P-51 Engine Out, Off-Airport Landing | FerrariChat

P-51 Engine Out, Off-Airport Landing

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by SamuliS, May 22, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SamuliS

SamuliS Formula Junior

Aug 23, 2008
    Finland, Helsinki
    Full Name:
    Samuli S
    Great interview. Pilot openly discus about mistakes he made, why he did what he did and explains things that go through your mind on such situation.

paulyp, Bisonte and SAT4RE like this.
  2. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    That was a really cool video. Loved the self-critique.

Very thankful that the pilot came out fine, and that the Mustang is flying again.

But, did I miss it? Did they ever give out any info as to what actually caused the engine stoppage?

3. Bisonte

Bisonte F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 27, 2007
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Fascinating.

Towards the end of the interview the pilot said they still didn't know the cause of the engine trouble, and it was still under investigation.

David_S likes this.
  4. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    I like the fact that the interviewer is a Navion pilot - Navion was built post-war as a civilianized, mustang inspired plane, later purchased by the military.

Great flying, great interview!

5. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I had to fly an L-17 from an outlying field in Florida to a field equipped with a big hangar when a hurricane was approaching. I lied and told the airport manager that I had been checked out in one and flew it just fine to the bigger field but I got caught when I couldn't find the starter to crank it up and misused the braking system when I was taxiing in. It is the easiest and nicest flying airplane ever. I had been flying PT-13's and I also had to ferry a PT-13 crop duster. No problem until the landing. The lower wing stall strips had been removed and that thing floated forever and the landing wasn't very pretty. Didn't get chewed out for that one, though.