Apple CarPlay on Portofino $4,219 - Is that a price list typo? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Apple CarPlay on Portofino $4,219 - Is that a price list typo?

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by F430 Driver, Feb 22, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mizio

Mizio Rookie

Aug 27, 2017
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Maurizio
    Hi there. I am new here. Seriously thinking of getting a Portofino. Coming from a SL550, great car but acceleration is limited, perhaps because of the 2 tons weight. One question about CarPlay. In case I don’t get it (I agree that $4k+ seems outrageously expensive for some software), would I still be able to use my Iphone connected via bluetooth and make hands-free calls? That’s the minimum you get from any car these days! Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #27 TheMayor, Feb 24, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
    Yes. All Car play does is put the apps from your phone on the screen. BT phone is just like any car.

If you are in the USA and are planning on getting one and never bought a new Ferrari before from your local dealer, don't expect one anytime soon. And, you cannot shop around various dealers unless there isn't a dealer within 100 miles of where you live. If you live within 100 miles of any official dealer, you have to get a new car there. Other dealers will not sell them to you. If you don't have a local dealer, you can go anywhere.

But, good luck in trying to get one. Visit your local dealer as quickly as possible. I don't believe any are taking any orders now but at least you can learn the score.

Something tells me that one of the reasons Car play is so expensive is that it can used with Siri to be the GPS. Ferrari charges a lot for GPS and maybe is trying to get the money back this way form people thinking they will get Car play as an alternative.

F430 Driver likes this.
  3. Mizio

Mizio Rookie

Aug 27, 2017
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Maurizio
    Thanks. That’s reassuring. I live in NJ and I will visit the local dealer in NJ just to see the car and perhaps try it but I am planning to buy it in Italy when I retire as I will be enjoying the car there! I will be visiting the local Ferrari dealer in my hometown where I am going for Easter. Kind regards

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

4. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Talk to your dealer about European delivery. But, it might be faster to just order one there. They are talking orders for them in Europe now but not the US yet.

5. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    the car play option is an insult this is one thing that is easily comparable for example my daughters 2017 KIA Sorrento has car play and she paid 25K for the whole car I just bought a Subaru for my mother and it was part of the the premium package the car cost 30K .. . the apple car play should either be a very low cost option or just don't offer it .. but to charge 4200 is just plain crazy it is just software.....

andruslik, F430 Driver and TheMayor like this.
  6. bpolsky

bpolsky Rookie

Nov 4, 2017
    Appropriately equipped Portofino approaches $275,000!! Not what i was expecting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    Apparently this is what entry level costs now a days.............

8. Raydog9379

Raydog9379 Karting

Jan 10, 2018
    Full Name:
    Ray
    And this is when a lot of guys are going to say screw it... wait a year or so and buy a car for <200k with less than 2k miles on it. Might take a little longer than the Cali T because of the new model, but plenty of 2017's out there in the 175-210k range depending on options/miles. Cars that a few months ago new were 60-80k more expensive as new.

9. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Hard to beat used unless you're uber picky about options or can't wait...T

10. good2go

good2go Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2016
    I really like Apple CarPlay in my California T.

Try keying in directions in Ferrari’s interface, almost impossible. With CarPlay I just hit a button on the steering wheel and say get directions to... and it works. Make calls, play music, send and receive text messages. It works.

LARRYH and Avia11 like this.
  11. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    I've messed with the Ferrari gps for all of about 3-5 minutes and used the Garmin provided by the company I rent the Cali T from. When I get one for home I doubt I'll need gps much but the Cali T interface does seem complicated. Now the 2014 down gps appears to be exactly like the ones in our Ram truck and Chrysler Minivan and should be fairly easy to use though I want to stress the should part.

If the Portofino interface is similar to the Cali T then it will suck as well. Ironically since I wasn't aware of this "feature" until a buddy of mine at the sherries Dept. received a new 2017 Ram truck that had it. I have to say it is nice. Appears that there are at least a half dozen after market stereos that have car play and the android equivalent and start at about 299.00 and go up to just over 600.00. So it does seem to me that maybe Ferrari is charging quite a bit but if you are optioning out a new Ferrari and want Apple Car Play I bet you just check the box and move on at least 8 out of 10 times. But if it's something you don't care about and don't think you will need you skip the option.

I'd agree with an earlier post and just include it and add the price into the base price and call it a day since the price appears to be quite a bit higher then other car makers and could paint Ferrari in a negative light, or at least negative enough to show up on the bottom line.

12. JimmyChooToo

JimmyChooToo Karting

Aug 7, 2017
    It’s 2022 and someone likes me comes along and there are two Portofino’s. One is $145,000 with 10,000 miles without CarPlay and the other one is $150,000 with 13,000 miles with CarPlay. I’m going with the CarPlay one with more miles and costs $5,000 more.

It may be $4,000 now, but you’ll get your money back.

13. RCorsa

RCorsa Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 5, 2014
    West Coast
    LOL, are you new to Ferrari land or is this a joke? I can tell you that in over 12 years of Ferrari ownership, I have never seen an option retain its value. Especially true for electronics which are outdated within 12 month of ownership. You think that a 4 year old interface will be worth 4000-5000K in 2022? If so I have a great 45 inch plasma TV for sale for $10,000, please PM and I will sell you...:)

Boomhauer, doowop67, 191185 and 8 others like this.
  14. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    I might be wrong but are you sure that Ferrari gets these amounts ? I dare say a high percentage goes to the dealer, hence wanting you to spend big time on extra's.

15. JimmyChooToo

JimmyChooToo Karting

Aug 7, 2017
    #40 JimmyChooToo, Feb 28, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
    Not a joke. You missed the point. When I was shopping for my California, I would gladly pay $5,000 more for a comparable car with Steering Wheel LEDs vs one without. And I did. Because that’s what I wanted. The same will be true for CarPlay.

And 4 year old iOS is hardly a joke and still very usable and still better than the newest Android in my opinion. Your plasma TV straw man doesn’t work because we all know aftermarket CarPlay is $229 today (Pioneer Double-Din), but who’s gonna add it that way?? Ferrari has a captive market and they know it. I didn’t buy my car for the latest consumer tech anyway, because the consumer electronics in all Ferrari are all 8+ years old on day one. I will wait for 2025 for Ferrari lane keep assist and 360 camera.

16. JimmyChooToo

JimmyChooToo Karting

Aug 7, 2017
    #41 JimmyChooToo, Feb 28, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
    LOL! Really?? You haven’t?? In 12 years, huh??

Why don’t you tell that to the 2 to 5 people that ordered the 6-Speed manual Cali that no “option retain(s) its value” ?? I think they will disagree with you. LOL

Here’s an even simpler example to understand. Tell that to the person that didn’t want to pay $1,621 for Shields. Until “the fashion” changes, I’m pretty sure those that did got their money back.

17. Raydog9379

Raydog9379 Karting

Jan 10, 2018
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Or just save the 4-5k and press the button on your phone and say "google maps". Then tell it your destination. Yeah not as sexy as a link on the screen with your car, but google maps or wayze is lightyears ahead of apple's maps. As of now, there's no interface on CarPlay to use either of them... only the crappy apple maps function.

amenasce and LARRYH like this.
  18. good2go

good2go Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2016
    I finding it incredibly interesting that people that spend $250K on a car are concerned about the cost of the options. Base price means nothing. You get the options which is cool. California T was not $200K it was $240k to $280k, The Portofino is $250k to $290K. You you be happier if they said the car cost $280K pick what ever options you want?

Trying to cost justify a Ferrari - Seriously?

Its a car. It will depreciate. If you are lucky enough to afford one, awesome, buy one, drive it and have fun. I am very confident in saying the more times you fill the gas tank, the more joy and value you will get from your Ferrari.

As I stated I like Apple CarPlay.

azlin75 likes this.
  19. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    My RACE stock appreciates you guys who pay these prices ! :D

DGPF, F430 Driver and tomc like this.
  20. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    True words. The day I bought the Cali, I visualized a big stack of $$$ being flushed down the toilet!

However, I don't think anyone likes to feel they're being taken advantage of when making a purchase.

T

F430 Driver likes this.
  21. RCorsa

RCorsa Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 5, 2014
    West Coast
    Lol. You must not have too much experience wit that brand. Unless a car has something special and rare (like a manual transmission) the way these cars are sold after initial purchase is based on auction data. Most of the prices are based on model year and mileage, not options. There are certain options or lack of options and colors that will make a car harder to sell (like the lack of shields or for many LEDs) but ultimately the average prices of used Ferrari’s is made up very little by options which is why high MSRP cars depreciate more. Ask anyone here that has owned 5 or more Ferrari’s and spec’d many new ones. I promise that your example of paying 5k more for a 4-5 year old Ferrari would never happen if the cars were exactly the same otherwise. It’s a silly example, but if you want to waste your money go ahead. I could really care less.

DGPF likes this.
  22. JimmyChooToo

JimmyChooToo Karting

Aug 7, 2017
    LOL, now you are qualifying your blanket statement. You said you have never seen any options retain its full value. I gave you multiple examples to the contrary and now you are backpedaling.

ALL used car values are based on auction prices, not just Ferrari’s. There is nothing special there my friend. And of course people are willing to pay extra for certain options. That was my point all along. The 6-speed Cali option is currently worth a 400% premium and it will probably easily pass $1,000,000 in the next 10 to 20 years. $5,000 for an option people actually want, all else being equal, is peanuts. If you were remotely correct, all cars of the same make, model, and mileage would sell for the exact same price, but they don’t. Not even close. That’s why blue book and other auction derived prices is an >>Average<< that excludes >>Outliers<< (like that Cali 6-Speed).

23. RCorsa

RCorsa Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 5, 2014
    West Coast
    How many new Ferrari’s have you spec’d, bought and sold...my friend?

DGPF likes this.
  24. JimmyChooToo

JimmyChooToo Karting

Aug 7, 2017
    Why does it matter?? The Ferrari used car market works exactly the same as any luxury car market. I am a hedge fund quant. I price complex derivatives all day long for 20+ years. I price things that are much more complicated than used car values and worth 1,000 times more than a Ferrari.

25. RCorsa

RCorsa Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 5, 2014
    West Coast
    So zero... get some real world experience with this and then come back to me.