Testarossa Price Trends | Page 13 | FerrariChat

Testarossa Price Trends

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Mr.Chairman, Dec 9, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Some interesting posts of late and I've been on the fence of sorts. In addition to my 91 Testarossa, I have a 06 Murcielago Roadster. I'll be buying an Aventador Roadster in a year or so and have been debating on which one to sell. I absolutely do not want 3 cars with the amount of time and effort it takes to keep them in the condition I like.

I really prefer driving my Lamborghini Murcielago Roadster over the Testarossa and my Lamborghini Diablo VT Roadster before it....I'm more of a Lamborghini guy.

That said, yesterday changed my mind. What's the point of having 2 modern paddle shift cars in the garage.

The thing I love about the TR is the lack of computer anything, manual steering and gated shift. The ride is so rewarding and if you accept the car for what it is....not fast and lack luster brakes.

...we all know this

I was in the Celebration Exotic Car Festival yesterday where I won a platinum award with my 64k miles on the clock Testarossa. I drove the car to the show and while I always see other Testarossas, 512TR''s M's etc, it's when you're driving up behind another Testarossa that you see how different the car looks to everything on the road...including the new overly large modern Ferraris. It really made my jaw drop!
    While at the show, I was really amazed with the response from very young people. I've said this before but for some reason, this car seems to resonate with melianials and younger. I see it by crowd gathered by the car at many different types of shows....they just don't know what to make of it...just that it's different.

So, what does this have to do with the values? I just see them going up by the nature of what the Testarossa offers...especially as the newer cars lose more and more of that viseral feel. If I would rather prefer my Testarossa sitting next to an Aventador Roadster instead of next to my Murcielago Roadster, that says something....and the Murcielago Roadster does everything better.

Perplexed by why the values haven't gone way up? I think it has to do with the car was a high fashion car and like high fashion, it gets dated quickly. But, when it comes back, it comes back big.

What's old is new again lol

Shamile

Freeze...Miami Vice!

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

2. VColin

VColin Karting

Aug 5, 2012
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Vince
    My personal opinion is that a Countach is just as desirable to own as a Testarossa, but the production numbers will make the values very different. I think that "some point soon" will be about 20-30 years. The Testarossa is an amazing car, but that isn't the only factor determining value. Low production numbers not only give the perception that something is more rare and special, but they make a car less available at any given time. If there are fewer options at any given time, someone who wants the car now will push the market higher. If there are fewer cars, it takes fewer buyers who are willing to push the market.
    The Testarossa production numbers were the highest to date for Ferrari, by a large margin. I don't think you can make comparisons to other classic Ferrari and contemporary car value trajectories because the production numbers are so different. I read comments about how Daytonas used to be $100k, then years later they're $700k, or how 512s were just $100k cars and now they're already $300k, it's only a matter of time for the continuation of the 12 cylinder Ferrari, the Testarossa, to make similar moves. There were less than 1500 Daytonas made, and less than 2000 512s made(~2300 if you count the 365 GT4 BB in the same group), though. There were over 7000 Testarossas made. ~2300 512 TRs. 500 512 Ms. How much do you think current Daytona and 512 values would be if there were 3-5 times as many cars available? There were ~2000 of all of the Countach iterations produced. There were ~10,000 of Testarossa iterations produced. If there were ~ 5 times fewer Testarossas available, I think they would be close to current Countach values.

3. JB833

JB833 Karting

Jan 3, 2015
    London
    Thank you, you've just convinced me not to sell mine. I was considering it.... but I know I will regret it if I do!

Modulo_B and blkdiablo33 like this.
  4. blown daytona

blown daytona Formula 3

Feb 6, 2008
    maryland
    VColin, I can appreciate what you are saying about the production numbers, but as an owner of a Testarossa and a Countach, they were both poster cars of the 80's (although the countach was more dramatic) the TR is by far a much better car both in design, engineering and quality of build. I call my Countach an Italian kit car :) Sometimes numbers dont matter....Ford GT is one example 4000+ made

5. Parnelli

Parnelli Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Greg P
    I love Testa's but they will never be $500K cars based on production numbers. Shamile is that your white TR?? SEXY !!!!! More pics please

Shamile likes this.
  6. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    The answer is right there in front of you....sell the Murcielago Roadster and find a Manual Murcielago Roadster! I like the Aventador but just seems to lack emotion IMO. Yes it's very loud, looks great and so on, but doesn't quite have that emotion the old Murcielago has.

Claudia65 and Shamile like this.
  7. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    No, mine is the red one. It's the one I'm in holding the trophy up ;) lol

The white one is owned by a friend named Bill. He's in this section but I can't remember his f chat handle.

Shamile

Freeze...Miami Vice!

8. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    #308 Shamile, Apr 15, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
    I will 100% agree that the Aventador is soft and honestly kinda boring like most modern super fast exotics. But, at 465k for a manual Murcielago LP640 Roadster, I'm just not willing to pay a collector premium for what will be a daily driver.

I worked with Lamborghini Sarasota for a few months to do a manual conversion. Lamborghini Italy said that they would not provide technical support and I'm too busy for open-ended projects.

Soooo...Aventador Roadster it is. If I just get sick of the car, despite loving the look of it, maybe back to a Diablo VT Roadster again or Diablo 6.0 I never got sick of that car. It was like a Testarossa on steroids lol

Shamile

Freeze...Miami Vice!

blkdiablo33 and TODDZTR like this.
  9. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    great pics Post more if u have

Shamile likes this.
  10. Parnelli

Parnelli Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Greg P
    Shamile- Got it. For some reason I thought you owned a white one. I must have read "freeze...Miami Vice" too many times :) LOL

GREATEST show ever BTW

Shamile likes this.
  11. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Haha....now that's funny!

Shamile

Freeze....Miami Vice!

12. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    Shamile likes this.
  13. Parnelli

Parnelli Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Greg P
    Great pics dude. You are a lucky man. It's 32 degrees here in Milwaukee today :( So I can't even imagine the pleasure of going to a car show like that right now

I was in Naples last week and it was 85 and sunny every day

Let me know if your buddy want to unload that white TR !

14. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
  15. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    It's a beautiful day everyday in Florida!

The chicks are hot, the drinks are cold and the palm trees always shimmer in the breeze.

My friend Caitlin yesterday.

Btw, Bill is selling his white 90 Testarossa. I think he has it listed for 120k I can't remember his handle so, maybe if he reads this thread, he will reach out to you. If not, next time I see him, I'll tell him to hit you up.

Shamile

Freeze...Miami Vice! Image Unavailable, Please Login

Bas, E_Man, TODDZTR and 1 other person like this.
  16. Parnelli

Parnelli Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Greg P
    Caitlin + TR = Amazing beauty :)

Shamile likes this.
  17. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Love the garage! I hate when garages are cluttered with non car stuff;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Natkingcolebasket69

19. Natkingcolebasket69

Dreaming and not seeing a penny!
    Im starting to see some 512tr with miles in the 150k range too now.

20. Natkingcolebasket69

Please pm me when its 500k before i turn 100;) i dont see it.

21. Natkingcolebasket69

Long term it all makes sense...i mean 7k TR is not that much compared to current ferraris.
    Its also the last one before the f40 enzo saw, manual, flat 12... many are crashed or destroyed so if u don’t need to sell it for family reasons like i did i totally agree that within 5-10 years this is a 200k car potentially...right now though it isn’t at all. More like a 100k car which is not cheap.
    One thing for sure i miss mine and really am looking forward to get my 512 later this year. My favorite version of the 3.

VColin, Shamile and blkdiablo33 like this.
  22. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Agreed. But even at 100k, what's the point of selling it for that?

What would you buy? A F1 360...a F1 430? Both those cars are just old modern Ferraris.

This is why I don't see owners letting them go cheap if they're in good condition.

Shamile

Freeze...Miami Vice!

peteficarra and turbo-joe like this.
  23. Natkingcolebasket69

Well i did just because twins coming and too many 2 door cars;)
    I will use the money towards the 512. For some reasons i do love newer ferraris but they just don’t do it for me. Every time i think about it all choices point towards a 512tr so that i have a small sense of improvement over the tr.
    I see the 430 and so forth as a nice second ferrari car...they are special to drive but they just don’t look it to me. Not sure why.

turbo-joe and Shamile like this.
  24. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    I feel the exact same way. If one sells their Testarossa for a 100k, there's nothing in that price range that has the same presence. There's nothing to buy.

That will only dawn on the seller after the excitement of holding a 100k in his hands wears off lol

Shamile

Freeze...Miami Vice!