Annoying Fuel odor in Daytona | FerrariChat

Annoying Fuel odor in Daytona

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by ag512bbi, Feb 27, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    I'm having a constant fuel odor coming from my Daytona. Garage smells bad. Definitely NOT coming from the Carbs or the engine compartment. Trunk smells like fuel. Replaced and reclamped the soggy fuel lines. Is it possible the odor is coming thru the actual gas tank? Any secret places I should be checking?
    It's just annoying!

2. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Fuel tank could have a crack and is seeping fuel between the tank and its outer coating. I have seen this before and it is hard to trace but makes a lot of smell. As always the smell of fuel means a fire is just around the corner so you would want to have it looked at with immediate effect.

Dustin Wetmore and NYC Fred like this.
  3. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    A lot of possibilities... and smell could be a "the chicken or the egg ?" thing.

4. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    I will look into that. Thank you. Good point!

5. Jumprun

Jumprun Karting

Feb 7, 2012
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    T. Martinez
    There are a lot of places in the trunk that could produce a leak. It could be the fuel level sender, the upper vent tube that runs from tank to tank, or the lower tank to tank cross hose/tube or the fuel filler neck hose or the fuel pick up hose. Pull out the spare tire, look at the lower cross tubes, mine were hard as a rocks and weeping. Oh I don't have a Daytona, I have a GTC but it's pretty much the same design.
    Check out the parts manual, you will be shocked at how many possible leak points there are within the trunk.

Forgot one, the fuel return tube.

6. Jumprun

Jumprun Karting

Feb 7, 2012
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    T. Martinez
    If hoses are soggy, replace.

Sunracer likes this.
  7. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
  8. hichamaziz

hichamaziz Rookie

Feb 16, 2018
    Full Name:
    hicham aziz
    good my dear nice post

9. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    check all the hoses for the fuel venting system.....make sure they are good and they are not exiting into the trunk.....

had this on a gtc - there are at least 2 that vent the fuel system that i know of

10. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Those diagrams are a huge help.
    Ed, The smell is coming heavy into the trunk. We did replace at least one of the hoses already.
    Ill be bringing the car home probably This Sunday or Monday 3/4 or 3/5. My warehouse is too big to point out the 1 car's smell. When I get it home, I can sense the smell a lot easier.

11. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    that 365 diagram above is similar to the GTC....i see at least 3 vent ports on the filler neck....then all the connections

might merit replacing all those lines if they have never been off!

12. Streetsurfer

Streetsurfer Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2015
    near Chicago
    Full Name:
    Ron
    #12 Streetsurfer, Mar 3, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
    I’ve had pinholes from rust in carbed vehicle’s steel lines that would pass vapors, but not enough fuel to leave sign where you could see it.

13. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    It is a bundle of fun to remove tanks and to do the project, if you "know what you are doing"...

Clearly, I am stressing the: "know what you are doing".

Regards, Alberto

TTR likes this.
  14. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    "... and with 45+ year old car and whole bunch of related components, it can easily escalate from there."

of2worlds likes this.
  15. Telaio

Telaio Karting

Jan 11, 2006
    UK
    Full Name:
    Kevin O'Rourke
    Some years ago we had a similar problem with a smelly Daytona and we traced the problem to a corroded fuel return pipe which was leaking, it was along time ago but from memory said leaky pipe ran back from the carbs through ( I think ) the left hand side lower sill panel or rocker panel back to a fuel tank, happy hunting, cheers Kev.

of2worlds likes this.
  16. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    I appreciate all the input. Every option will be looked at. I WILL get to the bottom of it.

of2worlds likes this.
  17. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Yes indeed, this was one of my old steel fuel pipe that went through the sill, that was dry rust that came out of it. I have no idea how the car still ran! they were replaced with a stainless steel ones.

Also a common problem are the big nuts that bolt the fuel pipes onto the carbs, if the car has been serviced then they need checking a few weeks after or after a hot then cooling down cycle. There is a thread on the type of washers best suited to fix this problem.
    For a trunk smell I would be looking for a pin hole in a tank often caused by the spare wheel rubbing on one of them.

18. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Grant, that tube (pipe) itself is not used for fuel delivery. It's a housing or support inside the coachwork for the fuel 3/8" hose that runs in continuous length from fuel pumps to fuel rail by the carbs.
    Mid-to-late production cars also have another one like it for front-to-rear brake line tubings, fuel return line tubing and in US-delivery cars one of the fuel tank fume delivery (breather) line to the charcoal canister in the engine bay.
    This "another one" is what owners should be more cautious of since it too traps moisture/water/etc like the one in your photo and in 45+years can rust all those small steel pipes/tubes running inside.
    I've experienced/seen (original) brake line tubes break due to rusting inside those tubes on more than one Daytona.

of2worlds likes this.
  19. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    #19 Wheels1, Mar 14, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
    Yes Timo.
    mine is a late car so it has the 3/4 dia tubes inside the sill and inside them it has the small bore now stainless steel tubes, one from the pumps to the carbs the other return from the carbs to the tank inside the trunk.

Small bore return to tank Image Unavailable, Please Login

Large bore ducting tubes inside the sill

of2worlds likes this.
  20. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Here's two new tubes I made during restoration of a mid-production car along with the OE tubes they replaced...
    Perhaps a somewhat moot point, but I did deviate from OE design by adding small drain holes at the lowest spot on both.

of2worlds and Streetsurfer like this.
  21. bighitter2

bighitter2 Formula Junior

May 7, 2005
    virginia usa
    Full Name:
    chuck coli
    My problem was very strong gas smell in trunk..problem was large yellow hose was leaking at one end at the metal fitting,Timo was most helpful in locating this material.which then needed to have the old metal fitting attached..problem solved..Chuck

22. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Just took care if an alternator problem (I think). Now I'll work on the fuel smell. All these posts will be very helpful.

23. Hawkeye

Hawkeye F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2009
    Did you ever locate the source of the smell? My Daytona smells of fuel when 100% full but not otherwise, any thoughts on this?

24. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    in the cabin or when trunk is open?

25. Hawkeye

Hawkeye F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2009
    Not in the cabin and not in trunk. I just crawled under the car and the glass fuel filter housing was wet with fuel. I literally, for the first time, just put a full tank of gas in the car, I wiped off the fuel filter housing and will check in the morning. There was about a tablespoon of fuel on the garage floor this morning. No real smell in the trunk at all, but I think the yellow hose is original, thoughts?