My wife wants a Panamera. Any help? | FerrariChat

My wife wants a Panamera. Any help?

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by bball16, Feb 12, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    My wife and I have been together for 35 years and she's never asked me for any particular type of car. The lease on her E350 is coming due this summer and she actually asked me for a Panamera. I've had 911s and Boxters in the past and always loved them, so I'm just trying to get an idea of what you guys think of the Panamera. I'm looking at a 4s because she wants AWD, but I don't think she needs anything more then that. Any help, advice or options I should or shouldn't look for? Thanks.

2. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    #2 slm, Feb 12, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
    My wife currently has a mercedes R that is getting long in the tooth and she doesn't have as many kids to cart around. I was planning on getting her one also. Was going to wait a year for some of the new panamera sport tourismos to hit the used market. It can seat three in the back.

bball16 likes this.
  3. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Lucky you.
    Mine asked for a Lusso V12.

vinuneuro, Simmerl, John B and 8 others like this.
  4. LorenzoOO

LorenzoOO Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2017
    Italia, US NE
    Full Name:
    Lorenzo LaMattina
    Buy a used one. There are quite a few low mileage bargains out there.

5. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Thanks, but that's not happening lol. She's a full time working professional and isn't going to drive a preowned.

6. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    She won't even drive my 458, so she's never asking for a Lusso. It actually caught me by surprise when she asked for this, since she hasn't really ever shown interest in what she drives. I've asked her for years to get something more exciting then an E class, but it was all she ever wanted.

7. dreichman

dreichman Formula Junior

Sep 9, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Tell her you are allergic to them and you will break out in hives... I hear it may be contagious as well.

8. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I had a 4S at one point, and after putting only 1200 miles on it in a year and a half I got rid of it. It was not about the being a Porsche 911 or nothing guy, it was that I could not get past the way it looked. Inside is fine but the outside to me at least is something I could never get used to. When they fist came out the idea of a sedan that drove like a 911 (that was the marketing, it didn't and never will), was a good selling feature. These days there are many good handling sedans (I'd take the new M5 if I wanted a sports sedan) that have not been beaten to death by the ( the GT looks a bit better) ugly stick. I have learned though that it is sometimes better to just say okay when it comes to girlfriends (or in your case wife) even if it is something I know a lot more about than she does.

9. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Thanks. The funny thing is she said she likes the way it looks. I saw it with the small spoiler on the back and it made it look more aggressive and not as bulbous in the rear.

10. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    You're right - help is needed!;)

11. nis1973

nis1973 Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2013
    NYC/CT
    The new panamera looks much better than the previous generation. Subtle changes here and there have made a big difference in my opinion. Sort of like the Cayenne - the first generation looked awful but over time they've made it borderline nice looking. Porsches are never pretty in the conventional sense anyways. Even the 911 is an acquired taste...

mclaudio and bball16 like this.
  12. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    My wife wants a Panamera. Any help?

Funny you should ask. That is what my wife wanted. We ordered a Panamera 4 in July and the car arrived just in time for Christmas, Dec. 22nd. The dealer put a big red bow on it when we went to pick it up. Starting with 2017 models Porsche did a complete refresh of the car. The exterior, particularly the rear section, is more streamlined. The interior is significantly upgraded. The previous version was very busy with buttons, while the new look is much cleaner looking and has a much larger screen. Of course this is subjective, I've read some Panamera owners prefer the cluttered button look.

We had to get AWD since we're in the Northeast, but you don't have to get the S model, there is just the 4. The S is almost $14K more and what you get is 440 hp instead of 330 hp (which is plenty for my wife). Plus if I got her the 4S, I'd feel compelled to get air suspension and rear axle steering which would add thousands more to the price. I highly recommend you get the Premium Plus and Assistance packages, surround view parking and power steering plus. Get at least the 20" wheels because the 19" have only one summer and one winter tire available (per TireRack). And then of course there are several hundred other add-ons :).

We haven't driven the car a lot yet since the weather hasn't been great (lots of salt on the roads) and we kept her Jaguar. This is the first Porsche we've owned and I have to say so far I am impressed. It is a very complex car and it takes time to learn everything. The dealer actually schedules two orientation sessions with you. Of course I'm the one who has to read the manual and then set up and explain everything to my wife, sigh.

There are a couple little negatives.

-Firstly it is a big car and visibility to the passenger side (large B pillar and seat headrest) and the rear is not great (hence the recommendation for surround view parking).

-Upon every start up the car is in "Auto Start Stop" wherein the engine shuts down when you come to a full stop. You have to go into the touch screen to shut this function off.

-The TPMS system doesn't show tire pressure until the car exceeds 16 mph. When I first sat in the car to check the tires they all read 0.0 and I was thinking something is broken already. Then I read the 16 mph requirement in the manual. So this means I have to drive away from home to see that I have a low tire and then return home to put air in it? Dumb.

-Only one key can be programmed. So when I get in the driver's seat I have to press and hold one of the settings buttons on the door panel.

- In two Panamera forums I joined once I knew we would be buying this car I did read complaints about the fuel door being difficult to open and a clunky PDK transmission, however, we have had no problem with either. I suspect they may have ironed out these problems after the 2017 model refresh.

Overall really pleased with the car, and most importantly my wife just loves it. We can't wait for better weather to take some extended drives/trips with it.

bball16 likes this.
  13. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Thanks. The plan is to get a 4, she doesn't need the S and since the car is primarily used in the Northeast the AWD is a must. She has some experience with Porsche from the previous models I had, so the buttons etc don't scare her. Did you get scheduled maintenance with the car?

14. LI2782

LI2782 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 19, 2010
    bball16 likes this.
  15. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    That one looks good. She likes the dark gray. With that sticker that's a pretty heavily optioned car.

16. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    No, the dealer gave us the price sheet and it is ridiculously expensive, especially when you consider that all but about 3 items are all "check" this and "inspect" that. Then after 3 or 4 years they do more, but then the price goes to absurd. Your first service is free anyway.

bball16 likes this.
  17. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    the upside is... one can have the Panamera any way one wants and get delivery in a relatively short time, no BS about kissing the dealer's backside to get in line to order one, relatively long service intervals at reasonable cost, with good reliability... all at a price point below a similar F car... try that at your local F Car dealer

LARRYH and bball16 like this.
  18. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    My local Fcar dealer owns the Porsche dealer lol.

19. KM1959

KM1959 Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2014
    Full Name:
    Kevin
  20. LI2782

LI2782 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 19, 2010
    Another thing is I am pretty sure they hold their value better than the other germans. At least it seems that way after Just quickly browsing used listings without any real analysis

21. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Let's see you've been married for 35 years, and your wife tells you to jump. I suspect you know damn well what you better do. ;)

bball16 and LorenzoOO like this.
  22. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Lol. This is true, but it's also the first time she's ever asked me for any type of car.

23. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Probably leasing.

24. LorenzoOO

LorenzoOO Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2017
    Italia, US NE
    Full Name:
    Lorenzo LaMattina
    Hmmm... 35 years married, the wife is probably around 60. She says she wants a Panamera. The husband should get several 25 year old playmates then as a fair barter.

bball16 likes this.
  25. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

:D
    Post of the week.

patina and bball16 like this.