Speciale Market | Page 7 | FerrariChat

Speciale Market

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by DM1, Jan 21, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PininfarinaSF

PininfarinaSF Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 21, 2004
    CA
    That’s a really nice looking car and the price seems fair. Do you know what the asking price was? Was the car listed? I don’t remember seeing it anywhere.

2. doccharlie954

doccharlie954 Formula Junior

Jul 27, 2010
    Price of window sticker $326k bought for $375k

3. PininfarinaSF

PininfarinaSF Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 21, 2004
    CA
    Sorry, don't mean to ask the same question multiple times but do you know what the dealer set the asking price at for the car? I understand that they settled on $375k. The reason I ask is that it seems the cars I see with that low of mileage are all asking $400k+ and I don't even bother investigating them.

4. doccharlie954

Jul 27, 2010
    Price was set at $375k. FIRM

5. DM1

DM1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2006
    Southwest
    Full Name:
    DM
    Would you mind posting the VIN number on the car so that we can check the history on it. That way we can make an accurate assessment of where the market may be at. I’ve seen cars with over $200k in body damage, and never reported anywhere. “Spotless” can have many meanings.

6. FerrariFL

FerrariFL Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2012
    $50 k over for low mileage cars seems to be market 2015s...This one just happens to have a low msrp.

7. doccharlie954

Jul 27, 2010
    This car was bought new at dealership. We know history of the car. It' a 10++++.Rather not post vin for privacy reasons. Thanks

8. PininfarinaSF

PininfarinaSF Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 21, 2004
    CA
    Does anyone know anything about the red low mileage Speciale currently offered by Cauley?

9. Bendrover

Bendrover Karting

Dec 18, 2005
    Tulsa, OK
    So I have been following the market every day for sometime now and this is what I know. Made a low offer on a 15' that was listed at $389K, under 2,000 miles and it ended up selling for $350K and the dealership lost money on the car. (sold $30K over it's sticker). This was a few months ago.

I made an offer on another 15' at $36K over sticker and ended up $12K apart. FWIW that car can be bought for $33K off what they are asking, at least when I was talking to them. That dealer told me he has to much in it and will wait until someone pays what they need. That car still sits almost 3 months later.

Lastly, this is second hand that I deem reliable. From a Ferrari dealership - The cars that are out there are sitting and wholesale is low $300K depending on car. Makes me think my offer at $36K over sticker wasn't a smart offer on my end.

As much as I would like to get a Speciale, I'm having a hard time figuring out the market.

I would welcome any other input.

Later

10. Clay512TR

Clay512TR Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2015
    Sammamish, WA
    Full Name:
    Clayton Lee Stephens
    I guess I think a little differently than most about cost vs market on these types of cars. I detailed the process I use to purchase a new to me Ferrari in a different thread a few days ago. Bottom line is I don’t want a discount Speciale and I will pay the right price for the right model that has the right options. The market is what I make it for the car I want...regardless of what others pay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    From my experience, the cars that have a tough time selling are usually missing the right options. The Speciale standsout from the other special series in that it had a very flexible and extensive options list. Many highly desirable features that were standard on the Scuderia (and appear to be standard on the Pista) were for some reason optional on the Speciale. This resulted in many Speciale specs missing what many people would consider critical features.

Finally, the Speciale config allowed buyers to go a bit crazy with the cosmetic options, alot more so than previous generations. As everyone should know, cosmetic options generally have the poorest ROI in terms of resale.

A good example: for $330K, you can have a car with options such as parking sensors, parking camera, lifter, homelink, NART stripe, and perhaps 1-2 small carbon fiber options. Or you can have a similarly priced car without any of those but an alcantara central tunnel and headliner, custom stitching, a colorful dashboard, $10k carbon fiber diffuser, and blacked out exhaust tips. Obviously one of these cars is going to command a higher resale than the other.

12. galt

galt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2005
    Curious on this. If the body damage is not reported on the Carfax or AutoCheck, how will the VIN help you find evidence of damage that was never reported?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

13. DM1

DM1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2006
    Southwest
    Full Name:
    DM
    Just wanting to make sure we are talking about a real car.

14. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    Really?
    Does not show a salvage title?
    Who would buy a good condition car, for, let us say, $375,000, wreck it and put another $200,000 into it out of their own pocket to keep it off the radar and then presume to sell it for $375,000 as being in original condition?

Sorry, but that seems a bit far fetched, are you certain about this? Maybe you could list the VINs of such cars?

15. DM1

DM1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2006
    Southwest
    Full Name:
    DM
    Car I was talking about was worth more than a Speciale, actually it wasn’t even a Ferrari. What I’m saying is you can have a modern car that has a clean Carfax and clean Autocheck and yet it has hundreds of thousands of dollars in body repairs.

16. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    well, then what does that have to do with the Speciale? seems nothing unless your point is you can have significant repairs (just not those in the 'hundreds of thousands') that do not show up anywhere, but, you can check paint depth, you can look for telltale signs, etc, if you do a PPI with someone who knows that particular car in-and-out you can find repairs unless they were done absolutely perfectly and then what would the point be? if perfect then maybe that is ok? in my experience, repairs done at shops that will not report are usually done on the cheap and easy to spot the 'repairs' since they do not try to be perfect

and, how do you know about this high-worth car you are telling us about? was it your car? if it was done totally off grid, exactly how do you know about it?

17. DM1

DM1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2006
    Southwest
    Full Name:
    DM
    It’s not any of my cars but I was told about it by my local dealer (not a Ferrari). And YES, I was surprised and Thankful about the info.

18. PininfarinaSF

PininfarinaSF Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 21, 2004
    CA
    My experience has been similar to yours. There certainly seems to be a huge disparity between the asking prices and what the cars actually move at, at least in my experience. Additionally, both cars that I have had interest in and both which in my opinion have extremely unrealistic asking prices have been for sale for 3 - 6 months. If the $300,000 wholesale price is real that is very interesting.

Just my opinion, but whether you think the Pista looks good or not the performance is certainly compelling. I would assume that as those lucky enough to have received an allocation for one get their Pista at least some of them will hand in their Speciale. More supply usually means lower prices.

19. Afonsolaw

Afonsolaw Formula 3

Sep 11, 2011
    New jersey
    What if it's a F40

20. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    Well, those are really simple cars, the factory paint is super thin, should be really easy to figure out if has been repaired...right? and I wonder how many of the OEM parts are available, maybe the factory keeps track of the VIN parts are ordered for?

21. DM1

DM1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2006
    Southwest
    Full Name:
    DM
    Guys, it was not an F40 I was talking about. But it was a Car that was worth more than the Speciale is today.

22. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    Seems the supply of second hand Speciale cars are swelling. United States has 30 hardtop coupes listed for sale. I remember last summer it was usually <15.

Asking prices are all over the place too now. Interesting situation.

23. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    people getting ready for the pista

24. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Do you mean some people would dare letting go the NA Graal for an evil turbocharged car? :D

Solid State, 95spiderman and Napoli like this.
  25. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    There is a significant percentage of must-have-the-latest-greatest among Ferrari owners, so I don't find this surprising.

I would at least have to drive a Pista before I sold a Speciale, though.

95spiderman likes this.