Tracking Your Ferrari is a MUST!! | FerrariChat

Tracking Your Ferrari is a MUST!!

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by klointheridge, May 7, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. klointheridge

klointheridge Karting

Jun 5, 2017
    Westchester Cty, NY
    Full Name:
    Kevin Long
    I’m fresh of a FCA HPDE event at Watkins Glen. I can’t tell you how amazing it was...even better than I could have imagined. And Bob and the entire event he planned through the Empire FCA was top notch.

We need more Ferrari owners to get to these events so we can keep them going. I felt confident for both days bc the instruction was top notch and our cars WERE MEANT FOR THIS.

I had some fears going into this but can unequivocally say...track your car. Try it. It is so much fun. You can push as much or as little as you want and it’s all just fun.

Please. I’m a novice. I drove a F430 Spider too down and all and it was a blast. Let’s figure out how we can get more Ferrari owners to these events. You won’t regret it!

Any ideas on how to get attendance up? What’re we afraid of? *Crashing isn’t a valid answer...the instructors are too good for that.

Ky1e likes this.
  2. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    +1...too many people wax these cars.

one4torque likes this.
  3. Gphantom

Gphantom Rookie

May 8, 2018
    Full Name:
    Gabriel s
    i'm down! count me in

klointheridge likes this.
  4. wiley355

wiley355 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 10, 2010
    Vancouver, WA
    Full Name:
    Wiley
  5. mfaisal

mfaisal Rookie

Mar 19, 2017
    Dubai
    Full Name:
    Mohamed Faisal
    I haven't tracked mine yet, but I agree and will track it soon!

6. hezgon

hezgon Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2006
    Ft Pierce, FL
    Full Name:
    Stan
    It's a must, did the 355 a few times and move to a 360 Challenge. So much fun.

7. rlips

rlips Formula Junior

Jul 29, 2011
    New Jersey, USA
    Glad to hear you had a great time, I was an instructor for that event (Was driving a black 458 Challenge car) and we had additional instructors available and ready to teach, but attendance was lower than expected....

More of you need to come out and learn, it's the most fun you will ever have!

Cheers,

Ron

8. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    I drove my Cali T HS at the Ferrari Challenge in March and it was a blast. I had a 991tts prior to this that I tracked frequently but this was my first time with the Ferrari. I am getting a new 488 Spider today and will most likely take it to one of the HPDEs at COTA in the fall when it's cooler.

Twosherpaz and klointheridge like this.
  9. Ky1e

Ky1e Formula 3

Mar 4, 2011
    FL
    Right on! It's some of the most fun you can legally have. We buy these cars to have fun-- great to see people enjoying what the car is made for.

10. klointheridge

klointheridge Karting

Jun 5, 2017
    Westchester Cty, NY
    Full Name:
    Kevin Long
    Love that car. Sounded great flying around the track.

Yeah...while it was great for me to not have a ton of traffic, I want to encourage as many people to get these cars on the track and have some fun with them. It’s good, safe and RIDICULOUSLY FUN!

We are in danger of losing these events bc of minimal attendance. Let’s not let that happen!

11. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Good for you!

We had a 80+ y/o guy racing with our group in SCCA. He drove his mirrors staying out of the fast car's way. We all respected him and hoped that when we are 80 we can still go racing. One weekend where we race saturday and sunday this gentleman raced on Saturday but did not wake up to race on Sunday. His last day was spent racing! We should all be so lucky...

12. klointheridge

klointheridge Karting

Jun 5, 2017
    Westchester Cty, NY
    Full Name:
    Kevin Long
    My 77 year old Dad is going to get his chance to finally drive the Glen (in my rarri!) in the FCA September annual meet. I’m so excited for him. He last went there for F1 races in the 60’s.

13. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Excellent! I raced the glenn for the 1st time last year. I love that track. I have raced 22 tracks so far and WGI is in my top 3. WGI is a real treat.

14. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
  15. Doc V.

Doc V. Karting

Aug 29, 2012
    The ESR's next track event will be held at Lime Rock Park on 3-4 (Fri.-Sat.) August 2018. Registration information can be found here:
    http://empirestateregion.com/events/lime-rock-park-track-event-4/.

And the ESR will host the 2018 Ferrari Club of America's International Meet at Watkins Glen/Corning, NY, on 15-20 (Sat.-Thurs.) September. Four track days--17-20 September--are available at the Glen. Information about all of the International Meet's activities can be found here: https://www.fca2018.org/index.cfm.

The ESR of the FCA is a Level 2 Motorsports Safety Foundation organization, and the ESR's HPDE organizers and instructors are committed to providing drivers with exceptional and safe high performance driver education track events.

16. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Oh man...ESR fell for MSF. Been at this game for decades. We will suffer the consequences of their good intentions.

17. klointheridge

klointheridge Karting

Jun 5, 2017
    Westchester Cty, NY
    Full Name:
    Kevin Long
  18. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
  19. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Previous shot leaning into turn 5. This one standing on the brakes into the turn 7 hairpin.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

A lap or two later, boiled the brake fluid and the pedal went right to the floor in this same spot.

To heck with coffee. Nothing wakes you up quite like having that happen. But that’s why all the instructors will quiz you on what you would do, where you would go, etc. Be aware, be prepared, and don’t panic.

(The guys at the turn 7 flag station called it a great save. )

Ryan..., crinoid, Ky1e and 1 other person like this.
  20. klointheridge

klointheridge Karting

Jun 5, 2017
    Westchester Cty, NY
    Full Name:
    Kevin Long
    That’ll definitely wake you up!

21. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    I rub mine with a diaper

22. speedsport

speedsport Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2013
    IL/WI
    Full Name:
    Michael
    If you think tracking your street car is fun, i suggest trying a real race car! We need more people buying dedicated race cars too!

23. Ky1e

Ky1e Formula 3

Mar 4, 2011
    FL

Yup, same would happen to me in my 458 at Sebring turn 7, but even more so at Sebring turn 10. Good news is it means you are pushing it! Bad news is the street Ferrari's dont have enough brake cooling ducts for extreme track use a tracks that require very hard braking.

24. klointheridge

klointheridge Karting

Jun 5, 2017
    Westchester Cty, NY
    Full Name:
    Kevin Long
    I’d love to try that!

25. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Yeah, that’s next. But that means buying a truck and a trailer as well.

So far all of my cars are driven to the track, on the track, then home. Admittedly, that means they’re a compromise on both track and street, but for now I’m living with it.