Ethanol Free Fuel | FerrariChat

Ethanol Free Fuel

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Vito, Jan 28, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Vito

Vito Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    Dutchess County, NY
    A number of convenience stores in the area are now offering ethanol-free premium gasoline with an octane rating of 91. The 10% ethanol premium gasoline at all other dealers is rated at 93 (R+M/2). Pricewise there is no difference. My question is whether anyone has experience with this ethanol-free fuel and its effects on engines. My fuel economy is equal on either fuel so I see no difference there. Also, I have used the ethanol-free gasoline in non-Ferrari as well and have not experienced any sort of ill effects. Thanks for your comments.

2. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    If the fuel does not cause pinging (sniggles) and the car runs fine, then its good to go.
    Ethanol fuel (even 10% stuff) causes deterioration of the fuel system components--fuel lines, various rubber houseings.
    Ethanol, by and large, is not good for car engines, especially older ones, unless all the stuff in the fuel system has been brought up to date with ethanol tolerant stuff.

mike and whatheheck like this.
  3. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    nEthanol free fuel is easier on all rubber seals and gaskets. Also much better for cars that are not driven frequently, the ethanol attracts moisture and the gas can phase separate if left for even a couple of months. Fuel economy will be higher as the ethanol energy content per volume is quite a bit lower than gasoline. If you can get ethanol free you should. There is no downside to unadulterated name brand refined gasoline.

This link is a good summary on the problems of ethanol is gasoline...
    http://www.lcbamarketing.com/phase_separation_in_ethanol_blen.htm

The other comment I would make is that people think premium higher octane fuel is "better". If the car is designed to run on regular lower octane fuel, that is actually the better fuel. Additives to raise octane reduce ease of combustion, and the overall blend will have less power and fuel economy (albeit not enough that you would notice the difference). In my market, the only fuels without ethanol are the highest octane premium, so while that is the better fuel being alcohol free, it has some minor downside for a car that does not need the higher octane.

So to summarize, a modern daily driver car that is not in storage for long if ever will be fine on the typical ethanol fuel blends out there. Just use the octane rating the manual specifies for best economy AND performance. For a classic car, or one driven less frequently, use whatever ethanol free gas you can get, probably a premium octane is what will be available.

peterp and Keith Darby like this.
  4. GTS Bruce

GTS Bruce Pisses in your Cheerios

Oct 10, 2012
    Orchard Park NY
    Full Name:
    Bruce Roche
    There is an app called puregas that tells you where all the the etoh free gas stations are located. Only thing I run in the F car and all small engines. Does not collect much water and is better for engines that see only occasional use. If you keep some gas cans around add some stabil then fill the can with no etoh and it should be good for 2 years

VIZSLA likes this.
  5. RossoC360

RossoC360 Formula Junior
    Owner

Jun 20, 2008
    Buffalo NY
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Ethanol free is all i run in anything but the daily lease. I believe if you look in the 360 manual it states ethanol free only.

6. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I don't believe it does.

7. Vito

Vito Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    Dutchess County, NY
    Has anyone noted a difference in performance between ethanol-free fuel and the commonly available gasoline with 10% ethanol?

8. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    Also on the web: https://www.pure-gas.org/

I prefer the E0 for the Spica Alfa.
    The EVO was made in the E10 era, although the manual recommends against E15.
    In DC, I had to inflict E10 on the 328, as there was nothing else available.
    But I did have all the fuel hoses replaced with 21st century ones during an engine-out overhaul.

9. GaryR

GaryR Formula 3

Dec 11, 2006
    Valencia, Spain
    Full Name:
    Gary R.
    Use Sta-Bil 360 on any car sitting for more than a week or two and don't worry about it..

f355spider likes this.
  10. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    My carbed 308 runs much better on ethanol free. No flat spot and better mileage. I’m told that it’s more stable if the car sits for extended periods as well.

11. JCR

JCR F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    H-Town, Tejas
    The EPA determines whether you have ethanol free fuel or not in your location.

Attached Files:

12. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Shell gas station owner told me, Hi test premium has a longer shelf life than low octane.

13. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I'm sure he did ;) I saw a published response online from Chevron saying that all grades (of their gasoline) have the same storage life. I'm certain the same is true of other brands

14. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    The Shell High test premium is the only reliable non alcohol blend in Ontario. There is no low octane non blend that I am aware of.

15. JG333SP

JG333SP Formula 3

Mar 24, 2010
    N Shore, MA
    Full Name:
    Jim G
    For yrs I've gone to the Hampton airfield across the border in NH for about $4 per gallon. MA has absurd laws and these tractor/equipment/feed stores on pure gas sell the same stuff for 5x as much

16. EP328

EP328 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2008
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Ed
    I don’t believe aviation gas contains deposit control additive (such as Techron) which is beneficial to have in our cars.

17. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    I would recommend reading this.

Attached Files:

18. JohnnyRay

JohnnyRay F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    Central FL/NW WI
    +1 Well stated.

And a comment on Premium/higher octane. Octane is a retarder of combustion that allows the combustion process to be controlled by ignition timing rather than spontaneous combustion (ie - dieseling, pinging) in high compression applications. In a lower compression engine, higher octane can promote excessive carbon deposits over time, as the combustion process may be incomplete. Lower octane fuel is actually more combustible.

Also, ethanol is an oxidizer. Never a good idea to have in a fuel system that sits unused for an extended period - regardless of the phase separation topic.

19. JG333SP

JG333SP Formula 3

Mar 24, 2010
    N Shore, MA
    Full Name:
    Jim G
    At this place they sell what they call 'mo gas' as well as aviation fuel. The mo gas is what you want to use if you have a carb'd car-it's simply unleaded but has zero ethanol added. Maybe that's what you can get in other states at normal gas stations but you can't sell it in ma at a station legally

20. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I'm surprised they sell it to you for your car. Typically pump gas has taxes for highway maintenance, etc added in, which avgas / mogas at airports doesn't. Similar story in the tractor supply / agricultural supply places, which sell gas, but "not for road use".

Doesn't mean it doesn't happen, but they could be in for a pretty hefty fine.

JG333SP likes this.
  21. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    I worked in a refinery gasoline blending operation when I was a young fellow, and as I recall the recipe for av gas was completely different than for road fuels. Dealing with higher altitudes, and the engines run mostly at a continuous speed make the most of a high octane fuel. But as noted, higher octane does not mean better fuel. Lower volatility will mean poor cold starts and part throttle drivability. Avgas LL100 which is most common, also has lead, which in even the low levels used today can cause problems with O2 sensors, cat converters and such. A car will probably run on avgas, but not well and a modern car emissions system will be seriously impacted by the lead. Probably has about 5% less energy density than a typical auto premium fuel. Makes no sense to use this as an auto fuel. Ok, the old time hotrod fellows that shave heads for compression, have no emissions, and can tune for the proper air fuel mixture might gain some benefits from some avgas blended in off the rack auto fuel.

Mogas is pretty much the same as a high octane premium auto fuel, but will (hopefully, if a good supplier) not have alcohol. Is used for sport aircraft and those where lower altitude is typical. Meets a vapor pressure standard, but would fall within the range of premium auto fuel. Also have a limit on oxygenates, less than 1%, and which includes Techtron, so would likely have less of this additive than a premium auto fuel.

JG333SP likes this.
  22. JG333SP

JG333SP Formula 3

Mar 24, 2010
    N Shore, MA
    Full Name:
    Jim G
    I think they get around that by making you drag empty gas cans up to the pumps. Funny enough, it's only about 10 feet from where you can park-and this one guy there doesn't care if you drive right up to it. I guess that guy is true NH, 'live free or die' right?

In MA they won't even let you pump it into cans. I tried at minuteman airfield a number of yrs ago. I remember hearing at the time that was driven by local laws enforcing ethanol being in any gas going into cars-which is a great policy because of the vast amounts of folks driving cars with 4 carbs out there. I blame everybody in cambridge for this (just kidding all you fcar driving cambridge folks)

23. afwrench

afwrench Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2004
    NY
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I have noticed a seat of the pants difference when using non-e gas in my multi carb cars.67 e type ,3 SU carbs and a 365gtc4 ,6 Webers. Mike

JG333SP likes this.
  24. JG333SP

JG333SP Formula 3

Mar 24, 2010
    N Shore, MA
    Full Name:
    Jim G
    I've noticed that difference also but I have no doubt it was probably just in my head!

That said, I did put CAM2 (I think it's called) in there a few times years ago and with that stuff you could def feel it. Throttle response felt even quicker also but I guess that makes sense when it's already a flat crank engine. That fuel is another one you had to go into NH for, but they had it at a number of places right on the border b/c apparently the snowmobile crowd there and here dig the stuff

25. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Probably not in your head. Ethanol gas is chemically inferior to straight gas both from a power and economy perspective. Edmonds did a test and found both fuel economy and performance were worse with eGas.

https://www.edmunds.com/fuel-economy/e85-vs-gasoline-comparison-test.html

JG333SP likes this.