Found out dealer didn't disclose paint work | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Found out dealer didn't disclose paint work

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Dansage, May 5, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Okay, just to cheer everyone up, here’s a little story that I was involved in. I took a BMW X5 for a recall on the TV screen a few years ago. Being one of six cars at my disposal at the time, I told them as long as they give me a ride home, they don’t need to lend me a courtesy car, I’ll just pick it up whenever as I’m not in a rush. That evening, they ring me and ask me to pick the car up, it’s finished, it I say ‘don’t worry, traffic is terrible, I’ll come by tomorrow’

Next Day, I turn up, see the service manager, he smiles and gives me the keys ‘cars in the overflow carpark’ he smarms. I wander down, get in, turn the key and the parking sensors go nuts. I’m not normally a fool, so I figure maybe they hit the master switch off to change the TV, so I switch off, wait ten seconds, restart again expecting system to be reset...... bing bong bing bong again. I get out, walk around the car, and the back is smashed in, bumper and rear quarter, and the parking sensor domes have been pushed inside the bumper (fender) hence they are going off as they are seeing the inside of the fender!

I go straight bac to the service manager, tell him, the first thing he says is ‘where did you crash?’. I explained I hadn’t actually moved it, he sniggered and said I must have, so I pointed to the CCTV and asked him to get security to give me a copy of the last hour of tape, confirming the car hadn’t moved. Being rather short tempered, I then dragged the guy by his neck down to the car, with threats of calling cops falling on my deaf ears.

I showed him the damage, he claimed there was nothing on site that would hit the car in that position, to which I sarcastically responded - must be my steel flared trousers then dickhead. I dragged him back to his office, demanded that the car be put right immediately with a TOTAL RESPRAY and new parts, and that unless their boss, who I know well, provides me a statement of this being done, I’d sue them. I then picked up the keys to an M5 demonstrator off his desk, and drove myself out.

On the way home, the phone rang, it was the police, they explained the dealership had reported that I had stolen the demonstrator! I explained they had given me it in lieu of my own car that they had crashed, and I wasn’t prepared to take it back, the cops accepted it and left me alone.

A week and a half later, my X5 arrived on a transporter with a near £10000 invoice, paid by BMW UK, for the rectification works!

Needless to say, it was the last time that dealership got my business (and it was a recall that started it, where they get a fixed fee for a ten minute module change). I travel 100 miles to dealerships for all my cars now, rather than to them despite they are a multi dealership franchise with Porsche, ferrari, Bentley and the rest! Mugs

I have a few more stories about them and other dealers, I’m lucky I have such an evil demeanour as they haven’t yet won when they have ****ed up for me, but it’s more luck than judgement

2. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Omg crazy

Texas Forever likes this.
  3. Dansage

Dansage Karting

May 20, 2012
    Jesus. I aspire to one day be that ballsy. That's insane!

4. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    Why am I not surprised? I have several friends and one relative who bought cars from them and there's a common thread. None of them have ever shopped there more than once.

5. Dansage

Dansage Karting

May 20, 2012
    Yep. The sales side is just shady. That being said their service department is out of this world. Charlie can work wonders. Hopefully Miller will take better care of me and I'll have many more happy Ferrari buying experiences to come like my 488! Anyone have thoughts on Miller? They seem to be well reviewed.

daytona355 likes this.
  6. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Bought my Cali from Miller. Great experience from beginning to end...T

7. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Can see this going the same way as our Dr friend's dealings. with FMOV....

Dealer should buy it back from you at whatever you paid for it...looks like possible fraud case..which could cost them a LOT more in the long run.

599 Manual? nice!

///Mike and daytona355 like this.
  8. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Luckily I have my great uncles attitude to dealing with things.... hands on and immediate! I think sometimes because I do get so direct so quickly when there are issues, the idiots are so shocked they can’t react how they might if a courteous, well mannered person was to call them politely to task.... they are too scared for that!

paulchua and Texas Forever like this.
  9. johngtc

johngtc Formula Junior
    Owner

Mar 4, 2005
    Yorkshire, UK
    Full Name:
    John Gould
    Some years ago a case was reported on this side of the pond where a guy took his new Ford into a bodyshop to have a small scratch rectified. When he collected the car, the bodyshop manager commented that he he been unlucky to have a 'major' on a new car. What, says he!

To cut a long story short, it seems that the car had been badly smashed up in the manufacturer's parking lot, before delivery to the dealer, and they had repaired it. One would have expected Ford to put their hands up and just replace the car but no!

They fought this through to the highest level, appealing decisions which favoured the owner, and eventually won their case, claiming that the car had been competently repaired to 'as new' standards. It must have cost them tens of thousands in legal fees.

Now what strikes me is that they would not do this for a once off event. Better to hush it up and not risk bad publicity. I concluded that quite a lot of cars must be damaged before delivery and that the manufacturer was concerned about setting a precedent.

daytona355 likes this.
  10. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I have had this happen to me, (not with a Ferrari a CPO'd BMW factory Reps car), I got a great deal on the car and I took a bit of hit when I got rid of it, but I take a hit on every car I get rid of. I find it odd that you would loose 60K because of just that though.

11. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    I once witnessed a new car being off-loaded at a dealership where the car rode up out of the wheel tracks on the deck of the transporter and came crashing down on one of the side posts - which punched straight through the outer skin of the back fender. You know damn well that car was repaired and the eventual owner was never aware it had a hole in it.

12. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    Some advise, if you plan to own high end cars, find a really good detail ship that knows what they are doing, or learn how to do it yourself.

13. itsablurr

itsablurr Formula 3

Dec 9, 2005
    Carlisle, MA
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Not that it excuses the dealer's ineptitude or underhandedness, but I assume a PPI was forgone in this case?

14. Dansage

Dansage Karting

May 20, 2012
    Indeed it was forgone, my mistake.

15. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Not so sure I'd have done a PPI buying a CPO car either. Isn't that kind of the point of buying, and most likely paying extra, for a CPO car?

I do remember someone finding out after the fact that their brand new Ferrari had some paint work done. Turns out it was paint flaws found on final inspection or something?! At what point does minor paint work become major body work though? I suppose if it was done at the factory and done correctly for minor flaws it shouldn't be a big deal. This sounds like a different case.

16. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    I'm impressed with your willingness to admit your mistakes. I doubt you'll make the same ones twice, so learning them early on will save you money in the long run.

Still, it's a pity the stealership (they've earned the moniker) hasn't at least tried to make it right with you. Apparently they share their questionable business practices with Brian Ross' Ferrari-Maserati of Vancouver. :(

RossoC360 and daytona355 like this.
  17. GaryR

GaryR Formula 3

Dec 11, 2006
    Valencia, Spain
    Full Name:
    Gary R.
    Miller has a good reputation, but they are a car dealer with employees too... http://www.nydailynews.com/autos/gonna-hurt-1-million-ferrari-enzo-smashed-mechanic-connecticut-article-1.1843311

18. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
  19. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
  20. Dansage

Dansage Karting

May 20, 2012
    Fun update: I've now found out my car had panels replaced and not just repainted! Looks more and more like this is going to shape up to be outright fraud.

21. TheDiffuser

TheDiffuser Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2017
    Full Name:
    The Diffuser
    Now THAT makes a difference. In the voice of Montgomery Burns from The Simpsons - "Smiithers, release the hounds."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

randkin and BMW.SauberF1Team like this.
  22. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I think its all going to depend on you proving the dealer knew. Unless you can prove that its going to be a very uphill battle.

23. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    If they claim they didn't know doesn't that sort of make a mockery out of the whole CPO program?

daytona355 and TheDiffuser like this.
  24. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Sure but thats better than fraud in their eyes

25. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015