My 488 is just too damn fast.. | Page 10 | FerrariChat

My 488 is just too damn fast..

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by SlickMurphy, Feb 2, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Its all about whatever "moves" you. Some people look at modern art and see some splashes of color or shapes and wonder who in the world would spend so much money on such things. I struggle to understand it myself. The point is to understand that someone else might look at all these high performance cars and think what an incredible waste of money as the function of a car is transportation and to that end just about any car will perform the same. As a matter of fact, Autocar just did such a test- they ran a 911 Turbo vs a Smart something or other, to explore, in real world conditions, where the drivers mostly stuck to speed limits, just how much faster the 911 would be to go from one part of Wales to the other. And guess what, the difference was essentially nil. By this logic, the 911 is a waste of money......... But it is not by this logic that such cars are purchased, and it is the same for watches, or fancy pens, handbags, designer suits, pick your luxury item...

PS- I don't "get" Hermes bags either, those go to Mrs. Caerules11 :)

AlfistaPortoghese and Shamile like this.
  2. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    I think we're on the same page. I look at cars as artwork. I see the design and the artistry in the execution of a handmade product. When I'm working on the Testarossa..and same goes for the Murcielago Roadster, I love cleaning and running my hands over the castings. It's not just how fast or efficient but it's a 3 dimensional piece of art that I can be involved with.

I also love my Rolexes amd my Mont Blanc pens. If I have to do paperwork, it might as well be with something that feels really good in my hands.

There's just more to life than "newer is better"

Shamile

Freeze...Miami Vice!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

3. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    I wear a Patek Philippe. 99% of people have no idea what it is. It doesn't even have the "wow" factor of a basic Rolex, though it costs 6X that. So obviously I don't wear it to impress.
    I wear it because I admire their craftsmanship, and I admire their wonderful history. By wearing a PP I have a small slice of that history with me everyday.
    I admire the mechanical beauty of cars like Ferrari (#1) and Porsche (#2). I love their histories. By having one of these cars I get to experience a small slice of that history everyday.
    I don't drive them to impress; in fact, my fervent dream is to go for a drive and there be absolutely no one else on the road, and no cops.
    An electric motor has as much "soul" as a garbage disposal.
    I will not buy an electric car...I'd rather walk.

uhn2000, shawdut, Makuono and 4 others like this.
  4. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    If you can afford it, buy whatever gives you joy. If it makes you feel good, get it.

Shamile likes this.
  5. LorenzoOO

LorenzoOO Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2017
    Italia, US NE
    Full Name:
    Lorenzo LaMattina
    The Patek Philippe is the connoisseur's watch. Very refined. A classic for European tastes. My favorite. Who cares if anyone recognizes it?

Afonsolaw, Shamile and Caeruleus11 like this.
  6. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Patel Phillips is a magnificent timepiece.

Shamile likes this.
  7. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Being the "Lamborghini guy" The subtlety and quiet refinement of a Patek is lost on me....gold and diamond Rolex President is me.
    ...that said, I love to go dancing to pounding bass EDM! dance music and no one there has a clue what I'm wearing lol

Shamile

Freeze...Miami Vice! Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Shamile likes this.
  9. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Anyhooooo.....back to Ferrari!
    :)

10. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
  11. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Spell check! Yikes. Patek Philippe

Ash Patel likes this.
  12. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    All art is simply to impress others?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Shamile likes this.
  13. scuderia-seat

scuderia-seat Karting

Jan 27, 2018
    USA
    Full Name:
    late apex
    which Patek? a complication?

14. boogie

boogie Karting

Mar 4, 2016
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Keith
    I wear an LL Bean field watch.

iloveferrari likes this.
  15. dmundy

dmundy Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 11, 2010
    Unspecified
    Full Name:
    Arthur Dent
    This is a fantastic thread. I’m a little pressed for time so I will make a brief contribution.

I see both points of view on the fun vs faster debate. I currently have two RS’s in the garage. One Focus RS and one 997.2 RS. The 997.2 is the most modern car I have found that is still scary (and I mean that in a good way.) A 458 is one of the very few cars I miss.

I’ve driven a 720 and it was simply the best overall car I’ve ever been in. I’m sure a 488 is similar in that regard. BUT if you want visceral thrills it’s propably not what you are looking for unless you get a lot of track time or are doing insanely illegal things.

I’d say the 458 was probably the “sweet spot” that the OP described for me. I’d like to drive a current GT3 and see how they are.

As for watches... I’ve been fascinated by mechanical timekeeping since I was a kid! My daily is a Rolex, in large part so I can read it with bad eyeballs. For high end I tend to FP Journe. I had a Lange Dato for a while that was a great watch too.

There are some similarities. None of this is about practical, or use case.

Best to all...
    David

16. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    In all those watch pictures, I see watches. Numbers and hands.

dustman likes this.
  17. dmundy

dmundy Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 11, 2010
    Unspecified
    Full Name:
    Arthur Dent
    Fair enough.
    A lot of people see cars that way too. A tool to transport people and stuff.

Afonsolaw likes this.
  18. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    +1 for EDM
    By comparison, no good clubs in Los Angeles. That I know of.

Shamile likes this.
  19. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    I have a passion for cars and watches. People who do not care what they drive completely mystify me. When you are passionate about something it is part of your core being. So it is very hard to see the other side. I love watches, the beauty and complexity of a mechanical watch is incredible. Most people are happy with a timex.

For me I could never understand someone paying millions of dollars for a painting hanging on a wall, but it must be their passion so I can at least grasp the concept.

Even if I didn’t have the money to have a Ferrari or Dodge Demon, etc... I would still try to find something unusual to drive that was in my price range.

As they say different strokes for different folks.

20. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Oh, you definitely have to come to Florida! It's a party state here. Lots of clubs, EDM festivals and prettay girlies.
    I go to a club called Amp! at the Ritz in Ybor City in Tampa. It's got the best vibe and the crowd is young and happy. If you love pounding bass EDM!, this is the place for you.

...and no one here knows if you drive a Ferrari, Lamborghini or wear an expensive watch.

Shamile

Freeze...Miami Vice! Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    You have become a part of these teams.
    OMG I love your watches, my daily watch is almost the exact same one- Nautilus Chrono- 5980. :)

22. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    I don't want to mislead anyone. As I stated in that post my watch is the top one, 5726 annual calendar. The two pictures below are "the ones I want to add." Those are pictures off the Internet of two gorgeous PP watches I would love to own!
    :)
    I love PP.....ummmmm....that didn't sound right somehow. LOL :D

23. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Shamile...you look like you just got off work at the bank in that photo!

Shamile likes this.
  24. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Oh, I'm definitely not a hipster lol . I'm a more dressy type person.. more in line of the upscale clubs like The Kennedy, The Drynk and the Hyde Park Cafe...but I just love the EDM scene and the music. All the other clubs you just stand around with a drink in your hands....soooo not me.

Here's how I usually go out.

Shamile

Freeze...Miami Vice! Image Unavailable, Please Login

25. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    I just may have to visit you in FL for my EDM fix, which is insatiable.
    I do like Octagon in Seoul KR.

Shamile likes this.