Dash cam in F12? | FerrariChat

Dash cam in F12?

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by WilliamB, Feb 6, 2018.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. WilliamB

WilliamB Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2017
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    William
    Do you have a dash cam in your F12?

I am contemplating whether I should and like to get some advice or opinion. I believe that dash cams are not that much in use yet in Western Europe but the number certainly is on the rise. Certainly like the legal aspect of it (being able to provide evidence in case) but hate the cluttering of a beautiful car.
    My biggest concern though is not the drive itself but more when the car is parked unguarded. No system for that yet (unless one drains the battery).
    What do you guys think, would it be wise?

2. 350MH83

350MH83 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2014
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Max
    All my cars are equipped with dashcams, and so will my Lusso that I should receive on the 22nd of this month. If you want the parking mode, you have various options. The first one is something similar to the « power magic pro ». It lets you hardwire the camera to the car battery, and you can then choose when the current will be cut. Either after a certain time, or when the battery voltage falls below a threshold that you can set. This is what I have on my cars and never got an issue with flat battery (although none of them were Ferraris so far). The other solution is to use a dedicated battery pack. Most dashcam brands offer one. The battery gives you up to 12hr of recording in parking mode, and doesnt rely on the car battery at all, so no risk at this level. Now I cant really consider driving a car without a dashcam. It adds a lot of confidence, and I also noticed I tend to drive better, as to never incriminate myself. They have proven very useful already a couple of times over the last 3 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WilliamB likes this.
  3. FFantastic

FFantastic Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2015
    UK Riviera
    Blackview. great little discreet unit hides behind the rear view mirror and can be moved from car to car by having a few extra discreet holders that fix direct to the windscreen. never go out without it.

WilliamB likes this.
  4. 350MH83

350MH83 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2014
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Max
    That's what I have as well. 650s on all cars, and I just purchased the 750 for the Lusso.

WilliamB likes this.
  5. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    I have a Blackvue 750 1CH with a blendmount and Power Magic Pro on my Speciale.

Never had an issue with a flat battery.

WilliamB likes this.
  6. WilliamB

WilliamB Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2017
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    William
    Dear FFantastic, 350MH83 and obbob, it seems that the three of you went for the same brand, all the tube-like type of a dashcam. Does that not obstruct the view in a F12 somewhat, as it needs to be mounted next (left or right) of the rearview mirror (which is pretty solid on the windscreen)? I was thinking about the model of VIOFO A119S, as those kind of models are obstructed least.
    And as for the blendmount, impossible here in Switzerland (once caught, heavy fine + police or even border patrol, will simply confiscate). Advice appreciated!

7. 350MH83

350MH83 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2014
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Max
    I have a left hand drive car (France) so I put the camera behind the rearview mirror, slightly on passenger side. I can barely see it from my peripherical vision from the driver seat. Below is a pic of it mounted on my GLS. Note that this camera slides off of the mount by pulling it to the left, so I needed to make sure to have enough gap between the rearview mirror and the dashcam to be able to do that. Also, when installing the dashcam, make sure to mount it in a part of the windshield that is covered by the wipers... I know it sounds obvious.
    I picked this model from the reviews and the 2 channel capability. I also like the fact that as it is a tube, it wont move out of position when subjected to high acceleration (like in an accident). While models that are hanging from a mount will tend to swing toward the windscreen and film the sky in case of frontal shock.
    Regarding the blendmount, I believe there is a risk only if you use it for a radar detector. But surely for a dashcam there will be no issue?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. WilliamB

WilliamB Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2017
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    William
    Thank you 350MH83! t looks not to be too intrusive for the co-driver either. Absolutely right as one easily forget that an impact can swirl some mounted cams.
    As for the Blendmount, I was simply referring to their radar detector, which is a problem in several countries.

9. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    Blendmount is just a mounting apparatus. They make one designed to hold a blackvue camera.

I use it mainly for aesthetic reasons. It makes the camera look less noticeable from the outside. Using a sticky pad or suction cup can look unsightly.

10. WilliamB

WilliamB Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2017
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    William
    Sorry 'guys', thought Blendmount was more than that. Just checked out their site but saw their range still is limited.

11. donutcritic

donutcritic Rookie

Feb 4, 2018
    Palo Alto
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
    Please post pics of your dashcams installed, would be great to see how stealth they are!

12. WilliamB

WilliamB Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2017
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    William
    I've not ordered the cam yet as my car still is in its 'winter-sleep'.
    It might take me a few more months (also due to my travel schedule) but I will post as soon as its done.

13. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Blackviews look interesting. Two questions - Does the 750 record in a loop? Also the Blendmont website does not list any stock for Ferrari. Is it possible to pull the Blackview from the O ring mount once I stick it on the windshield?

14. 350MH83

350MH83 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2014
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Max
    Yes, Blackvue records in a loop. You can choose the resolution and quality and depending on the card you use, it can give you anythting from 2 hours to 2 days of records. After which older records are overwritten by new ones. Recordings are 1min long, and I think you can configure to have them 2 or 3min long instead.
    Yes, once you have stuck the mount to the windshield, you can remove the camera by pushing a release button and sliding it out to the left. Just keep in mind that you need about 2cm of free space left of the camera, in order to be able to remove it.

15. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    Are those double sided 3M tape from Blackvue permanent and difficult to remove once stuck to the windshield?

16. 350MH83

350MH83 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2014
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Max
    Let's say they are semi permanent. They stick really good but you can remove them without a mark on the windshild in under 5min. The best is to heat it up a little, and use a razor blade while pulling the adhesive.

WilliamB likes this.
  17. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Got my Blackvue 750S 1CH from Amazon and plugged it straight into the lighter in the Lusso. So far so good but wish the cord was at least 12" longer.

18. FFantastic

Mar 23, 2015
    UK Riviera
    Tucked mine into the mirror housing, tucked up into the headliningband inside the A pillar and teased it between dash top and body down to the fuse box under the right hand side. Found an interior light live fuse and used a piggy back. Work perfectly and no wires showing apart from 2 inches where it plugs into the camera. Mine is position dead under the mirror central.

19. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    Is it the fuse box under under the passenger foot rest plate?

20. GameMaker

GameMaker Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2014
    WA State
    I'm looking for a dashcam for my F12. The blackvue looks good. My main concern is getting the hardwire install in. Is this something I can do myself? Who do you trust to install something like that?

21. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    Any auto shop that deals with car electronics can do it.

You can do it yourself but it will be a long process since you won’t be experienced.

22. 350MH83

350MH83 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2014
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Max
    In the F12 / Lusso, it's actually easier than in many other vehicles, as you can plug everything in the fuse box located in the passenger footwell. The only tedious thing is to route the cables through there, but it's not too difficult, you just need to take your time not to damage anything. Once the power cable has reached the footwell, you just need a Power Magic Pro box or equivalent, and some fuse taps. You can find all on Amazon/Ebay for cheap. You need to locate one fuse that is permanently ON, and one fuse that is ON only when ignition is ON. They you need to secure the box, it comes with 3M double sided tape so it's not too difficult to get it to stay into position.
    If you dont want to do it, as obbob said, any auto shop could do it. Even your dealer. Mine installed my GPS tracker when new, and this is exactly what they did to hardwire it.

otakki likes this.
  23. FFantastic

Mar 23, 2015
    UK Riviera
    otakki likes this.
  24. GameMaker

GameMaker Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2014
    WA State
    I heard something about an orange / white stripped wire maybe up in the visor area? Instead of going for a fuse could I use this?

I'm planning on installing a V1 & a dash cam.

25. 350MH83

350MH83 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2014
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Max
    You can surely use it, but if there is a single wire, then either you wont have parking mode, or the camera and V1 will stay on all the time (depending on whether the orange/white wire is permanently ON or ON only when ignition is ON). The idea of going to the fuse box is ideally to connect to both a permanently ON fuse, and a Ignition ON fuse, so that you can have a parking mode without risking to drain the battery. You need to use a dedicated box for that, such as the Power Magic Pro.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat