Thoughts on 430 Scuderia?? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Thoughts on 430 Scuderia??

Discussion in '360/430' started by tryii, Feb 13, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    This is very true. If you want a relaxing weekend cruiser....this ISN'T it. It's a driver's car that is always "on". When I was driving a bunch of stuff 4-5 years ago, it was the only car that my wife asked me to return to the dealer after just a few minutes. I ended up buying a Lamborghini Diablo Roadster that has more of a dual personality (it can do the relaxing cruise thing). This time, the Scuderia is near the top of the list (lots of choices with a $200k budget) BECAUSE of the singular personality (still will keep the Diablo).

2. tryii

tryii Rookie

Feb 13, 2018
    South Barrington, IL
    Full Name:
    Terry R. Yormark II
    WOW!!! AND CONGRATS!!!! BEAUTIFUL SET UP, ENJOY!!

Stephen Ayers likes this.
  3. tryii

tryii Rookie

Feb 13, 2018
    South Barrington, IL
    Full Name:
    Terry R. Yormark II
    Thank you for the great, detailed advice and opinion!

4. tryii

tryii Rookie

Feb 13, 2018
    South Barrington, IL
    Full Name:
    Terry R. Yormark II
    Appreciate the question. To be clear, I turn 40 in 16 months, so yes, I am a little bit of a planner. Been waiting a Ferrari since birth, told myself I'd have one by 30, then 35....but instead invested in a collapsed real estate market (for the better). Now, I won't allow myself to wait anymore.

As for why a Scuderia? I am looking at the F430, 599, 458, and Scuderia (all around $125,000 to $200,000). After a long darn time doing all the research I've realized I want a "Ferrari's Ferrari". I really like the top down Sunday driver California and some other more touring Ferrari's, but I just purchased a Tesla 75D that is quick and enjoyable enough for virtually all of my needs. Where the Tesla doesn't meet my young family needs, our GL450 does the job (great car).

So, I am itching for something for myself as a reward for what I've accomplished the last 10-15 years and purchase something I can keep and enjoy for 10, 20, 30 years. This is not an investment decision, but don't want to lose my ass on anything (mental) and like the idea of having something that is a little rarer than most. I am NOT a track driver, not a techy car guy that gets my hands dirty, and yes, sometimes impulsive and irrational with certain purchases.

From everything I read, the Scuderia is a great fit for what I want looks wise and has enough in it to thrill me every time I turn it on.

God willing, I'm able to accomplish this goal in the next 16 months and make it the first of many.

Much appreciated!

5. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Great advice and feedback!

I loved my Scud. I sold it to a friend because after a while I decided it was just a little too rough for the street (for me). There will be some rattles and shakes on most public roads. However, everything @redcaruser said is accurate. Especially the honest part. If I were you, it would be between the 458 Italia and the Scud. Both will give you really great sensations. Obviously the Scud is a bit more old school and "raw". But I look at it more like the Scud is a supreme sports car, and the 458 is a junior supercar. They just have different personalities.

As a financial investment, a Scud is likely better than a 458. But compared to the CS and the Speciale, for right now anyway, the CS has the virtue of being considered the first and the Speciale the last (NA V8), but my favorite out of this trio is the Scud. I just love the more modern power and handling, I also prefer the styling to the CS, and my favorite of the 458 series is the Italia. I just like its lines best.

I think so long as you understand the Scud will be a little bit rough and raw, you will love it.

6. 430 Scooter

430 Scooter Karting

Jan 17, 2016
    The Scud is an excellent Ferrari. It's one of the best value Ferrari experiences. All it needs is disconnected exhaust valves (easy and free).

However, I think you should definitely sample the 458. The whole feel of the car is next generation in a good way. Practically everything about it is improved. It is hyper-responsive to all inputs and inspires an incredible amount of confidence while providing lots of theater when you want it. The 9000RPM rev limit with the short gearing makes for an extremely exciting experience at legal speeds. The stock sound is fabulous when the valves open up. I've had both cars; the DCT does not detract from the experience, especially in Race and above. Additionally, it has a true dual personality in that it can be quite docile when you're done flogging it (this is the first transmission Auto mode that I use regularly - it's good). In many ways, the 458 is a refined Scud +10% on everything.

If this car is primarily for the street, I'd go 458. I don't miss my Scuds at all (I rarely go to the track).

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  7. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    @430 Scooter , and to @tryii ,I made a mistake the first time I drove a 458. The Scud is linear in the sense that it behaves very much the same when you are going 2 MPH as when you are really pushing it through turns. In comparison, the 458 is very refined and my very first reaction was "oh no, they made it into a Lexus!". The shifts were super smooth, etc. In the Scud, you know when you shift, whether you are on it, or going slow. As it was a friend's car, I did not drive it with much gusto. That was a mistake. I tell you this so you will know, if you test drive a 458, you don't have to drive it like a complete maniac, but you absolutely need to get on it a bit, and you will see that it really has a dual personality (within certain parameters). Whereas the Scud is simply a wild child ALL THE TIME.

Shark01, G. Pepper and 430 Scooter like this.
  8. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    I loved my scud and still think it is the most beautiful recent ferrari from a rear 3/4 view
    I traded mine on another ferrari a year or so ago ....have considering buying another if i see the right one....it is fast and you definitely need to drive the car it is a blast to drive

crinoid, flash32 and Caeruleus11 like this.
  9. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    Hey Morrie
    I'm past 70 and still on the track - that's one reason I'm such a Scud addict - finally I got to the point and skill level (a few years ago) where I can track it with all the controls off - at 73 I can't even think about a different car on the track with no controls on - too old to learn anything over again.
    Your post was great - one car never covers all but at Terry's age I think the Scud is perfect for him - he wants to know he is in a Ferrari - when he gets older he will have his pic of depreciated great cars like the F12 etc

10. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    Stephen
    I had it fabricated in Fort Lauderdale - the bar bolts into two spots on each side of the car - the cross bar was welded at the proper hight so the harness' could be attached at the right height so you don't brake your shoulders - don't want it too low - there are many shops who can do this - I really tried to get genuine Ferrari belts but no luck - I did this about 8 years ago - I almost rolled a 430 Spyder at Homestead in 2007 and said no more hard tracking with no roof - and then - poof - out came the Scud - the fire safety was not difficult either as long as a passenger doesn't touch it when its turned on

Stephen Ayers and Caeruleus11 like this.
  11. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    Great description! Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  12. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    Caeruleus11 likes this.
  13. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    I've driven more Ferraris than most (sold for an authorized dealer for 12 years), and a Scud is one of my all time favorites, just behind a 458 Speciale. If you love to drive with passion and aggression, it would be hard to beat a Scud.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  14. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Thank you and please excuse me for going off topic, but if I read your license plate correctly, you are a Purple Heart recipient? Thank you for your service!

Reacherman1022 likes this.
  15. stretchgeneral

stretchgeneral Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 9, 2014
    MA/TX
    Full Name:
    McK
    When I got my 2011 458, I debated that over a Scud that was in the showroom. They were the same price. Not knowing anything at the time, I went with the newer 458 as my first Ferrari. No regrets.......but whenever I see a 430 Scud, I have a little buyer's remorse. So I guess I will just have to get another one!

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  16. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    Thanks - that helps identify me on the track - someone will say what the hell - oh its just John

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  17. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    John, good for you. I only wish arthritis had not robbed me of the skills I used to have, so my track days are in the past. I think the scud is a great car, but like I said earlier I just think OP should experience sometime behind the wheel of a few different models (and if he plans to have his wife with him bring her along when he does) before he decides. As most people here know I have had a lot of cars (but the same woman for the last 71/2 years) and my girlfriend has sat (or drove) many of them. My modified 4C (not trying to compare it to a scud but it is a bare shell of a car and loud), she loves (she would rather drive her 718 Cayman S) but the modified (what was once a 997S) she will not even get in. That car makes her uncomfortable since it can slide out the rear in a straight line if you are not paying attention. Cars like that and the 4C take two hands to drive and you need to be paying attention to the car not anything else. Some people love that (I do on occasion), but for a leisurely Sunday drive the 360, the 718S or the Evora 400, (or even the i8) with my favorite passenger would be a better choice for me. I don't know the OP but he asked for advise, and after owning (#465 was delivered yesterday) as many cars as I have (and I know a bit about cars), I have had my share of "why did I buy this thing" moments. I'm just trying to help make sure his first Ferrari purchase is not one of those.

G. Pepper likes this.
  18. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    I'll be the dissenter here. The 430 Scud doesn't impress me.
    It's at it's core a 430 with carbon bits, weight reduction and "racing" trim that any woman that I know would rather use the Kia to go out to dinner.
    It's fun when you're 18 to blast around town in a race setup. It gets old when you're on a bumpy road and NOT blasting down a track every weekend. Let alone convincing the wife to go out to dinner in a dress. (hint: she'd rather take the Mercedes or Porsche)
    As far as collectability... you need someone to BUY the car from you at a higher price than you bought it for. In the end it has a crappy F1 transmission and has the 360 and 430 chassis. "Fun" until you reach the limit and then the chassis gets nervous. The 458 is an improvement in every way. ESPECIALLY in the chassis and handling department. Explain to me why I would spend (in lets say 10-12 years time) as much money for a 430 based car as I would a 458 speciale? I wouldn't. I'd buy the 458 DCT based car that is better in every way. Especially if it enhances my limited weekend time at the track.
    If it tugs your heart strings go for it, but don't expect significant ROI. If your average Ferrari owner today is used to some POS 80's econobox and changing sparkplugs is a necessary evil, your Prius driving millennial isn't going to put up with a new F1 clutch every 30k miles or substandard handling.

19. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Everytime I read these threads, I return to one bit of perspective.

Buying a car - even a Ferrari - is not a marriage.

Meaning you can get one and then the other someday.

I’d get the scud and then trade it for a 458 if you tire of it or simply want a change. Most likely the scud will retain value better than the 458, so it should work out pretty good for you.

tryii and Formula Uno like this.
  20. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Scud is a very cool car. In fact it's quite a step above the standard 430. I will admit I was a skeptic. But once behind the wheel, the differences are very apparent. I love the 458, but the 430 scud is in a different catagory all together. Sure it doesn't shift as fast as the 458, but the over all feel of the car is amazing. I think it a much more fun car to drive then the 458.

Kinda like comparing a 355 to a 360. The 355 is so much more fun then the 360. Maybe not as fast, but damn when running top notch, you really can't beat it.

BigGenerator and DirtyScud like this.
  21. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    That's why real men take their wives to dinner in their F12. :)

DirtyScud and Caeruleus11 like this.
  22. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
  23. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    Thank you sir

24. Scudria

Scudria Rookie

Oct 21, 2013
    The Scud gives you a real Ferrari experience, you feel like you're in a racecar for the street when you drive it (but not super harsh like a challenge 430).. which to me is the real spirit of why I wanted a Ferrari. If you want a soft ride, soft shifts, etc., buy a BMW or a luxury brand. There's a reason why the Scud and CS are holding strong on pricing... everyone knows that they are true drivers cars with a raw experience that will never be duplicated again.

I really don't consider the ride in my Scud to be rough like some do, I guess it's all perspective. It has the soft-ride "shock button" that softens things up if you want it. But all real sports cars are going to ride a little on the rough side.

If I was looking for a daily driver Ferrari, I'd go with a 458... I know it wouldn't be the same experience, but it has the softer ride, double-clutch transmission, and would be a lot easier to get in and go with.

G. Pepper likes this.