Mondial Great American Road Trip! | FerrariChat

Mondial Great American Road Trip!

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by JustinD, Mar 2, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JustinD

JustinD Rookie

Jul 15, 2012
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    Justin Dillon
    So after such a great response in the "Mondial's for Sale" regarding information about my purchase plans for a Mondial, I decided to start this thread to keep everyone updated on my search and eventual purchase. In addition to updates I will be posting Questions about potential modifications and upgrades.

Currently searching for a Red with Tan but will also consider Blue with Tan or Red and White with Tan or Red, Mondial 8, QV or 3.2 Coupe (ONLY) US or Euro LHD today. I also contacted Thule about a roof rack, and am hoping for a response. If anyone on the forum knows of a Roof Rack for or that can used with the Mondial please let me know.

Look forward to hearing what everyone has to say about my crazy adventure.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using FerrariChat.com mobile app

paulchua likes this.
  2. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    Neat! looking forward to your posts! good hunting!

Roof racks from ordinary Euro cars from the 80ties will fit for sure. 3 years ago I used an old roof rack from my oldman's VW from '85, when buying some shelves and had no commuter available that day.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

JustinD likes this.
  3. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Good luck. They are great cars. I have a cab and have used it for extensive travel. Put luggage in back seat, trunk and in front. Bonus if you are camping in cold weather. The trunk will warm your sleeping bag

gsfent likes this.
  4. Mechanical Dad

Mechanical Dad Formula Junior

Aug 30, 2016
    East Aurora NY
    Full Name:
    Josh
    I have some overnight trips in the works for my 8 this year already, so I'll be looking forward to your story as it unfolds!

Sent from my SM-G930V using FerrariChat.com mobile app

JustinD likes this.
  5. JustinD

JustinD Rookie

Jul 15, 2012
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    Justin Dillon
    That is awesome and great to know! I contacted Thule and they said nothing they had wold fit.

6. JustinD

JustinD Rookie

Jul 15, 2012
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    Justin Dillon
    So the quest continues, I am finding quite a few Cabriolets but very few coupes in the U.S. I am about to expand my search to Europe. I am also starting to considering Mondi T's

7. JustinD

JustinD Rookie

Jul 15, 2012
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    Justin Dillon
    Oh an additional note our friends have decided to join the adventure in a Porsche 911 So their hunt has begun as well... I will keep you all post.

Mechanical Dad likes this.
  8. Mechanical Dad

Aug 30, 2016
    East Aurora NY
    Full Name:
    Josh
  9. sidtx

sidtx F1 Rookie
    Owner

Feb 9, 2014
    Frisco, Tx
    Full Name:
    Sid

After 1982, there were very few coupes imported into North America.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

paulchua likes this.
  10. SaratogaCA

SaratogaCA Formula Junior

Sep 11, 2016
    Saratoga, CA
    Full Name:
    Sam T.
    PV Dirk likes this.
  11. JustinD

JustinD Rookie

Jul 15, 2012
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    Justin Dillon
    Working on the itenarary, but will for sure let you know. It would be great to have you join the adventure.

12. JustinD

JustinD Rookie

Jul 15, 2012
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    Justin Dillon
  13. JustinD

JustinD Rookie

Jul 15, 2012
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    Justin Dillon
    Thanks, I have resolved myself to a Mondi 8 which is fine I would prefer a QV. The biggest thing is it has to be a coupe. So it really comes down to which ever I get luck in finding it could end up being a T but pretty sure it will be an 8.

14. sidtx

sidtx F1 Rookie
    Owner

Feb 9, 2014
    Frisco, Tx
    Full Name:
    Sid

Personally, I like the look of the coupe over the cabriolet. I think the body line curve is more accentuated.

I also like the 2-tone design of the 8 and the QV.

As for which model I'd prefer-- They are all great cars, but the 8, QV and 3.2 are easier to maintain than the t. You can change timing belts without dropping the engine. And, the t has additional computers and automation that I would probably have trouble working on.

When I started my search, I was like you -- it was to be a coupe. Took me a while to fine just the right one. I was more interested in mechanical quality than cosmetics. Ended up purchasing an 85 QV with 64K miles -- well documented miles with a history of at least 2-3K miles per year of constant usage. I've owner her for over 3 years now, and it's been great. Only 1 major failure -- the alternator died (that cost me $110 for a rebuild at a local alternator/generator rebuild shop).

Good luck on your search!

Sid

15. JustinD

JustinD Rookie

Jul 15, 2012
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    Justin Dillon
    That is awesome, I am.not affraid of high milage as I am not looking for future resale. I drive my cars, I believe Enzo built cars to drive and pushed not looked at and let sit longing to run fast.

16. decardona

decardona Formula 3

Apr 23, 2005
    PA
    Full Name:
    Dennis Cardona
    When I purchase my Mondial, my wife and I drove it home from Florida to Pennsylvania. It was a flawless drive. The car was brilliant. It was a great way to familiarize myself with the car. It's been love ever since. And ours is a 3.2 coupe.

JustinD and Mechanical Dad like this.
  17. Mechanical Dad

Aug 30, 2016
    East Aurora NY
    Full Name:
    Josh
    Another piece of advice is pay really close attention to the ads and to the seller if you find something .I managed to find my car from a Porsche guy who knew very little about Ferraris and had the mileage advertised as 91,000 Miles when in reality it was 91,000 kilometers. so few people are even interested in the car because of the way the ad was written and I did some research and was able to get it at a really good price versus how it was listed. so they are out there you just have to be pretty thorough. and so far it's lived up to everything that I hoped that it would and I can't wait for the snow to melt here so I can get it back out on the road again

JustinD likes this.
  18. JustinD

JustinD Rookie

Jul 15, 2012
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    Justin Dillon
    Haven't updated in a while, the hunt is still on, I guess I am a little more picky then I thought. I did find a roof rack that would fit the car (I know a little car before the horse... No pun... Yes pun intended). And started Fabrication on a luggage basket for it. It seems a lot of Mondi Coupes were not as cared for as there topless siblings, but still not affraid of mechanical it is the electrical Gremlins I truly fear. I have decided on rough trip plan and will be finalizing the map and will post a screen capture of it when it is a little more complete. The trouble is finding and integrating Route 66 data as well as Lincoln Hwy data.

paulchua likes this.
  19. Mechanical Dad

Aug 30, 2016
    East Aurora NY
    Full Name:
    Josh
    Mine was a bit of a neglected wreck but there's great experienced advice on here for any problem you may have. The research is where the rubber meets the road. I found tons of books and articles that really helped.

20. JustinD

JustinD Rookie

Jul 15, 2012
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    Justin Dillon
    I am looking at T Coupe that needs a belt job the passenger side window doesn't work nor does the sunroof. Let's see how it goes

21. JustinD

JustinD Rookie

Jul 15, 2012
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    Justin Dillon
    Please share... I love books and articles anything that help guide me.

22. JustinD

JustinD Rookie

Jul 15, 2012
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    Justin Dillon
    I am back! I had some personal family issues that took a while to address and straighten out, but I am back and still looking for road trip car. I have left Florida and returned to Pittsburgh, PA. Anyone here local to PA and would like to meet up and help on my search!

Sent from my SM-G975U using FerrariChat.com mobile app

23. JustinD

JustinD Rookie

Jul 15, 2012
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    Justin Dillon
    You wouldnt happen to have pictures of the rack on your mondi? I would love to see how it fits.
    Sent from my SM-G975U using FerrariChat.com mobile app

24. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
  25. JustinD

JustinD Rookie

Jul 15, 2012
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Full Name: