Halo 2017 | Page 13 | FerrariChat

Halo 2017

Discussion in 'F1' started by Kiwi Nick, May 28, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
  2. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Thought the RB14 has one too?

3. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    nope.

4. sindo308qv

sindo308qv F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    miami.fl.
    Full Name:
    sindo
    if you go to the Indy car site they have a prototype they're testing that's also a windscreen. in the end that's how they'll go.

5. Ferrari 308 GTB

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    No doubt some extra ones will be sprouting up before Melbourne.

6. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    To me, the darker halos are less obtrusive than the lighter ones. I still say that they should all be painted 18% neutral flat gray, or at least some dark color.

7. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    For me, it makes it almost impossible to see the driver.

8. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Isn't that the truth.

Halo is idiotic

Ferrari 308 GTB and jmillard308 like this.
  9. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Ferrari 308 GTB likes this.
  10. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    IIRC early on in the discussion last year I posted a link to a picture of what Eau Rouge would look like and some folks commented that this was just a simulation and it wouldn't be so bad etc etc. Well, maybe, hopefully it is as bad. The sooner the drivers cannot cope with this monstrosity the sooner it gets removed again. Can't wait.

11. Dino2010

Dino2010 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2006
    Belgium
    That day I'll start again watching F1!

Isobel likes this.
  12. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    It would be a start but there’s no trail in the quicksand to know where to toss the rope imho.

13. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound

Attached Files:

14. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    Anyone know what they raised the mandatory cockpit evacuation time to?
    It had been that drivers had to be able to exit the car in five seconds.
    (Since the '80s or '90s, I think. I remember when Eddie Cheever left the Alfa team because he was too big to meet that time.)

With the halo, there was talk of raising it to 10 seconds. Or 8. Anyone know where it landed?

15. maulaf

maulaf Formula 3

Feb 24, 2011
    Cape Town
    I watched the race with a friend I tend to watch most races with for years.
    We both concluded that the Halo isn't having any notable impact on our viewing experience.
    I didn't like it when it was proposed and there is questions about its performance. But certainly it doesn't affect my F1 experience as a viewer.

16. Ferrari 308 GTB

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Unless you get the drivers eye level from the side...then as Bas said looks like they crashed into some scaffolding.:rolleyes:

17. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    As I think I stated a year or so ago, the whole halo thing is a CYA reaction to Bianchi's crash...a crash that was completely avoidable had he not been overdriving for conditions. Yes, yes, I know there's a legitimate case to be made that the race should have been red flagged, and that the recovery equipment was out of position. Still, the ultimate responsibility is and always will be the driver's, particularly when there is no other car or apparent equipment failure involved. FIA had to be seen as "doing something" and it was Napoleon Todt to the rescue.....

375+, crinoid and jgonzalesm6 like this.
  18. ferrariformulauno

ferrariformulauno Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 18, 2008
    33km from Maranello
    Full Name:
    Andre
    Not much to see here, track wise:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

tifosi12, Ferrari 308 GTB and 375+ like this.
  19. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    We saw some of this in Melbourne. Looks like the halo is really a hindrance to get out of the car in a jiffy.

Igor Ound likes this.
  20. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Maybe the halo should be like an F-16 cockpit canopy: hinged at the front and latched at the back. They should be able to design those so that they won't fail in a crash.

vinuneuro likes this.
  21. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    That seemed to be the original idea

22. tatcat

tatcat F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2001
    panama city beach FL
    Full Name:
    rick c
    How about explosive bolts

23. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Well, that could be a problem if they blow inadvertently, or if the driver blows off the halo and then runs into something where it would have been useful.

Heck, if you're going that far, why not add an ejection seat? James Bond had one in his DB5.....

24. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    So then you're going to need to add air-con to the cars because of how hot they will get inside that green house - Especially in places like Bahrain and Abu Dhabi! (modern day fighter jets all have air-con cockpits)

Then you've got the problem of oil and tyre/track debris collecting on the surface of the canopy, causing problems for the driver, so they will have to keep pitting to have the cockpit cleaned, or have a massive tear-off ripped away.

And let's not forget the issue of vision distortion that such a small canopy would create (F16 fighter jets actually have quite large canopies) - When Ferrari tried a screen on their car, Sebastian Vettel started having dizzy spells. A full canopy would only be worse.

Added to all of that, how would an F16 type canopy cope with a wheel/tyre dropping on it from a great height?, or an engine/gearbox dropping on it? - Because that's what the FIA are trying to counter: The sort of accidents that befell Justin Wilson, and Henry Surtees, and not Jules Bianchi's accident.

The difference is, Justin Wilson and Henry Surtees were killed by an external impact on their helmets - Something a Halo device would prevent (had both drivers had a Halo device on their cars, chances are both would still be racing today!).

Jules Bianchi died from an internal brain impact caused by a sudden deceleration of his helmet/skull, and the Halo is not designed to prevent that kind of impact (chances are, in Jules Bianchi's case, with a Halo fitted, his helmet would have hit the Halo and still caused the internal brain impact).

As for the Indy style screen: It may help in a lateral impact from a wheel/tyre combination, but I doubt it would be so effective with a wheel/tyre or engine/gearbox dropping on it from above, in the way that the Halo device does (and I doubt it would be of much use should a car come flying at it in the style of Grosjean at Spa, when he slew across the cockpit of Alonso's Ferrari!)