ESPN/ABC will use SKY broadcast! | Page 2 | FerrariChat

ESPN/ABC will use SKY broadcast!

Discussion in 'F1' started by trumpet77, Feb 13, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vinuneuro

vinuneuro F1 Rookie

May 6, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Vig
    Hopefully not during the race.

2. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David
  3. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    "We will also have 25 spotters around each grand prix to call back to race control and tell them where overtaking is about to take place.

Just shows Liberty have no idea what they are doing....:D

hairy_scotsman likes this.
  4. CSM0TION

CSM0TION Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2004
    Long Island,New York
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    OMG the Bruce Buffer thing was absolutely tragic and it did make the US look like a bunch of idiots. Was that a COTA decision? I didn't see the SKY commentary but if they laughed about it I'd gain even more respect for them rather than lose any.

5. GLS12

GLS12 Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2011
    Occupied VA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    "It is understood that other ideas being looked at are improving the sound of engines through a new position of on-board microphones, use of music in the race broadcasts and more regular use of a highlights reel to showcase dramatic moments."

Not sure highlight reels are all that necessary lately. Just show the first corner and any restart from safety car and that is likely to cover it!

6. 67bmer

67bmer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 28, 2015
    MD
  7. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    SKY coverage is overrated they are biased towards Lewis and it becomes more and more painful as the season progresses.

8. 05011994

05011994 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2004
    Golden, Colorado
    That is unfortunate, I was kind of looking forward to some new blood, let’s see how they do.

9. Chicko

Chicko Formula 3

The coverage in the US must be really really awful if most of you guys are excited about getting the SKY UK feed. SKY is dreadful. Its a Lewis Hamilton boys club. The commentator Crofty is truly unbearable ( you will see), Brundle has become dull and bitter. Ted was slightly interesting and endearing back in the BBC / ITV days, but now just gibbers nonsense half the time, the other half he just gossips about paddock rumors to his LH boys club pals. And the 3 stoodges ( Johnny Herbert, Damon Hill and the sleezy SKY presenter) are so predictably biased that you know exactly what they will say on every subject before they even say a word. Look out for Herberts lizard like tongue popping out after every sentence, it becomes almost hypnotic..

10. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Compared to whats out there, Sky is far better than what the rest can come up with. Not seen much of Channel 4 I must admit, they have Coulthard of course who is excellent. But they only broadcast some of the races...

Brundle is as neutral as they come in my opinion, he's not just waving the Lewis flag like a loony. In fact I think he does more raving on Verstappen these days :D.

hairy_scotsman likes this.
  11. CSM0TION

CSM0TION Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2004
    Long Island,New York
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    A bias towards any current or previous year champion has to be expected though. Happens in all sports. Just part of the gig. Sort of like how people grew to hate Tiger because the broadcast was always talking about him.

12. 05011994

05011994 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2004
    Golden, Colorado
    Good news is if they are too British biased I can turn the sound off, it is not like we are missing the magical sounds of a V12 or V10, just turning out the droaning hoover sound. Alternatively I can eatch the spanish channel, those guys are full of emotion. I will still give Sky a chance.

13. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Indeed.That was my first response when I saw that. The last thing we need is highlights taking more time away from on-track action. I can watch highlights AFTER the race.

14. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I've watched both NBC/Speed and Sky coverage extensively. Yes, the American coverage has been dreadful. Yes, the Sky coverage is Lewis-centric, but then so was the NBC coverage. No big change there. Even with Crofty, Sky's coverage is better by leaps and bounds.

15. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    The thing about moving mics to improve the engine sound is laughable and sad at the same time. Wow will that help fans at the track? The only thing that will improve the sound of the engines is changing the f****** formula.

16. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby

I saw it. They did what they could to not laugh but did say something after like “well, it’s America” like “don’t blame us!”

The Michael Buffer intro thing was terrible. Making F1 on the same level as WWF is embarrassing. I was embarrassed.

CSM0TION and jgonzalesm6 like this.
  17. Chicko

Chicko Formula 3

Looks like these driver intros are going to done at every race this year.

18. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    It looks like they will actually be on ESPN2, not ESPN.

19. Fell Beast

Fell Beast Rookie

Jun 8, 2014
    Cedar Park, Texas
    Full Name:
    Brak
    Has there been a word on "live broadcast" vs "on demand stream" for the races? The one thing I enjoyed about NBCSN coverage was the app allowing me to watch at anytime after the race had been completed. I don't always have the luxury of watching live. I have not seen this talked about regarding the ESPN coverage.

20. Kenny94945

Kenny94945 Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Marin Calif
    I echo post # 44.

Yes, I liked NBCSN website where I could watch the full race at later time.

Yet, I am unsure what cable channel ESPN will use here in San Francisco Bay Area for broadcast and if ESPN will have a website where the race could be viewed in full later.

P.S.I have Xfininty/ Comcast cable.

21. CSM0TION

CSM0TION Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2004
    Long Island,New York
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    Are they not broadcasting Friday practice?

22. nsxrebel

nsxrebel Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    Coverage in the US IS that awful. Sky F1 is leaps above anything we've ever had here.
    I also remember enjoying F1 races on BBC, ITV and maybe one other network I can't recall.

hairy_scotsman and vinuneuro like this.
  23. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
  24. Alexweav79

Alexweav79 Formula Junior

Jan 10, 2009
    Owensville, MO
    Full Name:
    Alex Weaver
    Unfortunately, the problem with ESPN is that if ANY news from any other sport comes across or a show or event is delayed, F1 will be the program cut out, just like NBC did with NASCAR. I don't always get to catch practice, qualy, and the race live so I have a feeling that will hurt me and anyone else in my shoes. Not looking forward to this at all.

25. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Yah I agree with you. F1 will be the bottom of the priority barrel. Look for some basketball game to into over time and we miss the first 20 laps.

Also, look for their stupid "ticker" on the bottom of the screen to give away the race if it's delayed.