Mondials For Sale | Page 52 | FerrariChat

Mondials For Sale

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by 123howie, May 26, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JustinD

JustinD Rookie

Jul 15, 2012
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    Justin Dillon
    No no no... No German cars lol my brother is the Porsche Guy in the family, my Uncle the BMW...

If I go with a Mondial 8 should I consider an A/C upgrade?

2. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    Not sure what kind of A/C upgrade you mean. The A/C of the 8 version works as good as the QV, 3.2 or T. The difference is in the mount of the A/C where you need to build out the A/C to get to the water pump if you would need to replace it (QV the same) where as the 3.2 the mount is different where you do not have to touch the A/C to get to the water pump.

What you put in the A/C is a different story :) R12 is not available anymore, but that is a problem for all the models.

The interior console of the 8 is more handy in reaching to the right buttons then its younger sisters IMHO. Often when I reach out to open the Windows I press the glove compartment box. It's quite fun when you have new passengers on board!

The 8 is a great GT, but is the less powerful then the younger ones, but if you have it merely to make tours it's more then sufficient. In all fairness I drive often more slow then fast. I like the 8 in black! Btw there is an aftermarket Turbo that you can place into the 8 version approx. 4 to 5k I believe.

3. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I am a bit biased, but I went looking for my Mondial it was between a 3.2 and a t. Coupe only.

For people who say you don't "need" power steering, try the t coupe. Unless you knew it had power steering, once moving it is just a solid as any non-power steering car I have driven. Driving a 3.2 below about 3-5 mph takes some muscle. Having P/S certainly made the acquisition a lot easier to get by the Minister of War and Finance (wife).

The adjustable shocks are certainly a nice feature (from similar vintage Corvette), but not as important as the P/S IMHO. I usually just leave it in normal and go.

I drove the car from Illinois to Florida on purchase. Car was comfortable, although will say the seats could use a little more padding towards the rear, where the seat bottom meets the backrest. But not enough of an issue for me to bring it to the upholstery shop to address that.

While the side strakes on the 3.2 do look better (along with the slight wheel arches), to me the interior of the t is way nicer ergonomically than the 3.2. Much more organized at a minimum. On paper the power difference is not much, but on the street is seems like the 3.4L has "bigger" stallions than the 3.2 (aftermarket exhaust may help).

The hardest part is trying to get a ride in what you are looking at to decide. I found peoples feedback here very helpful, as I bought mine with getting a ride in a t (but did get a ride in a 3.2). Take your time, I spent about 2 years looking, (and passed on another t coupe that was almost local), before I found the right one.

Justin, feel free to PM me with any question on the t coupe.

Regards
    Jerry

JustinD and paulchua like this.
  4. bocaf430

bocaf430 Formula 3

Jun 10, 2014
    LI, boca raton
  5. JustinD

JustinD Rookie

Jul 15, 2012
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    Justin Dillon
    With regards to A/C upgrade I was referring to the an R12 Conversion do you know if one is available the Turbo Kit would be an option to consider.

I also must admit I am considering a 456 as well not for the Automatic but for the storage capacity, and parts availability on my trip.

6. JustinD

JustinD Rookie

Jul 15, 2012
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    Justin Dillon
    Jerry thanks for all the info, I will PM with Questions. I'm also considering the 456 my fiancee is not a fan of the 80s look of the Mondial lol I think the are beautiful and the 456 is actually a little blah.

7. JustinD

JustinD Rookie

Jul 15, 2012
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    Justin Dillon
    Thanks everyone for all the great input! I will keep everyone posted on how my search goes and what I end up with! I have some more questions regarding some dimensions. What are the dimensions of the roof (have to have a custom rack made) and the dimensions of the Boot.

My I am also considering the 400i, 412GT and the 456M GT all tend to be in close price range though my fiancee prefers the 456. My biggest problem is that I love them all! My dream would be make the 330GTC 2+2 but that is not I'm the budget lol.

Also I am setting a Blog and YouTube Channel to document the adventure, I will post more on it later.

Jeka likes this.
  8. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    I'm currently in the process of demolishing a 456M. I have demolished quite a number of Mondials and 308's so far, but I must say that the difference in build quality of the 456M against the cars of the 80's is quite impressive. The way the 456M was made in the factory is impressive. All part groups and systems have a clear setup and are easy to reach and replace, all cables are well designed and connectors are very easy to unplug. Sometimes when demolishing a car of the 80's, I'm wondering how the hell the 'ingenieri' managed to do it in such a complex way, just asking for troubles. With the 456M (and the cars of that period and later), a new standard is set and you can really see that things were designed with the help of advanced computing. Anyhow, even then I still prefer driving and looking at the Mondials :)

paulchua likes this.
  9. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    456 is a very nice cars, but one must have deep pockets for parts and they are hard to find. Stekkefun4 just got to part out, but still. You are better of with a 400/412 for that. Ask around in the other sections for these rides. I do love them and the 456 is a brute machine! Though I would go for a 400/412 since I just like them better. I would not take too much in account what my wifes likes, because I need to drive it :)

Drive each one of them and decide, ask questions and do PPIs, but I think you know this already.

10. mustbenuts

mustbenuts Karting

May 14, 2017
    Lancaster, PA USA
    Full Name:
    GR
    Originally had pined for a 456 - wife and kids actually got me one years ago for holiday (in scale) in an attempt to placate my whining - though short of robbing peter to pay paul the Mondi was more feasible. Build processes should improve with age and acknowledging importance of technology I would think with a limited run manufacturer the feedback loop would be as beneficial.

11. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Please do this, channels with REAL people with REAL budgets that most of us can relate to are in short supply....tired of the young Brit kids with endless budgets driving stuff that I cannot even hope to have.

Freerange72 likes this.
  12. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I heard that the automatic ones put you in a compromised position if the tranny goes out; the cost of repair/replacement is 20K plus.

Is this true or urban myth?

13. mustbenuts

mustbenuts Karting

May 14, 2017
    Lancaster, PA USA
    Full Name:
    GR
    Will be interested in following both. Please post more information as you progress.

14. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I ran into this concern before I got my current Mondial, as I started out looking for a 456.
    However, when I asked around about it on the 456 forum, nobody had any problems to report. I think it is expensive if it goes, but everyone I know who's had or has a 456 has nothing but good things to say about them. Would love to know for sure myself. It's "modern car" I'd like to have at some point.

paulchua likes this.
  15. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    The auto is based on the GM 4 speed auto of the same vintage. There is some minor differences, but I am told that if you change the fluid regularly, they are very robust. I think there was a discussion of this on the 456 forum some time ago.

Regards,
    Jerry

davemqv likes this.
  16. JustinD

JustinD Rookie

Jul 15, 2012
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    Justin Dillon
    #1291 JustinD, Feb 26, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
    Wow the feedback is incredible, I am so glad I post this question. I am pretty set on the Mondi, It has to be a coupe, so the search continues. I am not gonna lie I am actually very concerned with the Color Combo. I was looking at all the colors, and my Fiancee made the point "No body buys a Ferrari to not be Notice! Get it in Red!" LOL

17. JustinD

JustinD Rookie

Jul 15, 2012
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    Justin Dillon
    Awesome, I will let you know when I start it I registered the domains RevinRedline.com and DrivingYourCar.com haven't decided which I want to use. My Fiancee loves RevinRedline.com but I am can't decide love them both. My friend is a musician and has written a them for RevinRedline incorporating the reving engine sound of a Mondial. I also have the a cool animation of a Tach with needle going to Redline we used the Tach from a Mondial for the simulation. I totally agree I can't stand seeing these Millennials drive Lambos and AMG SLs. I want my channel to be all about the search, the prep and the journey. I want people to look at it and say "I could do that" and "is that really a luggage rack on the roof?".

18. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Dont listen to your fiancee ! Let your hart speak...mondials are looking "bellisima" in other colors !

Guido

MvT likes this.
  19. JustinD

JustinD Rookie

Jul 15, 2012
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    Justin Dillon
    But I do love Rossa Corsa!!! My 308GT4 is Rossa Corsa with black and red interior and Gold wheels an omage to it's racing history, the 308GTS/QV is Ferrari Rossa with Tan and my 208GTB Turbo is now Tour d'France Blue with red racing interior and white wheels... So I am pretty sure I am going with with red. Sierra Blue with tan and Grigio with Bordeaux would be my second choices. If I were to get a convertible it would be Black and Tan no question about.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using FerrariChat.com mobile app

paulchua likes this.
  20. mustbenuts

mustbenuts Karting

May 14, 2017
    Lancaster, PA USA
    Full Name:
    GR
    You just stay away from those Grigio colored one, Justin. :)

21. sidtx

sidtx F1 Rookie
    Owner

Feb 9, 2014
    Frisco, Tx
    Full Name:
    Sid
    Il Steeg, MvT and paulchua like this.
  22. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Updated the spreadsheet (the old one was a bit unwieldy)
    (I'm sure I'm missing data, I've added comment access - feel free to add any corrections, etc.)

Some interesting stats
    t cab Max/Min
    Max: 2013 Don Davis $85,250
    Min: 2014 Mecum $25,500

t coupe Max/Min
    Max: 2015 AuctionData €95,200 ($116,000)
    Min: 2014 Brooklands £23,250 ($32,340)

3.2 cab
    Max: 2016 Indianapolis $54,000
    Min: 2014 Houston $17,000

3.2 coupe
    Max: 2015 Silverstone £34,875 ($48,511)
    Min: 2003 Scottsdale $27,225

QV cab
    Max: 2017 Brooklands £42,000 ($58,421)
    Min: 2005 Barret-Jackson $15,840

QV coupe
    Max: 2016 Paris $37,252
    Min: 2012 CarFest £11,088 ($15,423)

Max: 2017 Barret-Jackson $38,500
    Min: 2011 Silverstone £8,360 ($11,628)

Key takeaway? Condition, Condition, Condition!
    The range is 4X from low to high on many models.

23. mustbenuts

mustbenuts Karting

May 14, 2017
    Lancaster, PA USA
    Full Name:
    GR
    Lovely example.

24. alexion

alexion Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2013
    New York