F1 race in downtown Miami being discussed for 2019. | Page 4 | FerrariChat

F1 race in downtown Miami being discussed for 2019.

Discussion in 'F1' started by 11506apollo, May 2, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vinuneuro

vinuneuro F1 Rookie

May 6, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Vig
    Awesome. Hope the layout is one that is good for racing and not another Valencia.

2. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    ^^^^^^There ya go Andreas.................DONE!!!!

3. trumpet77

trumpet77 Formula 3

Jun 13, 2011
    Great Neck, NY
    Full Name:
    Robert Nixon
    wow, I wasn't sure the city would vote for it!

4. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    It was a unanimous decision. Now the city can move forward in the process.

trumpet77 likes this.
  5. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    To pass in F1 today, you need a long straight followed by a hairpin or similarly hard-braking corner. If they use the proposed layout that crosses the Port bridge, they will have two of those zones, which is twice that of most other modern circuits.

And it's a good thing they built the second Port access route off of the MacArthur Causeway a few years ago; without that it would have been impossible to use the original Port bridge for the circuit.

6. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Yyyyeeeeeeeeeehaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. itschris

itschris Formula 3

Sep 15, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Hope they give the teams bulletproof vests. Hopefully they create safe zones for the teams.

8. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    What does this mean??

blackbolt22 likes this.
  9. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Just more of the uneducated anti Miami drivel.

I feel totally safe every time I'm in Miami and I'm considering it as a place for retirement. It's beautiful, diverse, culturally rich and has direct flights to South America and Europe.

Phil~, blackbolt22 and Ira Schwartz like this.
  10. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    Thanks, but I would rather have itschris explain exactly what he meant.

11. Hollywood-GP

Hollywood-GP Karting

Jun 15, 2015
    I think the Miami race is great idea, but will it actually happen? some of the infrastructure requirements for an F1 race will mean that someone will have to purchase property and build the necessary structure. multiple property owners and business owners now have something at stake, and everyone has to agree if you want to pull something like this off

12. Kiwi Nick

Kiwi Nick Formula 3

Jun 13, 2014
    Durango, CO
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    They should run it around the golf course on Fisher Island.

13. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I feel quite safe in downtown Miami during the day; I have often gone down there by train to eat at the Bayside Marketplace. Now there are other areas in greater Miami where I wouldn't go if you paid me, and I suppose that even downtown, or parts of it, may be scary at night. Of course, if you happen to be driving a white Testarossa, they might think that you're Crockett and Tubbs.....

14. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    There are people on IG posting as if Miami is a done deal for 9 years. It will be interesting to see if it's true.

15. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    yep, Mayor of Miami said that hosting an F1 race is like hosting the Super Bowl every year for the next 10 years.

crinoid likes this.
  16. I meant for the powers that be to even make it happen. ;)

17. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    Saw an image of the track today.

One has to agree with Hamilton (I don’t care if you don’t like him) the track layout is crap to say the least.

Take his suggestion and get the drivers involved in designing it.

18. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    That would be Liberty at this point and their goal is to expand F1 in the US. So if Miami wants it, they'll have it. Yeah!

9 years? Awesome.

19. itschris

itschris Formula 3

Sep 15, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Just more of the uneducated anti Miami drivel.

I feel totally safe every time I'm in Miami and I'm considering it as a place for retirement. It's beautiful, diverse, culturally rich and has direct flights to South America and Europe.

Thanks, but I would rather have itschris explain exactly what he meant.

Not sure why you would call me uneducated, but I do have a very different opinion of Miami than you. To explain from my perspective as a Floridan living here for 45 years since I was 3. I've certainly been there and go there enough on business and unfortunately to catch cruises and visit friends to see that Miami has very much devolved from what it was even 20 years ago. So I see Miami from both a business and visitor perspective. Culturally, it's hard to recognize as an American city so as a US GP, it's not really a typical representation of the greater US. There certainly is glitz and glamour and a lot of beautiful people and places to be found, but in between those hot spots are run down and often times very dangerous parts of town. A horribly decaying and inefficient infrastructure makes getting around impossible and confusing at best and that is part of the danger. Visitors often time get easily lost and find themselves in the wrong parts of town. A few blocks here or there and you can find yourself in a dangerous place. And, holding all that aside, I honestly just don't find it to be a friendly or inviting city. I've had many friends and business associates leave South Florida in the past several years due to the ever-present crime, inability to get anywhere, and overall rude behavior of people. I've experienced all three myself... so I'm just not a fan.

11506apollo likes this.
  20. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Ok, sorry for the "uneducated", you clearly seem to know the city. Which to me makes your opinion all the more puzzling, but I guess we agree to disagree on that point.

To me Miami looks like a total dream and as I said, I might retire there one day. The fact that it doesn't look like a typical US city I consider a big plus. As for the crime rate, well I live in Chicago, so that's nothing new to me. We have bad neighborhoods too where you just don't go. Doesn't mean that the other parts aren't beautiful.

blackbolt22 likes this.
  21. itschris

itschris Formula 3

Sep 15, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    No worries. I appreciate the apology. I guess compared to Chicago, Miami is a dream... the weather alone is enough to make the call. The crime in Chicago is pretty outrageous... easily in the top 5 worst for big cities. I had a good friend get punched in the face by some teenager in broad daylight during some crazy mob scene on the Mag Mile corridor. With Miami, for me... I guess it's just a culture thing along with the other problems I've always encountered there.

blackbolt22 likes this.
  22. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Crime rate in Chicago is nasty. In fact our building was hit by a drive-by shooting just this year. It happens. Weatherwise I'd say the golden solution is the summer in Chicago and the winter in Miami. Wouldn't want to be in FL during the summer. Which is why I'm delighted to see the GP in October. It's for the same reason I'm not interested in the French GP, which will be scorching hot.

23. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Summer is our bad weather

24. tatcat

tatcat F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2001