Shadow Racing 1975 | FerrariChat

Shadow Racing 1975

Discussion in 'F1' started by Giorgio Piola, May 3, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Was a great team, wasn't it?

1. Yes

13 vote(s)
    92.9%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  1. Giorgio Piola

Giorgio Piola Rookie

Apr 11, 2018
    Genoa
    Full Name:
    Giorgio Piola

This picture is of when I was working as an interpreter between Renzo Zorzi and Tony Southgate at Shadow Racing. I learned a lot about engineering and the setup of the car

NürScud, absostone and tifoso2728 like this.
  2. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Great team: no,
    poor team: no;
    Some useful innovations,
    Some clever driving,
    But few rewards earned.

3. Giorgio Piola

Giorgio Piola Rookie

Apr 11, 2018
    Genoa
    Full Name:
    Giorgio Piola
    Tony Southgate is a very interesting individual, so the experience in that team was pretty great for me:)

tifoso2728 likes this.
  4. Jeronimo GTO

Jeronimo GTO Formula 3

May 15, 2010
    Thanks for sharing!

5. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    'great team' does not always mean 'winning team'.
    There are great teams that fizzle out before their time, Shadow is one of them.

6. Dino2010

Dino2010 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2006
    Belgium
    Dear Mr. Piola,
    It's an honour to write you through this Forum.... Shadow was one of the unforgettable, iconic F1 teams of the past.
    Thanks for sharing. Thank you for what you have done and do for F1 and motorsports in general.
    Best wishes! Auguri!

tifoso2728 likes this.
  7. Giorgio Piola

Giorgio Piola Rookie

Apr 11, 2018
    Genoa
    Full Name:
    Giorgio Piola
    Thank you, Auguri! It's great to be a part of a Forum, where my work and F1 in general is appreciated!

8. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    The cars always looked great too.

Ira Schwartz likes this.
  9. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Thank you for sharing Giorgio, i have good memories of Tom Pryce driving ,especially in the wet.

R.I.P

classic308 likes this.
  10. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
  11. bland

bland Karting

Jan 1, 2013
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Tim Bland
    Giorgio

I have appreciated your illustration for quite some time. The DN5 and DN7 have to be two of the greatest looking F1 cars of all time and the sound of that Matra is intoxication. I have admired your illustrations for quite some time and thank you for all you have done to share the technical side of F1.

Regards,

Tim

375+ likes this.
  12. wiley355

wiley355 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 10, 2010
    Vancouver, WA
    Full Name:
    Wiley
    Giorgio

Thank you for posting in FChat - your technical drawings and cutaways are fabulous and much appreciated.

About Shadow, I voted it a great team, even though they had very little success in F1. Personally, I only saw them in period a couple of times. Once at the 1975 Spanish GP where Tom Pryce finished 4th in the shortened race (first photo) and then at Road Atlanta F5000 with Jackie Oliver (second photo). It's interesting to note that the Shadow F1 cars are showing up in vintage racing (2017 Laguna Seca Spring Classic), and are very popular with the fans, like me :) Here in the Northwest USA, Historic Masters F1 is coming to nearby Portland International Raceway in July and it will be interesting to see what shows up.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login .

NürScud likes this.
  13. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Southgate's career is worth a book. The list of stuff he made or helped to make is long, from Can Am cars, the Arrows F1 team, the Ford RS200 gr. B, lots of Jaguars and even a Ferrari, the 333SP.

14. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    The DN5 was certainly a front line car. Jarier was should have scored a few wins if not for reliability issues(and a few crashes). I never got to see the DN7 run and wonder if the car still exists or if it was returned sans Matra V12 to DN5 spec?

15. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
  16. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Giorgio,

Thank you for joining us here. I have really appreciated your technical insights, cut away drawings and comparisons for years.

Having you on this forum means I can look forward to even more of the same. I hope!

Benvenuti!

tifoso2728 likes this.
  17. islerodreaming

islerodreaming Formula 3

Aug 11, 2007
    Full Name:
    John - a proud Australian man
    I was a big fan of Tom Pryce and Shadow, in period, was a highly underrated team from a period when clever privateers could run with the big boys.

John

classic308 likes this.