Looking for automotive or racing intern opportunities in North New Jersey | FerrariChat

Looking for automotive or racing intern opportunities in North New Jersey

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by peterp, Mar 13, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    #1 peterp, Mar 13, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
    Hello all. My son is a high school senior and his school has a program that allows/encourages students to intern in their planned field of study during their last month of the school year. As background, he will be studying mechanical engineering in college with a specific focus on automotive design (production and racing). I’d like to know if anyone knows of any intern opportunities in North New Jersey related to automotive design or related to car racing. The intern program begins in mid-May and requires 20 hours a week for 4 weeks, though he would likely stay on much longer than 4 weeks if it is a constructive experience. Please let me know if you know of any opportunities.

Additional Background (probably more than you want)

His background is that he has been interested in cars and racing since birth. He is not just a car fan – he knows all the cars and models, but his interests lie specifically in design of cars for production and racing. Among his high school peers, he is the only one who knows exactly what he wants to do and has known that since he was very young.

He is serious and hard working for anything that he is passionate about, and he is very passionate about cars and racing. For a high school student, he has unusually deep racing experience. He’s been very successful in local league kart racing and he recently beat the track record (set by a famous driver) at a kart track in Florida. He’s been competing in iRacing 12 and 24-hour events for many years. In the last two years, he recruited and managed the teams himself. He coordinated collaborative car setup for each track, coordinated testing sessions, managed driver/spotter rotations, and made real-time decisions on driver pulls and substitutions – including removing himself from the Bathurst 12-hour when he concluded he was the least consistent driver on that track (after being fastest at Daytona). In the iRacing 24 hours of Daytona, his team was in 2nd in his split until they were rear-ended in the 22nd hour. They ended up 7th after 11 minutes of repairs. They came in 4th out 53 in class at Bathurst. He made some mistakes in the first team he put together, which initially caused some driver retention issues, but has now learned to “thread the needle” to collaboratively lead and has built up the team enough to field 2 cars. I don’t think any of his teammates are aware that he is still in high school.

I know that Ferrari, Maserati, Mercedes, and BMW have corporate headquarters in North New Jersey, so those seem like possibilities. Ferrari is attractive for obvious reasons, but I know somebody who interned there a few years ago and he didn't feel that he learned a lot. My son usually races an AMG in iRacing, so he has an emotional attachment to Mercedes. The reason I am going into all this detail is because his enthusiasm for studying mechanical engineering and car design couldn’t be higher, so I don’t want to place him in an internship that isn’t engaging or interesting because that could actually reduce the enthusiasm he already has. He is not looking to just "fill out hours" of an internship, he really wants to get some meaningful hands-on experience. He has a lot of experience and personal commitment to offer, so if there is an intern opportunity that will leverage his experience and enthusiasm, I’m certain whoever offers the internship will be very happy with his contribution.

Please let me know if you know of engaging racing or automotive intern opportunities.

2. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Bump ...

Does anybody know of any automotive or racing intern opportunities in North New Jersey?

My son will be attending Stevens Institute of Technology, starting next year, to study Mechanical Engineering with a focus on automotive design. He is looking for an internship related to automotive design or racing beginning in mid-May for 20+ hours a week. Please let me know or send me a PM if you are aware of an opportunity.

3. spyder625

spyder625 Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2017
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Mike
    im not sure if they are looking, but Paul miller has a race team. maybe worth a phone call. good luck

peterp likes this.
  4. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Thank you. This is an awesome suggestion! We have a meeting tomorrow morning to discuss another possible internship, but we will definitely look into Paul Miller racing.

5. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Some thoughts:

Wide World and Miller both have racing teams

Find other dealers who have such teams.

Find who is racing BMW (Rahal/ Letterman) and AMG etc.

Though it might not be racing, Monticello Motor Club might have something he could use as a stepping stone?

6. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I used to comb the NHRA pit when they ran the SummerNationals at Englishtown. That's gone now, but the concept is still the same - attend a race and ask around.

7. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob

I don't know about Ferrari but Maserati left NJ some time ago and is in the Detroit area with Chrysler guys ruining the show now. :p

You could ask the guys at Classic Coach and also Bill @ Eurotire in Fairfield. His brother is doing race stuff full time now I think with Pirelli?

8. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    It's possible his internship is set as of this morning's meeting. It's a bit different, but very constructive. It will be a while before we know for sure. Will share details later if it does go forward.

Thank you, will check out Wide World and BMW/AMG racing teams.

Good idea. He and I flew down for 24 hours of Daytona a couple of months ago. I'm guessing there were teams from NY/NJ area, but did not think to ask. :( Will do this going forward.

Hopefully that Detroit influence will at least result in Maserati radios being able to receive those newfangled, fancy bands (like FM, and AM) :)

Good idea, I know Frank from Classic Coach and I've talked to Bill before having had service at Eurotire.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  9. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Best of luck to your son as he continues his adventure!

peterp likes this.