile

18. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
  19. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    Dave Freiburger and Mike finnegan would have that puppy running in no time.:D

20. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Like it would have taken so much effort to roll up the windows.

21. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    There are 13 GTB/4's on Hemmings alone...this month...half of which weren't there last month! Not any kind of rare unless your point of comparison is a '95 Ford Taurus.

22. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Ok. That explains the value :rolleyes:

23. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Dave, forgive me if I've been misreading your posts, but you've repeatedly said throughout this thread that a big factor in the (IMO inflated) value of this car is it's rarity. I'm saying, for what it is, it's not rare AT ALL. It's an old Daytona that was modified (bye bye originality), that has been left to rot for decades (bye bye everything else). In fact the only thing rare about it is how awfully it's been treated. If you want a Daytona you can pick from dozens of cars tonight. That's not rare in Ferrari-land, as you know.

The car certainly has value, but I (and others it would seem) are suggesting that the value is probably about 1/2 of what any Daytona in good condition should bring.

If the car had some special significance or provenance, or some actual rarity relative to what it is...maybe a premium would be justified. But this is nothing more than a beat up, unoriginal Daytona that needs to have several hundred thousand bucks put into it to make it nice again. Sounds like a cool project, and I can imagine the possibilities, but as-is the car should sell at a discount, not premium.

24. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Dave - I know next to nothing about vintage or semi vintage Ferrari's. What I do know is the market is set by buyers. If it commands a price, then it has value. If not, it doesn't.

25. BMWairhead

BMWairhead Formula 3

Sep 11, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Ted
    Am I confused...? Or, is this the one of one alloy street Daytona from Japan? If so, the implication the whole time has been the value due to the rarity. Or...am I thinking of a different car?