3.4L GTSi build | FerrariChat

3.4L GTSi build

Discussion in '308/328' started by Newman, Apr 12, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Mid Jan I started on 2 more 3.4's, one carb and this one being a 2 valve CIS car thats retaining the stock appearance but with a lot more punch!

Found some surprises once it started coming apart, the rod bearings being wiped was an eye opener. The engine ran fine with no indication it was ready to spin a bearing but had bad leak-down numbers as well as significant oil consumption which prompted the build. Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

AN-M, hyenahf and jkstevens2 like this.
  2. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Wow! Yeah ticking time bomb there. Very fortunate to get it apart when you did.

3. dave80gtsi

dave80gtsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dave Meredith
    How many miles were on that engine?

4. JCR

JCR F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    H-Town, Tejas
    The missing overlay appears to be from cavitation.

5. jkstevens2

jkstevens2 Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2015
    Winter Park, FL
    Full Name:
    JK Stevens
    Looking at that motor is like looking at art work..........so elegant. I would absolutely love to have a ferrari motor on a stand in my office.

6. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    I don't recall but Ill check today. Its a very clean and tight car to drive though. 1 and 8 were the worst 2 bearings which are the first two to get fed from the oil pump so it wasn't an oiling problem. You can see in the pic that the bearing has no crush whatsoever and was ready to spin. Leak down numbers were valve and ring related, cam gear fences were coming off and some other common problems like leaks as you can tell. Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
  8. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    George Vosburgh and climb like this.
  9. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

The aluminum gears were supplied to me for the carb'd version Im doing and I did a belt wrap test, not good! If you don't do a full wrap you would never know the pitch is incorrect which will eat the belt over time. Both engines have the plastic gears which are being replaced regardless. The best solution IMO that gets me the correct pitch and no fancy red anodized parts effecting the look of the engine means new OEM.

10. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    I'm almost ready for this myself.

I'd like to talk to you about it soon. Do you need the whole car or can I pull the engine and send it to you? Thoughts on a 3.4 QV with ITB's?

11. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Absolutely. Sending the engine is an option for sure. Feel free to email me.

12. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    63000 miles on the odometer.

13. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister

Can you explain the wrap test? What in that pic are we seeing that is not good. Thanks

Edit, I think I see where the teeth on the new pulley (top right area of new pulley) do not engage the teeth as fully

14. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Yes the teeth get out of sync the further the belt goes around it. The teeth on the gear are not the same pitch as the belt but the belt fits the OEM pulley perfectly - plastic or steel. My understanding is the tooth design is proprietary, not just a simple square and you can see that its not just a square tooth. Is the aftermarket pulley getting around this legality with a slightly different tooth or is it a machining error? Considering these were purchased on-line its safe to say there's cars running around with them in use right now.

15. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    62-70 K miles (100-110 k km) is usually a mileage that is enough to wear the crankshaft bearings, even if they still work. When the oil consumption goes up a lot, the engine is gone.

You are doing an excellent job with that engine: will it retain the exterior OEM look or will you change something?

ciao

Alberto

16. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Thanks Alberto,

It will look stock with the exception of the pollution control which will be boxed up and kept and the stock heat shields on the manifolds were no longer salvageable so I removed them and coated the manifolds in black ceramic.

Albert-LP likes this.
  17. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Why is that?

Why is it a Japanese car company can build an inexpensive motor in an inexpensive car and use bearing material that can go 300k but Ferrari can't get 60K?

What the hell?

JCR likes this.
  18. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

I'm going to do my pulleys next year, I was thinking of going to Dinoparts. Thoughts?

19. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    I don't know anything about them. Are yours plastic?

20. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    #20 Albert-LP, Apr 14, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
    Maybe because the Ferrari engine turns up to 7700 RPM and has much bigger specific power and power/weight ratio?

308 engine crankshaft bearings were designed in 1973. They were very well designed as 1973 Lamborghini crankshaft bearings did 15-20k miles

21. JohnnyTS

JohnnyTS Formula Junior

Jun 3, 2012
    Pretoria East, RSA
    Full Name:
    John
    and the 328 engine ?

22. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    Pay attention: that engine under ribuilding wasn't broken, it worked well. One thing is the mileage to reach the maximum allowed plays, another the mileage that makes the engine fail. I mean: if the engine plays go over the allowed maximum plays (or loses compression) at 100K, very likely the engine will fail not before reaching 150 K. There are A LOT (most) of engines running over the maximum allowed plays and under the correct compression ratio: they still work, but they drink much oil and they no more develop the correct power.

ciao

23. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    The 328 engine (and QV) have the Nikasil liners as well which adds greatly to a rebuild and double the valves doesn't help either. Talk about being upside down if any of them need rebuilding!

Albert-LP likes this.
  24. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

25. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman