Feeling a little guilty... | FerrariChat

Feeling a little guilty...

Discussion in '360/430' started by 3POINT8, Feb 12, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    I was heading back to my car and there was a guy in the car parked next to me and he started to ask questions about my car. he seemed to know his stuff about the 430. i was talking to him and put my bags in the car and then sat down. he then asked if he could get a picture sitting in my car. i said i was in a hurry and left.

i felt bad afterwards. i said i was in a hurry partially because i was but mainly because i didn't like him asking to get in my car. i let people take pictures all the time and probably would have offered to have him sit in it but didn't like the fact that he was so forward. did i do the right thing or am i a jerk? don't pull any punches.

2. LorenzoOO

LorenzoOO Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2017
    Italia, US NE
    Full Name:
    Lorenzo LaMattina
    Was he homeless?

3. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oh, yes, that would certainly be the first question I'd ask.

"Hey buddy, are you homeless?"

"No? Can I see ID please?"

Yup, that's the way most of us approach casual conversations about our cars.

And, 3.8, you did fine. The proper protocol is the car owner offers, not the guy chatting you up asks.

D

G. Pepper likes this.
  4. ShadowLAP

ShadowLAP Formula Junior

May 15, 2017
    SW Suburbs of Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Lawrence P.
    Sounded like you were polite and truthful. It is your car and your ultimate decision as to how comfortable you are with such requests. I let people take photos of my car but would not be comfortable allowing them to sit in the vehicle unless previously knew them. Better safe than sorry.

5. mkzhang

mkzhang Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2009
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Don't feel bad. I would of done the same.

I was at a gas station and the guy filling up my tank asked the same I straight up said no.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. MD355

MD355 Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2004
    Athens, Greece
    Full Name:
    MD
    I always respond “you can take pictures if you want, but I would you prefer you didn’t sit inside” ... It takes some nerve to ask a total stranger to sit in their car !! So don’t feel guilty !! You did the right thing !!

7. BlacktopRacing

BlacktopRacing Formula Junior

Sep 18, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Dale
    That was just kinda creepy of him. Like a total stranger asking if he could have some of your popcorn... never know where his hands have been.

Freddan and Mikael-F360 like this.
  8. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    For many, the closest they will ever come is sitting in someone else's car. Most people are good people. Usually the rats can be spotted. I get a rush out of putting a smile on someone's face.

Have a read:

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/must-read-story.392755/

You didn't do anything wrong but the fact you are second guessing your decision makes me think next time you will decide different;)

9. fc2

fc2 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Nov 2, 2006
    Silicon Valley Ca.
    Full Name:
    Frank C.
    I think you did the right thing. I've had people ask if they can take a picture *with* my car, but not in it... in my world, that is invite-only.

Last weekend, I had the Huracan Spyder at the beach house and a wide-eye'd kid on a very cool vintage Schwin bicycle rode by and stopped dead when he saw the car. He then started taking pictures from the street so I waved him into the driveway, opened the door and said, "give me your phone, I'll take some shots of you in the driver's seat". You could not believe the smile on that kid's face... precious.

But always... always ask them if they have anything in their back pockets. I had a friend forget he had a sharpie in his back pocket (and didn't know the cap had come off) and sat in a Jag with white leather seats. Not good...

10. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    I have had similar feelings on rented cars and people asking to sit in them. I was honestly truthful when I was in a hurry to make it to an appointment or to pick up my wife someplace. There were a couple of time back when I still smoked when I'd pull off someplace and be off having a smoke and just wanted left alone. But having said all that I let plenty of people check the Ferraris I rented out too. A buddy of mine that has a couple of different exotics told me that you will run into a lot of people because of the car. It brings lots of attention weather or not you want it. He advised me that any time I'm in one to be polite but if I didn't feel comfortable politely excuse yourself and head out.

If you happen to run into the guy again maybe get to know him a little more and maybe offer the guy a chance to sit in it. You never know you might make a new friend, and he might be interested because he is looking to purchase. Never know. But st the end of the day if you weren't a jerk I'd not lose sleep over it.

11. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    You did the right thing. Total stranger parked near your car, starts chatting you up and then invites himself into your car, Get lost! That's invite only.

12. dreichman

dreichman Formula Junior

Sep 9, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Yikes, rough crowd here. Your instincts after you left was maybe you should have acted differently. Next time maybe trust yourself.

13. Mikael-F360

Mikael-F360 Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2017
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael E.
    I think the "invitation only" is a good policy. Friends and people you know are OK to let sit in anytime. Or maybe even drive, but that's another topic.

If you had keys in and a stranger sits in your car... opportunity makes a thief as they say...

14. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    What if it had been a chick ? ;)

Come on be honest ha!

15. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    Over the years I have let many people (usually they are young and had never been that close to a car like that) sit in my cars, though I have never had anyone ever ask before. I remember one time I let a boy(probably around 10 years old) sit in my 360 spider, while his dad took (a lot of multiple poses) photos, and afterwards his father shook my hand and thanked me, telling me I have no idea what that meant to his son. Of course I will never know, but I do know this, I have been very lucky and fortunate in life, and have had the ability to own and drive cars most people can only dream about. If it takes ten minutes out of my day to make someone's else day, well I am happy to oblige.

16. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    More people should have this attitude - good on you :)

17. William Tell

William Tell Karting

Sep 2, 2014
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Villi
    I would not let a stranger sit in my car with the doors closed and keys in ignition :)

I let strangers sit in my 360 spider all the time - keys in pocket. It is mostly kids though.

18. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    It's so easy to let our social politeness make us do things that we really don't. Some people use that to take advantage of you.

It's YOUR car. It's YOUR time. Not anyone else. Yours. If you're late and you need to go... there you are. He can save up for a 430 and buy one. Harsh I know.. but I don't ask to sit in other peoples cars. My Ferrari was the first one I ever sat in.. .

19. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    Exactly. I learned a long time ago people will ask anything of you.
    I finally realized that sometimes they really don't have any right to ask you for what it is they want you to do.
    Doesn't mean I won't agree to what they ask, just not going with a patented "yes" every time.

I think the OP is well within his rights to simply say what he did.

bernardo66 likes this.
  20. Chiaroman

Chiaroman Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 21, 2004
    New Jersey
    You acted properly.

Invitation only.

bernardo66 likes this.
  21. PGI

PGI Karting

Oct 24, 2017
    Full Name:
    Ken
    At a car show. Guy asked to have picture taken while sitting in car next to me. After picture, he opened door and hit my car that was next to it. He ignored it and ran off. $1,000 damage.

22. LorenzoOO

LorenzoOO Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2017
    Italia, US NE
    Full Name:
    Lorenzo LaMattina
    I keep signed autographed pictures available for situations like that.

KC360 FL likes this.
  23. RossoC360

RossoC360 Formula Junior
    Owner

Jun 20, 2008
    Buffalo NY
    Full Name:
    Jason
    In general when I feel the situation/person deserves it I will donate time and/or money to try and make the world a better place or a person's day better. If there's a situation that wouldn't cost me either, well then.........................

Dave rocks likes this.
  24. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    I've had on the rare occasion a person ask if they could sit in it. Again, it all depends on their approach.
    A polite request is generally well-received. If you ask like an insolent ****.... keep walking. ;)
    For the most part, I always offer, and I take a pic for them. It always makes their day....especially the kids.

KC360 FL and Dave rocks like this.