458 Challenge gearbox sensors | FerrariChat

458 Challenge gearbox sensors

Discussion in 'Challenge/GT Cars/Track' started by seattle_s4, Mar 8, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. seattle_s4

seattle_s4 Rookie

Oct 26, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Frank
    I've heard that the sensors (ones that tell the car what gear is selected) in the transmission are "regular maintenance" items that need to be changed every 10k miles or so. I can't seem to find any threads on this and am wondering if this is actually needed? It's the same transmission as the street going 458 correct?

I know there was an early issue of wire routing in the gearbox that got fixed, but these sensors are apparently a wear item that just need changing.

Can someone confirm this? If so, is this strictly a dealer job or could a handy person DIY it? And if so, any links to parts/instructions?

Thanks!

2. Joeyung

Joeyung Karting

Mar 9, 2011
    Kentucky
    It has been my experience that anything that has to do with the gearbox is not sold by any of the ferrari parts suppliers. They all defer to Getrag. I tried to buy a filter once and it was impossible. I don't think you will find the sensors to buy very easily.

3. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    The sensors for gear position are not a regular maintenance item and only need to be replaced when they are malfunctioning. The Challenge transmission is basically the same as the street going 458, except is does not have the electronic park lock built into it. The sensors don't wear. They either work or they don't.

This is a job for someone with all of the special tools, training and Ferrari diagnostic computer. Not what I would call a DIY operation. You cannot purchase the sensors as separate parts from Ferrari or Getrag, they only come as part of an expensive parts repair kit.

If it is not broken, then there is no need to fix it.

4. seattle_s4

seattle_s4 Rookie

Oct 26, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Frank

Thank you for the reply! I suspected this should be the case.

5. gatorgreg

gatorgreg Formula 3

Dec 13, 2004
    NAPLES
    I was having gear box sensor issues. I found the fluid levels in the transmission were over filled. I dropped the level and the car was normal again. Give it a try.

6. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    GM stops making replacement parts after 7-10 years from the end of a model run. For C5 and C6 corvettes we are having problems getting good parts that we abuse in our racecars. I can't imagine what will happen when these F1 and DCT cars become "vintage". Will we see vintage 458 challenge cars racing in 50 years?

7. windsock

windsock Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 29, 2006

Most of the sensors are readily available individual. PM me with what you need. I stock several sets of them. I can also provide rebuilt boxes for Challenge cars with warranty at reasonable costs.