Horrible Experience with Norwood Autocraft! Beware of Bob Norwood | Page 23 | FerrariChat

Horrible Experience with Norwood Autocraft! Beware of Bob Norwood

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Schulz308, Sep 1, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Wendell Allen

Wendell Allen Rookie

Nov 16, 2016
    Wooooow! This is crazy! I just signed onto the site, and this is the first thread I stumble across.

I actually worked on these cars for Bob back in the very early 90's, like 1991 or 1992. I helped fabricate some of the parts and helped fit the bodywork to the car. As well as work on the GTO with the twin turbo 454 in the back, the drag car with the TR motor up front, and a bright yellow P4 replica. I still have a picture or two of testing them all out at the Enis drag strip before they all went to the Bonneville salt flats.

I was told back then that the 308's we were putting the GTO body work on were actually cars that came from a burned up dealership. And we were basically completing all the bodywork, interior work, suspension/brakes, and then putting whatever engine in them that the customer wanted. I only worked there for about six months though, so I never got to see any completed.

I can't believe these cars are still in existence after all these years! But to get to you question, I heard many stories there of customers putting deposits down and not seeing anything for it. And even sometimes putting more money into the cars, post deposit, and still not seeing anything. I never knew anyone personally though and have no proof of such.

All I can say is good luck!

2. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    #552 308 milano, Nov 16, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2016
    WOW! Really didn't think it possible to blow more holes in the SS Norwood. LOL
    Also cannot think of many things worse then starting a project on a totally burned up car. (Family owned a body shop for over 30 years)

3. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    If this is your policy regarding scammers, why does it surprise you?

RE:
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/ferrari-discussion-not-model-specific/533526-%2Aalarm%2A-possible-scammer-our-midst.html

"This seller "warning" thread has been moved to the discussion forums, where users can freely discuss it without some of the constraints present in the classified ads section.

Ferrarichat doesn't ban users for being a "bad" seller or buyer as that requires us to judge the terms of a transaction between two private parties, often without many of the pertinent facts or with coloration of the details when retold. Instead our policy is that users are free to post their experiences, good or bad, and the counter party gets to have their say. The record of the charge and refutation becomes part of the community knowledge base and is searchable for future users that exercise due diligence and take the trouble to examine the past history.

4. bill59

bill59 Karting

Oct 26, 2010
    bean town
    Full Name:
    bill h
    It is time to ban BigRed. I don't have that many years left and this is time I will not get back.

5. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    we're not judge or jury if Norwood Autocraft is a scammer, but 100% they are a spammer!

6. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    #556 It's Ross, Nov 17, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2016
    OH NO!
    Way too much entertainment in watching him self destruct.
    I still wonder if this guy is acting on his own

7. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    Absolutely not - his posts provide hours of innocent entertainment.

Perhaps we should start a Big Red Fan Club - any takers? :)

Formula Uno likes this.
  8. ATSAaron

ATSAaron Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 1, 2004
    Shady Shores, TX
    Full Name:
    Aaron Bunch
    I can personally confirm that this is the same Bob Norwood, but I would disagree that selling someone a 512bb and winning a Can Am championship is ripping them off.

Over the years I have seen lots of wealthy people come to Bob because they want to go racing. The investor spends millions and Bob creates beautiful and expensive things for them. Then some weird **** happens like the investor/driver turns out to be narcoleptic and falls asleep during a drag strip pass (true story).

Bob sells cutting edge crazy stuff that sometimes works, sometimes fails, and sometimes is so good it's immediately banned from competition. He has always been upfront with me about how things in my build would work, or possibly not work.

My speculation is that Big Red wants to make a good impression on Bob and show himself as valuable to Bob's business.

Aaron

9. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    He's made an impression all right.

10. Wendell Allen

Wendell Allen Rookie

Nov 16, 2016
    Well, that's what I was told, but the frames we worked on didn't look burned up. But they were there before I started working there, so they may have been cleaned up. But I will say for absolutely certain that of the four or so cars that I worked on, they were completely gutted other than the parts we installed. I mean nothing...zero interior, no brake hardware, no wiring, Just bare frames and maybe some suspension hardware, but that's it.

11. Russ Gould

Russ Gould Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2004
    I withdraw any comment I have made which could be interpreted as an endorsement of Norwood Autocraft in general and/or their treatment of the OP in particular.

12. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Why now?

13. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

why not?

I'm sure he's just building the suspense and will fill us in, eventually. :D

D

14. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    I hope so. I was more than a little surprised to see this thread come to life again after so long. Presumably something has happened . . . so what is it?

Formula Uno likes this.
  15. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Enquiring minds want to know.

16. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Agreed . Maybe it was a nothing burger ?

17. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I suspect someone had a bad experience recently?

18. KKSBA

KKSBA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    SBarbara-La Jolla CA
    Full Name:
    KKSBA
  19. Russ Gould

Russ Gould Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2004
    Rather than making this the longest thread in Fchat history, I am going to start a new thread in the same forum that may shed some light on why I withdrew my endorsement of Norwood Autocraft in this thread. I am going to title it "My Norwood Experience". It's a very long saga so I will probably break it up into bite-sized pieces for easier digestion. The bottom line is that almost 18 months after delivering my car to Norwood Autocraft, a year after the project was supposed to be done, and 5 months after I believed that I settled the account, Norwood is holding my car hostage in an undisclosed location, demanding that I pay him an arbitrary additional sum in cash. He won't accept a cashier's check even though I had one cut in his favor for the amount demanded and drove 443 miles to present it to him. In addition he wants me to sign a release stating that I will not sue him and will not hold him to his normal warranties. His lawyer informed me today that he will continue to hold my car hostage in an undisclosed location and accrue storage fees until I pay the ransom in cash and sign the release.

20. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
  21. ATSAaron

ATSAaron Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 1, 2004
    Shady Shores, TX
    Full Name:
    Aaron Bunch
    I know Bob. I know he dislikes lawyers. There is more to this story if Bob Norwood hired a lawyer.

Aaron

22. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    I have no dog in these hunts, and I don't know BN or any of the other OPs or main contributors in these threads, so this is not a bump. It's nothing more than a PSA. But, it's very odd to me that BN would be here trying to sell a car while there are so many open issues that are unresolved and seem to be very highly contested. If I were a potential buyer, I'd be VERY wary. As always, caveat emptor...

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/1962-ferrari-250-gto-allegretti.559999/

CW

23. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    always two sides to the story lawyer or not. :)

24. ATSAaron

ATSAaron Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 1, 2004
    Shady Shores, TX
    Full Name:
    Aaron Bunch
    I heard the story from a third party. Not Russ and not Bob. And I'm in the same industry as Bob and ive had similar stuff happen to me. I'm curious to see Russ's version.

Aaron

25. Russ Gould

Russ Gould Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2004
    Norwood's "lawyer" is his friend Richard Hockert and Norwood told me on Monday, when I went there with cashier's check in hand, that Hockert does not charge him anything to write letters. So he has my money, he has my car, and it doesn't cost him anything to play the game. At least not yet.

Norwood calls lawyers "pricks with ties".

And there is a lot more to the Allegretti car story than meets the eye.