Sigh.....Gearbox light on, lost reverse and even # gears | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Sigh.....Gearbox light on, lost reverse and even # gears

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Joshcruz713, Jan 28, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. KMac

KMac Rookie

Dec 10, 2017
    Full Name:
    Kevin McClure
    I'm dealing with the same (or similar issue). Getrag DCT problems, a/c causes condensation on windshield. Since then, the dealership called after my service to ask how the car was. I told them the gearbox issue had returned and they asked me to bring it back in so they could try a simple fix attempt, which is described in this other post. Transmission problem ferrari california 2011 After they completed that, I tried to drive it home only to have the gearbox completely freak out and the gearbox temperature warning message you had came on and it went into neutral. I was able to limp it back to the dealership and after parking it, they couldn't get it out of neutral. I left it with them three weeks ago and I haven't heard a word from them. Not a good sign. The senior technician suggested that it was a solenoid or valve in the gearbox. Based on the procedure he did on the car which resulted in the complete failure of the gearbox, I'd believe the problem has been found. It's kind of like going to the doctor with a stress fracture in your foot and the doctor putting pressure on your foot until it snaps and him saying, "yep, fractured foot." I know none of this helps but I'll post an update when I hear something. Hang in there!

2. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    But to be clear yours is a 2011 correct? I'm kinda marking these down on a spread sheet.

3. KMac

KMac Rookie

Dec 10, 2017
    Full Name:
    Kevin McClure
    Nope. Mine is a 2010 with just over 9,000 miles on it.

azlin75 likes this.
  4. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Sorry for your DCT issue.

I’ve watched mechanics use the computer to run tests and cycle some of the internals.
    Looks like he discovered the problem.
    I bet the reason why the box was stuck in neutral, is to prevent you from driving the car and risking a safety issue and or further damaging the DCT.

5. KMac

KMac Rookie

Dec 10, 2017
    Full Name:
    Kevin McClure
    Thanks. I agree that the procedure he used seemed to reveal where the problem is. I also agree with your thoughts on it shifting into neutral as a protective measure. I'll visit the dealership tomorrow and ask how it's going. I imagine they haven't contacted me because they might be waiting on the DCT parts. Fingers crossed it's not a complete replacement of the gearbox.

6. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    I know a little about this subject since I owned a Cali which had multiple DCT issues. I went through 5 boxes,
    I actually became so fixated that I read about wiring harness failures and almost came up with a custom harness.

Interesting reading is the FAA publication about wiring and electrical wiring harness failures in commercial aircraft. Polyimide insulation which is ubiquitous in the computer industry is fraught with shorting and failure in aircraft and other application due to vibration, moisture and heat!

Also the FAA determined that the geometry of the wiring path around corners is very important and so is the way the wiring is secured and the nature of the immediate surroundings ie metal vs plastic vs wood or composite.

Of course, the harness was only one aspect. There are other components some of which were not replaceable but an integrated part of the DCT which if flawed could not be overcome by simply changing or replacing a wiring harness or sensor pack.

7. JimmyChooToo

JimmyChooToo Karting

Aug 7, 2017
    I think it’s based on how aggressive the software program from the manufacturer plus miles. I think I will always drive the Cali in Comfort mode & Auto, so maybe that will help my DCT last longer. I never bought it as a keeper (unlike Porsches). I bought it to wait out the GTC4 depreciation curve in 3 years, so knock on wood my DCT can last 3 years of gentle driving and 3,000 to 4,000 more miles. LOL, praying a modern $260,000 original cost car can make it to 12,000 miles.

This is an interesting article. Chris Harris had the same theory 5 years ago and I think we was right.

https://oppositelock.kinja.com/two-milestones-in-the-sls-30k-miles-and-irreparable-tr-1739049309

8. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    The early 70s Ferrari GTC/4?

9. Joshcruz713

Joshcruz713 Karting

Jan 28, 2018
    Welp, I just got kicked in the balls, even harder this time.

After looking over the car for a couple weeks I get a phone call. They say theyve cleared all the codes again, checked all the fluids, cleaned the valves out, and taken the car on two test drives, and there is no sign of any errors or malfunctions.

YAYYYY!!! Right? I was elated.

So, just to be triple sure, he wanted to hold the car one more day and do a third test drive.

Calls back again, well, after three test drives, over 100 miles, your car is perfectly fine, and we can't reproduce the error codes. So lucky you, come pick up your good Ferrari!

I pick up the car the following day, happy as ever that I just dodged a major bullet, and probably saved a ****ton of money. My life is awesome, Im feeling wonderful, driving with the top down, getting looks from passersby, huge smile on my face........

Then it happens. Clutch overheat warning. Then "Electronic Control Module Failure, take car to dealer". Then the gearbozlx warning light. Then finally, no more even gears or reverse.

****. My. Life.

10. Joshcruz713

Joshcruz713 Karting

Jan 28, 2018
    I want to go back in time and never buy this piece of **** car.

MalibuGuy likes this.
  11. KMac

KMac Rookie

Dec 10, 2017
    Full Name:
    Kevin McClure
    Josh,
    I feel your pain. I’m going through the same issue with mine. If there is any glimmer of hope, and at the risk of jinxing myself, my dealership found a possible cause of the random faults. While testing the gearbox and focusing on the SAP (slippage actuator, something, something) I’m sure someone here knows the correct name, the technician noticed a badly corroded relay. I’m sorry I don’t know more but their plan was to swap the relay and then run the gearbox through it’s paces. I am supposed to hear an update today. If it cures my issue I will let you know.

azlin75 likes this.
  12. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    See if you can get the car into boardwalk Ferrari, from what I understand they are one of the best concerning the DCT.

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  13. Joshcruz713

Joshcruz713 Karting

Jan 28, 2018
    Yes sir, I've already emailed Steve at boardwalk, hoping to hear from him tomorrow.

SAFE4NOW and azlin75 like this.
  14. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    And if that fails I'll buy a bunch of tannerite and we can see how far we can make that car fly........... I'm just joking of course but sometimes a bit of humor helps.

Joshcruz713 likes this.
  15. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Josh... This is brutal. What should be a dream purchase has turned into a nightmare. I hope they can sort this out & you can spend more time behind the wheel...T

Joshcruz713 and azlin75 like this.
  16. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    I don't see what the problem the dealership is having in diagnosing your DCT. There is one temperature sensor unit that has three sensors built into it (Odd clutch temp, even clutch temp and hydraulic block temp). It is pretty obvious that the even clutch temperature sensor portion is malfunctioning and sending even clutch overheat information to the DCT ECU. The ECU then goes into protection mode which causes the transmission not to shift into the even gears or reverse. All that needs replacement is the one DCT temperature sensor.
    No valve cleaning procedure will fix a temperature sensor that is sending incorrect information to the ECU. Did they look at the fault codes and not see codes related to even clutch overheating?

17. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    Someone needs to buy this guy a really stiff drink.......

Joshcruz713 likes this.
  18. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Nah, we need to all chip in and get him a high quality hooker. Tell him her name is Ferrari....

19. Joshcruz713

Joshcruz713 Karting

Jan 28, 2018
    I agree Motob, it's weird how they are kind of just throwing their hands up and saying, oh well, you need a new $40,000 transmission.

On the upside, I heard back from Steve today, he said he's going to look into it, and try to cone up with a solution.

azlin75 likes this.
  20. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Ferrari?!? How about Lexus? Safe, reliable and boring. That's what I'd be looking for after a wild fling like this with a crazy Italian mistress. ;)
    Hi Josh - I hope Steve and the great techs @ BF can sort you out, or put you on the path towards more driving/less diagnosis.
    T

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  21. Motob

Motob Formula 3

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    The temperature sensor is probably a $20 part if you could purchase it from the supplier that sells it to Getrag. It is maddening that you cannot buy individual parts for this transmission. At some point the aftermarket is going to catch up with the demand for DCT parts and repairs, and someone will start fixing and rebuilding these DTC transmissions outside of the dealership network. It is not rocket science

22. Joshcruz713

Joshcruz713 Karting

Jan 28, 2018
    Oh I hear you man.

And on top of buying a tier 1, tier 2, or tier 3 DCT repair "kit", what should be just a simple fix ends up costing thousands because of the labor.

I understand they have to drop the muffler, drop the crossmember, drop the gearbox etc, major major work.

It's sort of akin to a blown head gasket, the gasket itself is $20 and maybe a little planing of the heads, but all the labor and disassembly to GET to the head gasket is what ****s you.

23. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Yep, cost $10,000 to get the head gasket replaced on my Lamborghini Diablo Rosdster last year.

24. Motob

Motob Formula 3

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    On a California, the entire rear sub-frame with all the suspension/brakes attached comes out in order to get the gearbox out. There is a special jack that supports the entire assembly in order to lower it from the car. Then you lift the gearbox out of the sub-frame. Lots of exhaust, hoses, pipes, parking brake system, harnesses to disconnect. It is a day to get it in and a day to get it out. Not counting the time to repair the gearbox.
    The repair kits are also very expensive, as they include many parts that are not needed for the repair.