Maserati Khamsin | Page 287 | FerrariChat

Maserati Khamsin

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Maeter, Feb 24, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hello all,

Very quiet here lately, hibernation in progress;-)?

Anyway by sheer luck the other day I stumbled upon a video I had wanted to see for years, a French TV car show in which they focused on the one off Khamsin spyder. This show dates back to 1995. For those not familiar with it it was cut when new by the workshop of a Gary Forbis in Port Huron Michigan, USA, a shop which specialized in making limousines. It has not shown any signs of flex since as those chassis are very sturdy but the interior by now needs attention, back then it looked decent. The owner interviewed in the video had a hard top made. He sold the car 11 years ago to an acquaintance of mine. I drove it for my book and it was very pleasant, the automatic works well with the low revving V8 and the relaxed pace one tends to adopt in a spyder.

The segment starts at 26 minutes 14 seconds and lasts about four minutes.

http://www.turbo.fr/emission-turbo/415496-emission-turbo-du-24-06-1995-cabriolet-maserati-khamsin-break-renault-laguna-nevada.html

Enjoy!

In other news I will be at Retromobile from the media evening of Tuesday and every day till Friday 6PM, hope to see some of you there.

Best regards,

MS

2. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Yawn,

BAT is as appropriate for a K as Bubba's burger joint would be for a date with a Contessa, no snobbery in my analogy at all but as Ivan's attempt with 1224 a few weeks ago showed it does not reach the right audience AT ALL. Hopeless.

Good night from a snowy Paris exhausted after walking a gazillion miles inside Retromobile and in the auction previews, while speaking to God knows how many wonderful people in our mad classic car world.

Marc

3. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Hello All...

Attached is an interesting perspective of a Khamsin.. The car is AM120US1120...
    And it is NOT being converted to Euro bumpers !!! (That should ruin Marc's weekend ! :D:))...

Enjoy.....

Mike

Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Foncool

Foncool Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2011
    An uncircumcised Khamsin.

5. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Darn where is my Prozac argh;-)!

6. AMLC

AMLC Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2009
    Hello, here are some Khamsin (related) videos that I didn't see before::

- a Khamsin in a collection in Paris (at around 1:30, US car?, looks like it needs restoration, also a Merak):

- a Khamsin in a collection in Japan(white (of course)):

- unboxing a 1:18 Khamsin (red):

- new LHM tanks from the UK (Pro Alloy):

7. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery

8. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #7159 Nembo1777, Feb 25, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
    One more surfaces.

Khamsin AM120128 has emerged in France from single ownership in one family after an entirely hidden life, never showing up in club events etc.

It lived on Ile de Re an island on the Atlantic coast linked to the mainland by a bridge, the owner passed away, it then was owned by one descendant then another and so a man from another region, southeastern France, became the owner.

It was sold by the then French importer Thepenier on 23/9/75 to Mr Flament metallic grey/natural (tan).

It has long ago been repainted navy blue.

The new owner has a top upholstery shop so he has immediately redone the interior, very well.

How did I come to meet him? You can't make this up. It was at Retromobile where I spent 4 days early this month and with 104000 visitors everybody from Europe and the US is there, you meet lots of people you already know, I must have met half a dozen current or former K owners. But this time I was walking in one of the aisles and I overheard a conversation to my right and the K word...I kid you not! plus I recognized the voice, a friend from the Alps region who has owned four K's, two of which I sold for him years ago 016 and 204. I said hello and he was there with his wife and a man he introduced me to, the one who had lucked into being at the right place at the right time to buy 128. There are but a handful or single ownership cars remaining worldwide so this is special. I should be able to pay him a visit in the next few months, he is amazed by the car, in awe, and loves driving it:)

MS

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

NEP and au-yt like this.
  9. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Just noticed one thing: look top of the page just under the name of the thread: happy tenth birthday to this thread:)

10. AMLC

AMLC Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2009
    Great!

Are you still updating the registry? Some numbers could be updated (like "........and the "Maserati Khamsin" thread (discussion) within it is now at over 6000 posts and over 640000 views....... ")
    And maybe add a list of all cars with chassis number and 2 or 3 photos?
    Would be fun to browse through that list.

It's just an idea, I know it's a lot of work and you are busy all the time!

11. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hello AMLC,

Your enthusiasm is greatly appreciated.

Yes I am updating the Registry all the time such as 1186 which was sold in the last few weeks from a dealership in Belgium to a Flemish or Dutch owner who will keep the car in his estate in Normandy. I will meet him and perhaps the car at Le Mans Classic in July. He promised a nice photoshoot on the Atlantic cliffs. Will post a few photos here if and when it happens.

Putting everything, all my notes (about 340 of 430 cars) and photos (over 7000) , on the website is unfeasible, it would take sooo much time and I would have to clean up rewrite all my notes which are in rough draft format...that would take a very different approach and this remains a hobby with NO obligations to anyone. Years ago I considered for about 3,2 seconds making this a paysite but then it would not be enjoyable anymore, instead as things stand now I deal with who I want and if a speculator wants to use me I just pull out my cannon and tell them to go to hell before shooting:) freedom is priceless:)

Now the market is purging the investors who are leaving with their tails between their legs and eventually Khamsins will change hands between enthusiasts only, as always:)

Have to wake up verrrrry early to finish an article, good night!

M

12. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    It had to happen, I listed #435 for sale. Circumstances won't permit me to finish her, she deserves a good home.
    See the ad here: www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C965899 Khamsin 120435 RHD

Thanks for all the support here, I wonder how anyone keeps these going without this group!

Best,
    Jack.

13. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Hello Jack...

Very sorry to hear you are selling your K !!!

Thank you for all your support and help over the years!!!

Mike

14. dkbluec4

dkbluec4 Rookie

May 29, 2006
    Northampton UK
    Full Name:
    Neil Lefley
    Hello,
    I am slowly putting #393 back together, but I am missing the top stainless trims from the left hand door.
    Can anyone help me source these parts, please ?
    I am in the UK.
    Thanks,
    Neil.

15. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hello Neil,

Good to hear from you. McGraths in the UK Maseratinet in the US, Campana in Modena are the usual suspects, I do not know of any K being parted out.

Best of luck and perhaps you might share some photos of you work on 393.

In other news 396 was sold recently from Switzerland and 1224 was sold a few days ago by Ivan within the US, nice to see one stay in the US for a change. I am marketing two there at present but bet they will end up in Europe like many others, a pity.

Marc

16. rga

rga Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2012
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Roger the Dodger
    Hello Marc

Which Country has 396 gone to ?

And here a little quiz.
    Found this picture and advertisement in Classic & Sportscar Nov. 1989 but could not identify or attribute this car.
    It seems to have white painted rims, same as 1246, but it is obviously a RHD car and not many with blue interior!

Can you help?

Best regards, Roger

17. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hi Roger,

Long time no hear, hope you are well!

396 was bought by a German but he is very discreet I shall say no more, suffice to say I heard from him in the last couple of days, he had been looking for a while.

Re the car in the ad... if it is butter yellow that would be 409 if it is indeed white then not sure, can you read the number plate on the original? I am swamped with work but will look at the white RHD cars I have in my files.

All the best,

Marc

18. khamsin433

khamsin433 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2009
    Birmingham, UK
    Full Name:
    Balbir
    Advertising says white with blue leather Marc, so definitely not 409.

Bal

19. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Thanks Bal, it looked yellowish in the photo but ok, will look at database later today. Hopefully it is an unknown one:)

20. rga

rga Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2012
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Roger the Dodger
    Sorry Marc,

even on the original picture I cannot make out a reg. number; to me this white car is unaccounted for.

In the same copy of Classic & Sportscar you can find an advertisement by the Italian Car Center in Wandsworth London for:

"1974 Maserati Khamsin, a fully restored RHD 5-speed example in silver"
    and
    "1975 Maserati Khamsin, a RHD auto version finished in metallic blue with ivory"

In the enclosed picture you can make out the one on the right with registration '400 CBD' which identifies it as #331 and later sold to Finland
    but the second one ? could that be #317 although advertised as the later car as a 1975 model?
    The other two blue automatic cars #363 and #377 are much later cars, they must have been registered 1977 or 1978, so is this one also unaccounted for ?
    Maybe I am climbing trees here...

Roger

21. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery

Hi Roger, Bal all, found it: it is 385 which once had a Mahogany rear wing (what was the owner smoking!!!) and is now in Norway where it has been for quite a few years already with an enthusiast who posts here once in a while. It had been converted from RHD to LHD but when the owner and I discussed this last summer at length he decided to put it back to rhd and may delete the sunroof which was fitted at some point. The car is in poor shape but he will get it done he is very skilled but has been busy with other matters.

Will answer post 7171 later on, it brings back olllld memories:)

Best regards,

Marc

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. rga

rga Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2012
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Roger the Dodger
    Hello Marc

Excellent Investigation!!

I did not consider the change to LHD.
    Looking forward to your reply of #7171.

Roger

23. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hi Roger the number of "suspects in the line up" was rather small:)

Yep a little later tonight with a good glass of wine:)

24. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #7175 Nembo1777, Mar 18, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
    So regarding that Italian car centre in Wandsworth south London ad: it is just a fleeting but strong memory.
    My first trip to London was in I think 1978 (I was 14) with my parents, staying with friends and it involved a lot of driving around chasing antique stores, we came back with a huge turtle shell of all things:).
    We drove once or twice through Wandsworth and that company ( think it was them but cannot be absolutely sure) had at least two Khamsins parked outside on a sort of raised concrete warehouse ramp. It was just a fleeting vision from the back seat as we drove by one of them was white another silver I think but it counts as one of my first ever K sightings and those sleek elegant shapes that seemed to be doing 300kph when standing still certainly made an impression. In those days if I asked to stop the car I was royally ignored by parental authority until one night in Paris driving home after theater I saw a white Countach by the Plaza Athenee hotel was ignored again but at the next red traffic light I eloped!:) I got to see it and then got....comprehensively shouted at! But within a year or two I had my moped and would everyday after school drive near the Plaza, the Georges V, the short lived Nova Park -where I saw one of the two Panther 6 wheelers!- etc to spot cars including some K's.

Regarding that ad. Khamsin 331 is in Finland, I spoke with the man he is Porsche 911 specialized dealer (nobody's perfect) but wanted the Khamsin for its design so he never drives it, it is like sculpture to him. Regarding the other one Roger yes I think you are trying to climb up a 30 foot tall reed...too many blue cars and a decades old ad is not so relevant. If it were a rare color on the other hand...

Thanks for posting it and bringing back a nice memory though:)

Marc