How did NASCAR 'ruin' motorcycle racing? | FerrariChat

How did NASCAR 'ruin' motorcycle racing?

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by stever, May 13, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. stever

stever F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 18, 2006
    West. Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Steve R
    I have long ago stopped following M'cycle road racing, so don't have an idea what they did....can anybody help explain?

2. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    They applied nascar logic to it- assumed fans were lowest common denominator, wanted to see parity not trick factory specials which resulted in rules packages that alienated the manufacturers, manufactures pulled support (i.e. $$$$), changed race procedures to mirror NASCAR (full course cautions with pace car, not red flags-miracle they didn't kill a rider), treated the Daytona 200 like the only race that mattered, pissed off all the other track owners, screwed up tv coverage, drove away existing motorcycle media but couldn't attract new media outlets.

shall I continue?

rdefabri likes this.
  3. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    btw it's early days but MotoAmerica seems to be doing a lot of things right, it's fun to watch again. I was a big AMA road racing fan from early 90s until mid 2000s, it's taken a decade but it's getting good again.

much like Indy and sports cars...

4. stever

stever F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 18, 2006
    West. Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Steve R
    Thanks! Hard to figure such seeming stupidity. Didn't know about MotoAmerica, either.

5. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Remembering back to when NASCAR took over the AMA, motorcycle racing fan boy Dave Despain
    had Roger Edmundson on "Wind Tunnel" one night to explain the whole thing as it was breaking
    wide open.

This would be the same Roger Edmundson whom the NASCAR heirarchy put in charge of GrandAm
    racing and who famously said, "We don't care about 'traditional' sports car fans" and "We want to
    make the cars irrelevant" (direct quotes not taken out of context) and who was now put in charge
    of ruining (running) motorcycle racing in the U.S.

Despain, in his usual huckster style, guffawed at all of Edmundson's claims of reorganizing the AMA
    into NASCAR's vision of what motorcycle racing should be while AMA insiders and participants clearly
    reacted with raised eyebrows. Despain would literally cut off anyone in the sport who had a insider
    view of what was happening and he was losing what little credibility he had left with his motorcycle
    racing pals.

Admittedly, I don't follow motorcycle racing all that closely but the resulting fall out as Chas states
    was that the big money professional factory teams started pulling out to the point where there were
    no factory teams remaining and the resulting effect was media and sponsor attentions went
    elsewhere. Essentially, the money dried up.

As has been warned time and again over the years, this is exactly why U.S. racing cannot be
    controlled by a virtual monopoly as is NASCAR/ISC's intention. NASCAR failed at running the AMA
    and virtually put the body out of business. NASCAR's failed GrandAm experiment set U.S. sports
    car racing back nearly twenty years.

And, as we are now witnessing, NASCAR with its constant rules changes, ridiculous "Chase" and
    in-race nonsense designed to control and manipulate results isn't going down well with long time
    fans as we're now seeing venues that used to packed to the rafters are now virtual ghost towns.

What NASCAR did to the AMA should serve as a perfect example of why NASCAR's aims
    should be stopped.

BHW

rdefabri likes this.
  6. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

there is even a more simple thought....they looked to buy up all the racing they could...ruin it in order to preserve the market share they cared about.

7. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    well they managed to help ruin IndyCar and didn't even have to buy that, just find a sucker named Tony....

;)

rdefabri likes this.
  8. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    The motorcycle racing got so bad that as of 2-3 years ago tracks were actively soliciting media to come to their events and cover them.

rdefabri and GuyIncognito like this.
  9. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
  10. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    The basis for which NASCAR is/was buying up as many racing series as possible was so those dollars
    would flow into NASCAR, no doubt about that. That the AMA thought that NASCAR would open their
    checkbook and promote the series was wrongheaded. The Frances didn't become billionaires by
    writing a lot of checks.

NASCAR recruiting media to attend their events was nothing new. At the height of the GrandAm/ALMS
    divide, in the lead up to one of their sham 24 Hours event, the good folks deep in the fake wood panel
    walled offices in Daytonner noticed that they had not gotten a single request for media credentials from
    any foreign outlets.

I was immediately notified by one of my photo colleagues in the U.K. that European media members were
    being courted by D.I.S. which was offering airfare, hotel, rental car and other expenses if they'd come
    over and cover the event.

Now, given the treatment of media at D.I.S. events (enough stories to fill volumes of books) this was
    seen as not only desperate but rather ballsy. IIRC, three foreign media members took D.I.S. up on
    the deal whereas by contrast, the ALMS at Sebring was heavily attended by foreign media from
    around the world which did not need to be cajoled into coming.

Interesting article. That name, Roger Edmundson, pops up again. Since Edmundson was the
    France's henchman heading up their various dalliances, a lot may be placed at his feet. Wonder
    what he's doing these days? He's definitely not mentioning "Man on the street fans", "We don't care
    about 'traditional' sports car fans" and "We want to make the cars irrelevant" any more. Sounds
    as though he made himself equally welcome in motorcycle racing.

Good riddance.

BHW

rdefabri likes this.
  11. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Hey - you reap what you sow. I always hated the spec car concept, and for some reason these morons seem to think that's what people want.

Killed my beloved CART, and I called it back in the day with the NHRA.

I've been waxing nostalgic watching onboard videos of classic F1, and it's clear that the unique nature of the cars is what has always drawn me to the sport.

dmundy likes this.
  12. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    Often wrong but never uncertain seems to describe them fairly well.
    Not invented here coupled with blinders and arrogance and they may be about to get a long overdue reality check.

GuyIncognito likes this.
  13. Turbopanzer

Turbopanzer F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Why? You summed up the entire reason why motorsports is in the crapper.You can't top perfection in that paragraph

GuyIncognito likes this.
  14. dmundy

dmundy Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 11, 2010
    Unspecified
    Full Name:
    Arthur Dent
    CART died from its own hubris. The spec car phase was just a death rattle. The actual dying started long before that. Needs a different thread. Sorry I’ve had a glass or two. Carry on...