Track day noise levels | FerrariChat

Track day noise levels

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by MaxR, Jun 8, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MaxR

MaxR Karting

Jun 19, 2013
    UK
    I was wondering if you guys over the pond have static or drive-by sound checks prior to going out on track or on track?

I was at a track day two weeks ago & a beautiful 458 literally had two laps on track before being sent home for being too noisy. Circuits here are being made to limit noise levels by local laws. Even the new Lotus Exige S3 fails driveby & static noise tests at most of the UK circuits & it will only get worse in the future.

2. Smyrna355Spider

Smyrna355Spider F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 9, 2008
    In my Garage
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Obviously I can't speak for most tracks but I can confirm some U.S. tracks do have noise restrictions. The National Corvette Museum track in Bowling Green Ky does and the Atlanta Motorsports Park does as well. They are usually around the 100db level, I think AMP is 98 and NCM is around 100. They don't tell car owners where the microphones are placed to check, but they will send you home if you can't stay below the max. noise level. :)

3. Benternet

Benternet Formula Junior

May 4, 2014
    TN
    Full Name:
    Ben
    wow, AMP is in the middle of nowhere, and the drone of the interstate in BG is as bad as anything I woudl think you'd get on the track..

4. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Can only speak of Laguna here - They have a static sound station just as you head up the hill - Obviously under full power.

The "solution" there is (basically) a couple of coke cans directing the sound toward the infield/away from the sound meter.

Or, lift a little when passing the silly thing! ;)

Suffice to say the whole thing pisses me off; Buy a house next to race track, what do you expect? *Nobody* lives near the thing, but still they complain!

Thruxton is definitively in BFNW, & it's been there forever. Yet still some complain.

Cheers,
    Ian

5. 360Tom

360Tom Formula 3

May 9, 2013
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I believe Sonoma Raceway has restrictions too. Most definitely on the Kart track.

6. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    Lime Rock Park in CT has battled noise restrictions almost since their very beginning (coming up on 60 years ago) and by an agreement with local government have a very limited number of unmuffled days and strict limits the rest of the time. LRP also has the ban on Sunday racing which they are attempting to have modified by giving up a certain number of unmuffled Tuesdays in return for a very limited number of Sundays. There is a committee of local residents, some of whom are only part-time residents, firmly opposed to the changes and looking to make things even harder for the track by putting them under the town zoning laws for noise and even the type of events that can be conducted on the property. Unfortunately for the committee the track pre-dates the town zoning laws and is, therefore, exempt.

boxerman likes this.
  7. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Road Atlanta has noise restrictions from 11:00 till 1:00 (I believe) on Sundays only. Apparently the place is surrounded by churches. But I don't understand that. Whatever happened to "make a joyful noise unto the Lord"?

Bundy likes this.
  8. IamRobG

IamRobG F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2007
    NY
    Dont you wonder what goes through people's heads sometimes?

"oh honey look at this beautiful neighborhood, lets buy here. Whats that godawful noise?"
    A race track
    "lets buy the house anyway and then fight for years to have the track closed"
    Good idea

Makuono likes this.
  9. ksmtmd

ksmtmd Rookie

Jan 12, 2016
    Pleasanton, CA
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Was just at Laguna Seca last weekend. After the checker flag on one lap I just went all out to see what happened... Image Unavailable, Please Login
    As long as I upshifted to 7th after turn 5 I was fine.

10. trumpet77

trumpet77 Formula 3

Jun 13, 2011
    Great Neck, NY
    Full Name:
    Robert Nixon
    Similar things happen around airports, whether civilian or military! The Sunday quiet hour seems to be more of a southern Bible Belt thing, there's also no running at Carolina Motorsports Park from 11-12 on Sundays, and it's really in the middle of nowhere.
    Most SCCA autocross events also have a 100db limit, but considering how close to that 100db you might be working on course I think it's more to protect everyone's hearing than worry about the neighborhood complaints!

11. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean

The legal term is called "comming to the nuisanece" and belive it or not if you get enough complainers and enough surrpounding development things can get shutdown. Towns are run by officials and these officials are most interested in revenue stream. When even an existing "nuisance" stands in the way of development and town officialdom revenue stream beware.

On the other hand many race tracks are the primary source of GBP in the surrounding area. What saves Lime Rock is it brings in a lot of sales and revenue for local merchants and residents.

These days any new track is built far away from population enters and a wise developer buys up all the surrounding land.

12. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Laguna Seca...... noise limits.
    Arizona Motorsports Park (AMP)...... 96db limit
    Wild Horse Pass.... No noise limits.......yet.

13. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Why do people want the noise of their cars above 95dB?
    I mean really, do you want tinnitus by the time you are retired?

Texas Forever likes this.
  14. JayEff

JayEff Karting

Aug 8, 2017
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    John
    I believe that British tracks get around this by having the race cars fitted with mufflers. At least at Brands and Snetterton they do.

15. hichamaziz

hichamaziz Rookie

Feb 16, 2018
    Full Name:
    hicham aziz
    hi me also I can confirm some U.S. tracks do have noise restrictions.

16. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    The noise level isn’t the goal, it is the byproduct. If there were options to provide the same level of gas flow and performance, and still provide a pleasing tone at a lower decibel level, I’m sure many would be all on board for it.

boxerman likes this.
  17. bh74

bh74 Rookie

Feb 2, 2016
    Silicon Valley
    I got black flagged at Thunderhill in northern CA. I was measured at 105dB, the limit was 103dB. 458 with F1 Exhaust. They didn't check until the end of the day, so I didn't miss much.

18. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean

Its hard top say. I think one can acheive the required gas flow. But the aftermarket seems obsesed with volume, perhaps because its and easier cheaper route to flow and people like noise. The only exhaust i have seen that focused on flow and tonality without going excessive on noise were the termingoni oval Cf motorcycle exhausts, but they also cost more.

Continuing with the motorcycle theme as an analogy. the most produced aftermarket exhausts are for harleys. With rare exceptions they are all about noise, and in pretty much every instance they actualy reduce performance compared to a properly designed tuned system.

How many ferrari aftermarket systems would be soid if they didnt dramaticaly increase noise?
    Your choice today is either muted stock, or too loud.

Racers they care about performance so the noise consequences are secondary to what works, weight and price. A properly tuned system with tonality volume and weight all taken into account can be done, its just going to cost more, and most people, want least expensive and loudest, hence the baffles on most new ferraris that go from muted to way too loud..

19. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    What's "way too loud"?

I understand and I have been told by factory exhaust experts, the loudest noise comes from unfiltered fuel detonations in the combustion chambers and aside from improving scavenging, the least restrictive exhaust (loudest) systems (from headers to tailpipes) achieve the highest HP performance from a given engine.

So unless you add a turbo, which kills the noise, I don't know how you can avoid "excessive noise" if engine performance is paramount.

FWIW, the local former-F1 track here does not seem to have any noise limits. They ran FXX Ks and 599 XXs, 599 XX EVOs, 458Cs here apparently without any special arrangements. It was amazing to watch and hear them tear around the circuit. Would they run as well while muffled... maybe not. ;)

20. stibbett

stibbett Karting

Mar 19, 2018
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Simon Tibbett
    Seems like an old thread but yeah many tracks have noise restrictions. AMP here in GA has restrictions with microphones around the track but hidden. There’s houses around and they need to please the community which I think is good.

The two hour Sunday quiet time at Road Atlanta is for church. Lol Though I promise if it were a circle track nobody would complain. Makes for a good brunch break for racers though I guess?

Laguna is super strict. Among others.

Noise is weird though. The ear blistering sound of a rotary doesn’t register as high on a db reader as a NASCAR V8.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    The Atlanta Motorsports Park noise limit is 98 dB, not 96 as stated above. We added baffling to a standard SR3 RSX dual exhaust to allow me to run at 96 dB without trouble. The live microphone is near turn 6. My buddy also had to adapt a new muffler for his Formula Atlantic to run at AMP.

The Laguna Seca noise limit was 92 dB when we raced there last June. All the SR3’s had to use the huge muffler shown below. The power and weight hit was noticeable.

I was out to dinner with a non-racing couple a few months ago, and they were complaining about the sound produced by the cars at Road Atlanta when staying with family in a newer subdivision nearby. I commented, “You do know that the track has been there since the 1950’s, and nobody forced your family to buy a newly built house near a race track?” Their blank stares were reflective of the general lack of sympathy for our racing passions among the general population.

It’s particularly a sad situation in Dawsonville, GA, because AMP is a huge economic benefit to the small rural town, and Bill Elliott’s jet causes much more noise during takeoffs and landings on the property next to the track. Somehow, that’s regulated differently.

I wrote a letter to the City Council last year to help Jeremy get a more reasonable noise limit. Fingers crossed that the situation eventually changes.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. stibbett

stibbett Karting

Mar 19, 2018
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Simon Tibbett
    Wow that’s wild on the Radical. Did they end up being too loud? When I was up there working something Jeremey had one out for demos and it just had the stock exhaust, or at least not that setup.

I’ve applauded what AMP has tried to do for Dawsonville. They do bring in money and even more potentially but it seems like the city and residents aren’t very receptive. I think it boils down to “fancy city folk moving in to our town.” If AMP was a dirt track they’d run until midnight with no noise regs and nobody would care.

Funny you mention the subdivisions near Road Atlanta. A friend just bought a house in one of the new subdivisions off 211 further back behind Mulberry Creek. You can hear the track clear as day. He’s a car guy so doesn’t care and knew you’d be able to hear it considering how close it backs up to the track. It pisses me off when people complain in a neighborhood built recently near a race track that has been around way longer and you mention. Luckily Hall really likes the money RA brings so it hasn’t been a very easy fight for anyone complaining yet.

23. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    Simon,

The crazy exhaust in the pic above was developed by Radical North America specifically to meet the super stringent Laguna 92 dB limit on the June race weekend.

For AMP, the standard SR3 RSX dual exhaust registered 102-103 dB, so Racing Analytics fitted steel wool baffles and two caps with drilled holes onto a spare standard SR3 exhaust (the slip-on component aft of the muffler can). That reduced the ouput to 96 dB.

So, I now have 3 exhausts that I fit to my car depending on where I run. Pretty silly.

I think your analysis of the Dawsonville political sentiment is spot-on. Hopefully, that will change with time. AMP has only been open for about 6 years.

I’ve stayed in the B&B across from the track and barely heard the cars. I think the sound limit could be raised without adversely affecting the quality of life for the Dawsonville residents.

24. stibbett

stibbett Karting

Mar 19, 2018
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Simon Tibbett
    Ah Ok! I've seen some crazy exhaust setups at Laguna, I'm sure you've seen the Porsche guys and their wild contraptions.

Maybe I'll see you around up there (probably have) I'm up there coaching a bit.

-Simon

25. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    Look forward to seeing you at AMP & RA.