Possible Thread Topic: What I Learned from Crashing my Ferrari | FerrariChat

Possible Thread Topic: What I Learned from Crashing my Ferrari

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Jacob Potts, May 15, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jacob Potts

Jacob Potts Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2008
    Pueblo, CO
    Full Name:
    Jacob Potts
    None of us is perfect. We do not live in a perfect universe. We sometimes crash our cars, sometimes we even (cringe, wince) crash our Ferraris.

Have we learned anything from crashing our Ferraris? Have we gained any insight, become better people?

Even Road & Track magazine is talking about a subset of this question. What are your experiences?

BaronM69 and paulchua like this.
  2. 4574

4574 Karting

Jan 30, 2017
    West Palm Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Keith
    I would rather read about it than experience it. Interesting topic.

3. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Makes me shudder to think. Er Indoors once put an Aston in a ditch when I let her try it, she managed about a hundred yards before it happened. Made her a better driver afterwards though!

4. rommel88

rommel88 Rookie

Jan 11, 2012
    Stupid article, seriously. They say "stay in the car" after the accident which, in my opinion is the worst advice you can give. A stalled car in the racetrack is an obstacle and your chances of getting hit second or even third time are pretty high. You should get out of the car and lave the racetrack ASAP

5. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    That depends, sometimes I’d rather have a crash structure around me rather than be just meat and bones wandering about for them to play skittles with...

6. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    This depends on whether the event is a real race, or whether the event is simply high performance driving.

In a real race, cars may not need to slow down after you have an accident,
    In HPDE, cars do have to and will slow down to avoid you.
    Big difference.

7. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    The only reason I sold my F40 was it had become too valuable for me to enjoy.

When I bought it,... I drove it every weekend. Took it to restaurants. Took it to Home Depot. Even took it to work once or twice.

But as prices rose,... the thought of crashing it, or worse being run into by someone texting, took the enjoyment out of driving it for me.

At the end of the day it's only a car,... but I would have been devastated to crash it.

8. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I learned its expensive so now I drive like a little old lady

daytona355 likes this.
  9. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    I've learned not to turn of cst anymore

eyeman1234 and daytona355 like this.
  10. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

I'm lucky to have survived - as a result, I adopted a geriatric driving style. I love fast cars, just don't drive fast any longer.

anunakki likes this.
  11. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Nah, live fast, die young, hope it didn’t hurt!

12. rommel88

rommel88 Rookie

Jan 11, 2012
    You are like Hugh Hefner - I can`t #@$%k but I have a house full of hot girls :D :D :D

13. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    I’ll bet Hugh had a lot of fun watching those hot girls doing their thing together though.... wouldn’t knock it. My favourites were Holly Madison and Sarah ‘something’, if I wasn’t on oxygen before, I’d have been on it afterwards I’m certain

14. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    My first car accident was in a corvette, on a drizzly night. I was being stupid, showing off to my friend a bit, hit the brakes too hard and spun into a guardrail.
    I learned I don’t like to drive in wet weather and certainly don’t do it aggressively.

15. GameMaker

GameMaker Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2014
    WA State
    My Z06 is my rain car ;) My first real screwup was in a live rear axle mustang cobra though.

I saw a 458 get crashed into at an FCA event a couple of weeks ago though.