575 Technical Thread | Page 47 | FerrariChat

575 Technical Thread

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by tazandjan, Jun 1, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Serial number is last 6 of VIN. All I need is serial number (127XXX), 44853 assembly number, F1, and whether she has FHP, plus a couple of photos would be nice. Any good body shop should be able to fix the nick and match/feather the paint. Many shops might want to paint the entire roof, though, to make sure of a good match. For sure one of the Ferrari factory authorized repair shops can fix her.

2. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
  3. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    forgot to mention it also has a tubi and xpipe as well

4. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Sounds like a good deal to me, and mine has 24,500 miles, so 21,000 is no sweat. Most Ferraris get around 1000-1500 miles per year, and yours fits right in there. She is very pretty and looks a lot like mine when I first got her, except my interior is Charcoal and not Beige.

5. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    Thank you Taz, I havent had her long but the power is immense. I was a bit torn, the dealer I purchased her from had 2 of them and the other one was $15k more but didn't have shields and didn't have daytona seats but had only 10k miles. I dont know why but the shields just make the car look so beautiful that I took the higher mileage one bc of them + the exhaust. I guess i was a little confused on the market for the cars bc Ferrari of Newport Beach currently has a 2002 red/tan with 8k miles asking $185k and I was worried I was getting it for "too cheap" vs the few others I saw on the market. Overall its been a really pleasantly shocking experience. I insured it for 2500 miles a year with state farm where I currently have my other car and was blown away that the insurance is only $590 every 6 months, I was expecting to pay ALOT more. For reference, my daily work truck is a cadillac SRX I lease and I pay $1100 every 6 months for that at half the value.

The car came with a full major completed from a very reputable independent shop and the total bill shows $2100 and the dealer told me that its maybe $400 cheaper bc he sends alot of cars to the shop and that I would be on the hook for around $2500 every 5 years or 30k miles when the major was due, which again was a huge shocker bc I was thinking about all the Ferrari horror stories everyone hears. The dealer told me those horror stories are bc everyone wants to do work at the Ferrari dealer and they charge way too much for the work and a great indy shop can do it for much less. This particular shop is an hour away but when I saw all the exotics they were working on I knew it was a good shop. I know when I was looking at a 355 a while back it had records of $20K+ for certain visits but the dealer I dealt with said the 575 is a fairly "cheap" ferrari to own if everything is working.

Either way I've had it for about a month now and put 400 miles on it, Im thinking its gonna be a struggle to stay under the 2500 annual miles I insured it for haha. It is just such a blast to drive, I've had multiple sports cars in my life mostly mercedes SL55 and SL65 cars and they have similar power but this noise is amazing and puts this car on just such a different level.

6. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    A service including a belt change at $2500 is really inexpensive, even for a lock and swap on the cambelts.

575s are a blast to drive, especially once you have figured out how to get the most fun out of the F1 system. Takes a while.

7. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
  8. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    Terry so I was looking at your PDF and mine 127585 looks to be one of the earlier ones on your list, can you please explain your list more to me, so there's 2064 ever made correct? So what number made would my 127585 be? Im trying to understand the history of the car more. Im very fascinated by your knowledge of these machines. So being an early one, mine is one of the least updated ones then right so makes sense on why the price was rather low, I guess one of the least desirables being one of the earliest made?

I notice your list says

575M First and Last Built

First: 123761, US 126969

Last: 141817 US, 141822 Euro

so where would 127585 fit into that? Im a bit confused, sorry.....

9. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    also terry just curious, your list says 208 were in made in 2002 for the US market, so how early in that 208 is my vin number? Im really intrigued now, I had no clue so few were delivered in 2002 and im interested in how early mine was now.

10. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    I do not have enough data to tell you exactly where yours fits out of the 208. Here is a list of early US 575Ms from an ECU change bulletin, but yours does not seem to have made the list. You can count up from the first one to see about where yours would fit. Looks like somewhere in the low 30s, but there may be others missing, too.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    Thanks for reply Terry, any particular reason all the VINs around mine would have had an ECU change but not mine? Sorry to keep asking questions, as a new guy to the club im just interested in the historical significance. Your list has 700+ production for US 575s counting superamericas

1. do we know how many superamericas were produced? Are they included in the 2064 production or is that just regular coupes?

2. do we know how many of the 700+ US production 575s were coupe and how many were superamerica?

3. do we know how many vehicles of the 575 family have met their maker at this point or how many remain?

4. last question, shortly after I bought mine I spoke with a shop owner on fchat who I had been talking to for a while, dont want to name him, but he did a 575 manual conversion and he told me the F1 transmission would eventually fail and the $30k price tag to convert the car was probably cheaper in the long run. If the early single disc clutch system is so rare it seems like longer term it could be viewed as special bc it was an early predecessor to the current dual clutch systems we have. I love the way the F1 drives but this guy scared me alot, is it true that the F1 system will eventually fail?

Thank You for taking time to reply to all these questions.

12. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    559 Superamericas not included in 2064, only 2005 production, so all 02-04 are 575Ms. No further break-out of US Superamericas vs 575Ms in 2005. No clue on wrecks, but none were stolen according to NHTSA. F1 and 3 pedal transaxles are identical, so you misunderstood what our buddy with the Dutch name told you. The one he converted, he put a 550 transaxle into it, which is definitely a step backwards since he 575M transaxle is beefed up and a big improvement over the 550 transaxle. The F1 system is very reliable if serviced every 3 years like Ferrari finally figured out it needed. Fluid should be changed, system bled, self-test run, and leak check performed. If you do that, the system should last for decades with no problems. On mine, we swap out half of the fluid every year to further guarantee no problems. There are now sources for replacing or repairing all the components of the F1 system, from hoses to pumps to actuators, so nothing to worry about if well maintained.

Maintenance schedule for the 599.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. Badabing!

Badabing! Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2014
    NYC
    I am currently interested in purchasing this car at a dealer. can anyone share some history with me?

14. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips

Attached Files:

F456M likes this.
  15. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    Interesting that my 2004 575M was originally sold out of Foreign Cars Italia when Steve Barney had it.

16. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips

Attached Files:

17. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    FHP, Taz?

18. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Seth- Not noted in any of the stuff I saw. With this late model with the steering position sensor and different shocks and shock ECU similar to the HGTC ECU, probably not necessary for good handling.

19. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    I was guessing not, since were not the FHP's delivered with red calipers?

20. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Seth- Red was standard with FHP, but all the other colors were available as options.

21. colamclean

colamclean Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2013
    McLean, VA
    Full Name:
    Patrick Transue
    Just an FYI - I just received a replacement for the rubber ring/strap that secures the gas cap to to gas lid hinge. Able to get it from Ricambi, and only about $18 - maybe the cheapest 575m maintenance item out there? It was a little thing that had bothered me for the three years I have owned this car, and it is so nice to have it replaced - life's little pleasures...

BTW, the part number from Ricambi - 186866 'Ring for plug cpl'

22. Kscarguy007

Kscarguy007 Rookie

Feb 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Tom Truong
    Hi All, very new to this community but really falling in love with this car. I remember seeing it in the bad boys movie and has a special place in my heart. RIght now I'm not able to afford this car but will eventually. My question would be when I get a 575 F1 and covert it to a manual. will that reduce the overall value of the car down the road since it was originally F1 now a manual. Would it increase the value since it would be a manual and the prices of those are high? Sorry for asking stupid questions but this would be one I would like to keep (as my classic car and having a manual 575 would be a dream that I would hope increase in value)
    thank you in advance

23. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    Tom, welcome to Ferrari and the Maranellos. Tastefully, you have focused on the most flawlessly designed road Ferrari and among the most joyous to drive in the history of the marque. When you find the right one, buy it, drive it, enjoy it, do what you wish with the transmission (but if you get an F1, drive it for a good while before you change - I believe you will find it a joy to drive) and to hell with relative values. The cars are to drive, not to worry about when you are going to sell her.

LorenzoOO and Kscarguy007 like this.
  24. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    We will find out this weekend, there is one at Mecum in Los Angeles that is the first I've ever seen converted and up for sale. We shall see what it gets and maybe I might have to convert mine haha.