FORMULA 1 2018 GULF AIR BAHRAIN GRAND PRIX: RACE *** SPOILERS *** | Page 23 | FerrariChat

FORMULA 1 2018 GULF AIR BAHRAIN GRAND PRIX: RACE *** SPOILERS ***

Discussion in 'F1' started by SPEEDCORE, Apr 8, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    But don´t the have pit boards? I think there are other ways to tell the driver what to do other than the team radio...
    A simple "push", "keep position" or "pit" sign should be enough to tell the driver what to do during the race and tell him about the intended stategy...

I loved the fact that Seb told his own team over the radio that the tires are fine although they were gone because he knew Mercedes would hear that call and take their informations from that :D

stavura, NEP, CSM0TION and 3 others like this.
  2. 11506apollo

11506apollo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2008
    Tx Co Ca
    Enough has been said on here about the race.
    My question is with regards to Seb's tires.
    Pirelli disclosed how many laps each compound is supposed to last.
    25, 30, 40 laps for medium, softs, and SS, something like that. not sure of actual numbers.
    Tha's besides the point.
    My question is what's the explanation for Seb's tires still be "driveable" and "controllable" and "ok" even though he clearly surpassed Pirelli's recommended max number of laps by 10 (?) laps at least.
    Of course Seb drove with incredible skills. Of course Seb conserved his tires. he is a master at it.
    However, I seriously (will) question Pirelli's numbers from now on. There is a lot of uncertainty on the number of laps a compound will last.

3. thirteendog

thirteendog Formula 3

Mar 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Rubbering in of the track, ambient temp, track temp, driver skill, there are a lot of variables. I believe Pirelli's numbers are on the safe side, but they could never give a definite number of laps before the tire fell off. Too many things to consider.

jgonzalesm6 likes this.
  4. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    There are 2 occasions where Ferrari attempted this in the past and blew the tires, though this is, I think, the farthest beyond the recommendations they tried. Given that, I was fully expecting to see Vettel get a puncture or have to pit before the end. The former could have been disasterous, and cost a podium, the latter given him an easy 3rd as the gap to Gasly was over a minute. Given nobody even saw a blister on the tires, I can see why they went for it, and it worked out (probably, at least in part, due to the lessons they learned when they went for it in the past and it didn't work out).

jgonzalesm6 likes this.
  5. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    #555 jgonzalesm6, Apr 9, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
    yeah, I did'nt see any differentiation in Seb's tyres in those last 10 laps....front and rear..they all looked smooth....you can tell when the tyres are really shot when you start seeing "bands" on the tyres. I think the SF71-H does'nt eat tyres as fast like the W09. ex of the tyres in these photos.

[​IMG]

Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I'll bet Pirelli will really examine Seb's tires carefully to see what condition they were really in. Could he have gone another 5 or 10 laps, or was at least one of them ready to blow? (It's a good thing he didn't attempt any "doughnuts"!)

7. maulaf

maulaf Formula 3

Feb 24, 2011
    Cape Town
    Oh, quite possibly. I have only watched that one race and there was ontop of everything rain coming out and then it dried up again. It was really the driver's choice there. And as they had no means of knowing how well others fare that have pitted they had to remain on their own gut feeling. Superb.

A tyre lasting a certain amount of laps is due to how you drive it. If you keep it in the right temperature and be careful with how you load it you make it last longer. Equally break a bit earlier, go gentle through the harsh turns, voila. I think it is mean to last 30 laps under average "consumption". I am a lazy driver and my breaks and tyres last way longer than anyone else I know. When I was a student me and my friend had identical cars. He went through tyres 4x faster than I did! Equally, though, he went through his clutch and breaks at a similar rate :)

8. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I thought it was a good move. He likely would not have had another chance to get past Ham. If he had succeeded Ham would have not been able to move up nearly as quickly. The lead up to the pass and the pass itself was perfect. Trying to push Ham outside was risky, not stupid per say, just risky and it resulted in a race incident that ultimately retired the car.

9. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Kimi called "Ciga" to check in on how he's doing.

it.motorsport.com/f1/news/ferrari-raikkonen-ha-telefonato-a-francesco-cigarini-gia-in-piedi-1024287/ … (Italian)

NEP and Bas like this.
  10. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    From someone that doesn't watch F1 regularly, what is the reason for Kimi stopping in pit lane after hitting the mechanic? Stopping and abandoning your car in the middle of pit lane seems like a pretty unsafe practice, and would be an issue for any other car that needed to come in. I don't think they ever actually closed pit lane did they?

11. BMWairhead

BMWairhead Formula 3

Sep 11, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Ted
    I like the concept, but modern electronics would make cheating incredibly easy...unless the FIA wants to jam all frequencies in the vicinity of the track. Of course, that would be impossible because there are helicopters, medical personnel, marshalls, etc. who rely on information transmitted wirelessly.

12. 11506apollo

11506apollo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2008
    Tx Co Ca

If this business of tire life IS NOT an exact science, then Pirelli should provide a "range" and not an exact number. This would be more accurate and reflecting reality. I deal with life predictions too, on different items though, but there are always external factors influencing these estimates. Soft compound should last 25 to 35 laps under average driving conditions would be more realistic to me then a hard 30 number, IMHO.
    I for one, would much prefer to see the cars wearing one compound from lap 1 to last lap, of course if it rains they have the option to switch, but in dry weather, one tire for the entire race would be a much better measure of whom deserves to be the champion. Instead, the championship can, and has in the past been decided on training and competence of the Pit crew. Pit crew tire replacement skills (or lack thereof) should not IMHO have an impact on the driver's or manufacturer's championship.

13. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Yes, why didn't Kimi continued and return to change the other tire? I know twh team told him to stop but why?...all 4 tires where properly atached or not?

tonyswfla likes this.
  14. nietoale1

nietoale1 Karting

Dec 28, 2012
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Alex Nieto
    stavura, NEP and Bundy like this.
  15. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    I am quit sure that he would have been disqualified going out on the hot track with two different tyres...not to mention how dangerous it would have been to drive once around the entire track with them

Bas and daytona355 like this.
  16. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    When he rolled out of the pit box he had 3 new tires and one old one.

17. tonyswfla

tonyswfla Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 2, 2007
    Florida
    i believe you have three laps to replace the tire

18. trumpet77

trumpet77 Formula 3

Jun 13, 2011
    Great Neck, NY
    Full Name:
    Robert Nixon
    watched the radio call highlight video on the F1 website, after Gasly finishes and they are congratulating him, he also adds, "Now we can fight!".

This gets my vote for T-shirt of the year, up there with "Leave me alone I know what I'm doing"

19. trumpet77

trumpet77 Formula 3

Jun 13, 2011
    Great Neck, NY
    Full Name:
    Robert Nixon
    Exactly what it says on the F1 website, in the summary of rules for tires, this is not the actual regulation:
    • "Any driver who uses a set of tyres of differing specifications during the race may not complete more than three laps on this set before changing them for a set of tyres of the same specification. A penalty will be imposed on any driver who does not change tyres within three laps."
    And here is the excerpt from 24.4 (b)
    The only sets of tyres which may be used during an Event are those which are defined in Article 24.2(a). Any driver who uses a set of tyres of differing specifications during the race may not complete more than three laps on this set before changing them for a set of tyres of the same specification. A penalty under Article 38.3(d) will be imposed on any driver who does not change tyres within three laps. For the avoidance of doubt, a set of tyres of differing specifications will not be con

20. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I can get that if that is the rule. I just don't understand stopping in the middle of pit lane.

Other forms of racing have a cutout at the end of pit lane for cars to go back behind the wall. The end of pit lane is also where stop and hold penalties are enforced in some series. Both of those seem like better options than stopping in the middle of pit lane, and having the crew push the car back.

21. trumpet77

trumpet77 Formula 3

Jun 13, 2011
    Great Neck, NY
    Full Name:
    Robert Nixon
    Not sure if Kimi was totally out of tires or what the rest of their thinking was either.

Since F1 doesn't do it that way, (take the car back to the garage or behind the garages) I guess they were thinking that stopping and then pushing the car back to repair would be faster than driving an entire lap. The cars are not allowed to shift into reverse on the pit lane.

22. itschris

itschris Formula 3

Sep 15, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I looked at the video a couple times... hard to watch... but could they just not get that rear tire off. It didn't appear that they were even doing anything. Maybe it's just hard to tell while they're working the gun trying to get it off but it looked like nothing was even happening in that corner. Also, the 'go" lights that Kimi looks for - are they triggered manually by someone in pit lane or what and if so, how did they not see a guy standing in front of a giant rear wheel about to run him over?

23. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    Kimi was ordered to stop by the pit wall. It wasn’t his decision. I can only presume that they didn’t know if the left rear was securely attached or loose. They had to stop him or risk catastrophe.

Bas, daytona355 and trumpet77 like this.
  24. trumpet77

trumpet77 Formula 3

Jun 13, 2011
    Great Neck, NY
    Full Name:
    Robert Nixon
    #574 trumpet77, Apr 9, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
    This website has lap times, you can find the lap times and subtract all the other drivers then mouse along and see his last 10 laps slowing down. Not enough for blisters or graining, but getting slower. https://www.racefans.net/2018/04/08/2018-bahrain-grand-prix-interactive-data-lap-charts-times-and-tyres/
    LAP TIME
    40 94.800
    45 95.482
    46 95.437
    47 95.019
    48 95.266
    49 95.302
    50 95.332
    51 95.406
    52 95.412
    53 95.805
    54 95.778
    55 95.947
    56 96.625
    57 97.033

jgonzalesm6 likes this.
  25. maulaf

maulaf Formula 3

Feb 24, 2011
    Cape Town
    I don't think Pirelli says "this tyre lasts 30 laps". They most likely communicate somthing like:

Under the reference conditions (see attachement A: track temperature; attachement B: air temperature; attachement C: fuel load; attachement D: engine mapping) we predict a 90% likelihood of compound XYZ lasting 30 laps given car conditions are within: attachement E: tyre pressure; attachement F: suspension geometry; attachement G: tyre temperature.

It is only all boiled down to something really really really simple that a TV station can communicate to the viewers.