Paint problen on 488 GTS bicolor | FerrariChat

Paint problen on 488 GTS bicolor

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Kregu, Mar 10, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Kregu

Kregu Karting

Nov 6, 2016
    Europe
    Hello.
    After almost 5 months standing uncovered in a dry but quite cold garage for hibernation my brand new (just 20km done in November) 488 GTS shows severe paint degradation (the black roof is whitening). My dealer said that they never ever saw this problem before ...
    Does anybody here in the forum saw or heard about this before? Till last Tuesday the car is at the dealership and they are waiting for the factory to reply. Well as I could read here in some threads before having a response from the factory could take some time ...
    Best regards
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. R8 BKK

R8 BKK Rookie

May 13, 2015
    UK
    Full Name:
    Duncan
    I have seen similar damage from water leaching down through concrete car park roofs, particularly a work fairly newly built multi-storey car park. Is there any damage on the main body paint? Always best to cover the car with a quality car cover - not the red Ferrari one although that is better than nothing. I use a thick multi-layer Covercraft "Duststop" interior cover.
    https://www.covercraft.com/us/en/product/custom-dustop-car-cover.C-CCDP

3. Kregu

Kregu Karting

Nov 6, 2016
    Europe
    Thanx for reply!
    No damage on the main body paint, just those 2 places on the car.
    The car was dry all the time.
    What can be done to remove these white spots? Repaint ore polishing?

4. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    Nice rig.

Sucks. Replacement might be the only remedy. But, if anyone can repair something like that, it would be a good detailer. Some of these guys can work magic.

5. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    No excuse for that. In a home garage that is dry, there should be no requirement to cover the car. I have stored all models of cars in my garage without a cover for decades without incident. BTW- Love the color of your car.

6. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    Are you or the dealer able to establish whether it’s IN or ON the paint?

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  7. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    I believe that's the key. Perhaps the last polishing cloth put something on the finish?

Although unrelated, I had a case on a light grey arm rest that appeared to have had the color lifted out of it in a small round spot. After an expert detail guy got involved, it turns out that dye from someone at the dealership wearing a new coat got transferred ON the arm rest.

8. Kregu

Kregu Karting

Nov 6, 2016
    Europe
    For me it's IN the paint!

9. Kregu

Kregu Karting

Nov 6, 2016
    Europe
    Well, when the car war parked during those months in the garage I did not notice it at all. After I did some km's in the sun an parked it again I saw it first.... as if there had been a reaction with UVs...
    Yes, everybody find that the color combo is great;-)
    Thanx a lot!

10. 338Lapua

338Lapua Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2015
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tony
    It could be a blend line in the paint. This is where a repair is made and instead of spraying clear over the entire panel, they only spray that section and "blend" the clear. It is hard to be positive from the pics.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  11. Jordan68

Jordan68 Formula Junior

May 12, 2015
    Dubai
    Full Name:
    Jordan W
    I faced the same problem w my 488 GTB... had white circles pupping up the paint .... I had to re-paint it through Ferrari dealer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Jordan68

Jordan68 Formula Junior

May 12, 2015
    Dubai
    Full Name:
    Jordan W
    They tried to remove it through polishing it went away then 2 days after that it re-appeared so they had to do a re-paint

of2worlds likes this.
  13. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    I think a repaint is necessary...doesn't seem like a physical defect but more a chemical one. Detailers cannot fix chemical defects.

It seems they are covering it under warranty, as they should. Definitely let us know if they don't do warranty coverage because that would be ridiculous.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  14. Kregu

Kregu Karting

Nov 6, 2016
    Europe
    Does this mean that YOU had to pay for it???
    Wasn't it covered by warranty?

15. Kregu

Kregu Karting

Nov 6, 2016
    Europe
    I will let you know as soon as I will get an answer from my dealer!

16. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    of2worlds likes this.
  17. Kregu

Kregu Karting

Nov 6, 2016
    Europe
    Thanx for the advice! I just send him an E-mail and will post his reply here if he's answering me.

18. Jordan68

Jordan68 Formula Junior

May 12, 2015
    Dubai
    Full Name:
    Jordan W
    Yes I had to pay for it !! They said it's not covered by warranty since it might be caused be exterior factor !!!

19. Kregu

Kregu Karting

Nov 6, 2016
    Europe
    This is just unbelievable!!
    So, what was your problem then due to? Rain, too much sun, sand or what?
    Mine was just parked in a garage for 5 months...
    I just payed over 7,5k € for that black bicolor roof and now this bad quality paint job... I really hope that warranty is covering this issue.
    BTW: do you have some pics of your problem?
    How much did it cost you to get it fixed by the end?

20. Zinger

Zinger Formula 3

Apr 11, 2009
    Leesburg, Va
    Full Name:
    Ryan M
    Unacceptable that Ferrari would not stand behind the poor paintwork. Sorry to hear this. However try to look forward not back and enjoy the car to the fullest!

21. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Does the damaged area have a different texture to the surface that would suggest damage to the clear coat or does it seem to be embedded within the paint itself?

22. Jordan68

Jordan68 Formula Junior

May 12, 2015
    Dubai
    Full Name:
    Jordan W
    I do not have pics... it appeared as more than white circle inside the paint on the right back wing of the car ... they said it must be the water used in cleaning the car !! But it's a normal water which I use on cleaning my FF, SVR, turbo s and I never faced this problem
    I ended paying around 3000USD to repaint

23. Kregu

Kregu Karting

Nov 6, 2016
    Europe
    It has exactly the same texture and looks like it's embedded in the paint.

24. Jordan68

Jordan68 Formula Junior

May 12, 2015
    Dubai
    Full Name:
    Jordan W
    You are obsoletely right ... I could not believe it ... but for sure I am enjoying the 488 so much

25. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Very odd. I wound have guessed it was a lime stain or something (which is an easy fix).