DRIVERLESS UBER KILLS PEDESTRIAN TODAY OOPPSIE.... | Page 3 | FerrariChat

DRIVERLESS UBER KILLS PEDESTRIAN TODAY OOPPSIE....

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by gtjoey, Mar 19, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    to me, this unfortunate incident will be a watershed moment for the future of this technology.

in our overly litigious society, WHO is liable, ie who can we punish for an accident, is a vital component.

IF it is just uber, then they will have to reconsider their programming. in turn, all of the others involved in this tech will then realize, by precedent, that their programs will be held liable - maybe their programmers, and that will give them pause....

Texas Forever likes this.
  2. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Heavy Sigh. I guess it is too much to expect the blame with be put on the clueless person who walked in front of the car?

3. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    to answer that question, we need to ask ourselves where the liability would lie IF the car had simply been driven by a person.
    in that case, would the pedestrian or the driver be at fault? i guess the answer depends on many things, but in most situations, we woudl not even have video footage of the incident and would just be relying on the driver now to tell his side - and it would be his word against the deceased, along with whatever circumstantial evidence could be derived. it would likely end up with an involuntary manslaughter charge against the driver.

so extrapolate that out to a driver-less car, and you have involuntary manslaughter, or at least some kind of negligence charge, invoked against the 'driver', which in this case is the software, hence the software maker.....

lets see where it goes.

4. gtjoey

gtjoey Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2014
    That's where I was going.....
    Wouldn't you think that because this technology is for all MANKIND that maybe , just maybe a
    Neil Armstrong, Chick Yeager, Thomas Edison KIND OF PERSON SHOULD BE DRIVING THIS?
    Blame, we know the answer......ALL OF US ON THIS EMAIL ARE GOING TO PAY , ITS our FAULT.

Texas Forever likes this.
  5. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I dunno. I think they're just going to sue Uber, like everybody else in the world. Besides, I believe Uber writes it own software.

6. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    if they sue uber and win, it will affect all the other program writers for driverless cars. whether that is a car company, a software company, or an individual programmer.
    like i said, this case will have far reaching implications.

7. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I suspect Uber will not be found 100% liable. In fact, their share of contributory negligence may end up being very low, in even a jury trial. I recall the Porsche GT case a few years back. Porsche did nothing wrong, but the two people who died had large insurance policies, which motivated the insurance companies to sue Porsche. I believe Porsche was found to have something like 10% to 15% contributory negligence. We'll see, huh?

8. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    yes we will. as terrible as it is, this case will expose many things.....

9. gtjoey

gtjoey Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2014
    Sad really

10. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    look at the dow today - all the chip makers, the riverless car companies, etc all getting hit, because the implications i allude to are starting to dawn on people.

11. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Where did you hear that? Could not find that, only that there was an out of court settlement, possibly around the seatbelt design. Not released to the public.

12. gtjoey

gtjoey Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2014
    News flash Ford Uber pool in California drives off road down flight of stairs with no reason, all three passengers were not hurt.
    It just came over the phone.

13. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Just memory. I believe Porsche was in for a small amount of the settlement. It's probably on Ferrari Chat somewhere, if you can find it.

14. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I can't see how an individual programmer would ever be personally named in a lawsuit. Not only because they don't have much to go after (unlike a physician and malpractice), but also because it's really the company's control to release the product or not. It's not like a physician that independently does their own thing. Have any airline mechanics been personally sued that were found to cut corners and lead to planes crashes? I know that some crashes happened a few times decades ago with short cuts taken to change out engines (AA flight 191). I think it still only falls on the airline. The employee has nothing worth going after.

15. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    sure. i agree. but never underestimate the length to which a lawyer will extend his pursuit of a guilty party to pay up.
    i think it stops with companies, and that is why the stock markets dropped away today as people started to realize this.

16. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Yeah I agree with likely stops with the companies, but maybe some lawyer would want to really mess up someones life. I think in Japan after a 747 crash a long time ago the people that worked on the plane committed suicide. That's a cultural thing and I don't think it would happen much in the US. I know it's happened before in the hospital setting when a doctor did something wrong and felt guilty (resident, not a wealthy attending).

As far as today's stock market drop, I don't think it has to do with that tho...lots of other things cause daily fluctuations and I don't think led it to it at least for today. The Treasury Dept announcing it needs $300 billion via bonds this week (most ever since 2008) probably had a bigger part in that. http://money.cnn.com/2018/03/27/investing/us-debt-sale-record-treasury/index.html

17. NoSpeedLimit

NoSpeedLimit Karting

Sep 6, 2013
    I often think, how much time would I need to take control again, if the computer thinks he can't control the situation.
    Imagin surfing the internet or being distracted by a phone call and suddenly the car asks you to take control.
    How long would it take to assess the situation?
    Today I read in a magazin the Audi engineers say: 10s! That's awfully long!
    If the computer drives the car 95% of the time, it will try to return the control to an unexperienced driver in an unclear situation.
    Reminds me in the accident with the Air France 447, when the Pitot tubes failed and the autoplot switched off.
    The pilots had 2 or 3 minutes to react and failed.

18. gtjoey

gtjoey Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2014
    Great news....Uber says today they will do back round checks on drivers for driverless cars!
    WOW what a smart idea........its never going to happen AMIGO'S....