F1 race in downtown Miami being discussed for 2019. | Page 3 | FerrariChat

F1 race in downtown Miami being discussed for 2019.

Discussion in 'F1' started by 11506apollo, May 2, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PDX_214

PDX_214 Formula Junior

Apr 25, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    J
    What moron proposed running f1 cars twice over a bridge?? God forbid someone tries to pass verstappen there and cars end up in the water...

2. #53 lorenzobandini, May 5, 2018
    Last edited: May 5, 2018
    IIRC, there have only been 2 or 3 into the harbor (nobody drowned, thank goodness) at Monaco and that was when there were just hay bales to keep you outa the water.
    That course looks like sheet anyway so I hope it's not it.

edit: 'Got me thinkin'..... http://www.answers.com/Q/How_many_cars_went_in_the_water_at_Monaco_formula_1_race

3. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    jgonzalesm6 and F2003-GA like this.
  4. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Exactly

5. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    I was in Miami about 4 days ago. Was last there about 20 years ago, it has changed even more. It would be more appropriate to call it the ‘north Havana’ or ‘wealthy South American tourist’ Grand Prix than anything affiliated with a US title. That city is quite literally not a US city any longer, other than being in Florida. For that reason I do not believe it will have any effect on cota or Canada as the crowds are totally different.

6. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Yep, I think you are 100% correct. Miami is more a South American city vs. an American City. I think that is where it will attract most of its fans. A lot of current an ex F1 drivers have houses in Miami - weather & the international community are the huge draws. In the UK - Miami is like the mecca of Florida... its where everyone wants to go.... I think the race will work well, especially at that time of the year - its just starting to cool off a bit, its easy flights from Brazil, Mexico, etc... and in the same time zone, and there is a lot more to do after and before the race for those making it a vacation... and un like Brazil, where you take your life in your own hands just going to the race... its much safer. Miami does have its issues - but not like Brazil... and this gives South Americans a reason to come visit their money!

7. stibbett

stibbett Karting

Mar 19, 2018
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Simon Tibbett
    I'd go. I'm not a fan of Miami as a place but it would be a fun spot for an F1 race once a year. The track looks iffy but we will see, street courses usually throw in excitement anyway so...

8. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    All the more reason to have a GP there.

BTW: I've been going to Miami quite a bit and I totally love that city.

9. Kiwi Nick

Kiwi Nick Formula 3

Jun 13, 2014
    Durango, CO
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Miami has been the de facto capital of South America for decades. A GP in Miami would be much more the GP of the Americas than a race outside Austin, Texas.

Ferraripilot likes this.
  10. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    Carey also eyeing New York and Las Vegas

MAY 8, 2018

Miami is not the only US city on F1 owner Liberty Media's radar.

It has emerged that authorities are close to giving the green-light for a Miami street race for 2019.

In addition to Austin, it would be the second grand prix in the United States.

World champion Lewis Hamilton said Miami is a "great party spot" full of "beautiful women", but he is not enthused about the proposed layout.

"It's not the one. Let me design it," he wrote on social media.

There may be other American races on the cards anyway.

F1 chief executive Chase Carey told RTL: "We've made it clear from day one that our goal is to continue to develop the sport in the US.

"We have talked about 'destination cities' like Miami, New York and Las Vegas," he added.

Carey insisted, however, that adding more races in America doesn't mean F1 is walking away from its European heritage.

"I want to make it very clear that this is not at the expense of formula one in Europe," he said. "Europe is the foundation of this sport, its homeland, and as far as I'm concerned that will always be the case."

11. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Fantastic, even more good news!

Las Vegas and NY GP? I'm so there as well. Just make it happen please.

TifosiUSA, FerrariFR33458 and NEP like this.
  12. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Not to be political here, but I wonder about the future of such a place. Miami is literally taken over and filthy with the cartels, gangs, and squalor in I'd say most of the non-tourist and even some of the tourist areas. I won't go back, ever.

13. FerrariFR33458

FerrariFR33458 Formula 3

Aug 4, 2017
    Wash DC Area
    Full Name:
    FR33
    Is the Mexico GP clear of that activity? I think not. Adding anymore USGP's would be awesome on all levels. Increasing tax base, fixing infrastructure, employment, would be the positive fall out from such an event. IMHO

14. PDX_214

PDX_214 Formula Junior

Apr 25, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    J
    Can you imagine an F1 race through part of Central Park.... I would definitely go to the east coast for that.

15. Ummmmmmmm...........no. Enuff New Yorkers don't (and never will) get it. I was surprised CART lasted as long as it did at the Meadowlands.

16. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    What ever happened to the plan to run a street race in New Jersey, across the Hudson from NYC? At one time, that seemed quite close to actually happening.

17. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    I remember this; back in 2011/2012. Liberty back in 2017 wanted to make it a night race with the New York city skyline as a backdrop. Permits were done and streets resurfaced. RedBull did a video, like they always do, of the would be track. Could be pending for 2019.

18. Refer to post #66.

19. PDX_214

PDX_214 Formula Junior

Apr 25, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    J
    Oh I don't care about them, I just think it would be cool to have the cars racing through some of the roads and paths through the park. Maybe go around Columbus circle or something.

20. Finlander

Finlander Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 12, 2012
    Sunshine State
    Would’ve been cool!

21. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Crucial step for Miami tomorrow (Thursday 05-10-18) as the city commission will vote plans for a Formula 1 GP.

22. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    The organizers were never able to come up with the $ requested by Bernie. Their last attempt was to hand that job to UBS to run a fund raising campaign and find investor for them. That was DOA and the end of the story.

23. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Fingers crossed on the big day!

F2003-GA likes this.
  24. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Late breaking news…

The City of Miami Commission voted unanimously to move the Miami Formula One
    Grand Prix forward today.

The event now has the blessings of the City of Miami and moves to the next level.

More news as it happens.

BHW

tifosi12 and trumpet77 like this.