New Maserati Alfieri | Page 11 | FerrariChat

New Maserati Alfieri

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by cosmicdingo, Mar 3, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Foncool

Foncool Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2011
    Maserati has bigger problems than its product, which is actually quite good and getting better. The biggest problem is the influx of Chrysler personnel at key senior level positions. These are the same people with the same mentality that bankrupted Chrysler. Here’s all you need to about them, Daimler Benz was willing to take a 30 billion dollar loss to shed themselves of Chrysler. And that was just on the buy sale, add in all the money they pumped into chrysler during its years of ownership and the numbers are staggering. Btw yes the Alfieri is coming.

Texas Forever, F1tommy and rob lay like this.
  2. Merak1974

Merak1974 Formula 3

Aug 31, 2009
    Oslo, Norway
    Full Name:
    Gabriel R.G. Benito
    Why Lotus numbers? Would not F-type or Cayman numbers be more likely? That is, 3000-4000 per year, in the USA....

3. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    This is complicated to answer but basically it depends on what they intend to build. I'm not sure a smaller GT that's not significantly smaller and lighter than the GranTurismo makes any sense unless it's a lot less money. The F-Type is a GT or an high horsepower GT with the R-type version and not a pure sports car. Can they compete with Jaguar in that segment? The Cayman is more like it in my opinion. Make it exquisitely beautiful in design, just as sporty and lightweight. If they can do all of that and keep the price down they might have a hit on their hands but they still need a good service dealership here. That's a very tall order to meet and compete with all of those requirements and if one or two of them end up being "less than" then sales will equal Lotus instead.

4. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    Their aim, I believe, is to compete against the cheaper F Types and 911s. Pretty much the 75-100k price point. The Alfieri concept looked beautiful and from looks alone I'd rather have that than the GranTurismo. I don't think they plan on a V8 for the Alfieri though. At this point I don't even know if it exists anymore. The car was supposed to be a 2018 model...so much for that.

5. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I heard that it might become the platform to showcase new electric technologies for Maserati & Alfa. I think developing and successfully marketing a nice looking lighter weight and less expensive sports coupe with a conventional drivetrain should be enough for Maserati. They don't have resources or experience of VW group. I can easily imagine yet another cambiocorsa debacle. Perhaps the regulations looming is forcing them into this? That won't be pretty IMHO.

6. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    even if they fail this time around I think they should try, Ferrari should be doing all electric too. it is the future and the later they get started the more they will be behind.

7. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    I hope they make it!!

I think everyone is jumping the gun on Electric. Until they fix the battery production issues it won't save the environment thus making the whole concept wrong. Also they have to supply electric power to the grid for the cars. We have a lot of coal and nuclear power plants in N.A. wich leave a lot of unwanted waste. Windmills and solar panels also cost a lot to produce and their production should be counted into the pollution equation.

Hybrid is the only practical way at this point.

Try driving your Tesla non stop from Texas to Seattle really fast and tell me how it goes. You will be on a very tight route following the limited amount of recharging stations and you still might get stranded if you punch it to many times :)

8. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Especially performance electric cars like Tesla P100, Porsche Mission E, Maserati, or Ferrari it isn't about being green. It is because they are great performing cars. We didn't even buy the 90D because it is "green", it is the quickest car in family and it is the best city commuter.

Why are you trying to argue a mission for the Tesla that it isn't built for? Do you argue Ferraris can't take a family of 6 to soccer games? I think eventually it will advance to a point it will be good XC car, but in meantime it just has to be the quickest car on the street and one you never have to stop in town.

9. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Those are all very good points. But for Ferrari and Maserati I think hybrid is and will remain to be the best option. I think Ferrari should make a supercar with a small V12 motor around 2.0 liters and several electric motors to be the next Ferrari supercar. The reason if for nothing else is the wonderful noise it would make. I like the off line performance of the Tesla's a lot, but they are to heavy and do not sound very good :)

10. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Porsche Misson E going for a less quick car, but will have better handling. That will be interesting. Not sure why they can't have best performing acceleration and handling though.

11. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    I heard that and it might be better if they do it right, but the sound is what I would miss. On the new Maserati's and Ferrari's the gas motor should act as a recharger allowing for less batteries and add the soundtrack we all want from Italian cars. I think for the Maserati luxury vehicles it might not matter as much but the sports sedans and coupe's/Spyder's need some Italian noise coming from the motor.

12. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I agree in part as our GT3 with Sharkwerks is so much fun with the sound. That will be tough to overcome cars like the Tesla Roadster and Mission E (well stock 911's pretty quiet :)) as that target market likes noise. As discussed in other threads most of the BMW and Mercedes market has been driving cars for years where manufacturer has worked hard to sound proof from the ICE. :eek:

13. gtjoey

gtjoey Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2014
    Ive bought five cars since the debut!
    I love it, but I will be dead soon,its been 3 or 4 years?
    ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
    Still love the look though, oh well back to the McLaren 720s in the snow!
    GTJOEY1314

14. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Easy peasy ... remember those gadgets from 10-15 years ago that plugged in your cigarette lighter and sent a Ferrari V12 sound to your FM radio timed to your cars actual ignition?

It's been updated!
    http://www.soundracer.se/?p=98

I bet they could do wonders now if they really worked at it using a killer sound system.
    Mazda is reviving it's rotary to use in a hybrid because it's better suited than a small piston engine.
    https://www.thesun.co.uk/motors/4799766/mazda-to-revive-rotary-engine-in-its-2019-electric-car-to-give-you-a-few-extra-miles-if-your-battery-runs-out/

Add a good enough sound simulation system and nobody will care what's actually under the hood! :D

Sacrilege I know ... :eek:

15. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Good to see this car is still coming. The press conference at Balocco showed the car again and they gave details on the electric motor. Does anyone have the other engine options that will be available. They talked about the electric motor but what are the other IC options??

16. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    I found this:

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/meet-the-maserati-alfieri-italian-luxury-electrified/

"In addition to the full-electric models, Maserati will also offer plug-in hybrid versions of the Alfieri as well as the Quattroporte, Levante and Ghibli -- all of which will see redesigns by 2022. Before the Alfieri launch, the automaker is also planning to slot an all-new unnamed mid-size SUV to the lineup below the Levante as part of Fiat Chrysler Automobile's newly outlined five-year plan."

17. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I’ve always liked the design, now I like even better that it is electric.

18. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    I think it should be available in 2021 model year. That should work out nicely since Tesla will be in liquidation by then :)

19. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    doh :D

20. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    It's a cool car but if its electric, no thanks.

wbaeumer and Bundy like this.
  21. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    you will learn some day Grasshoper. ;)

22. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I love technology but no fan of electric cars. Having just picked up a 2013 GT, the sound is almost as good as my 355 - this video certainly is no electric car ;)

23. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    For Maserati the way to go is IC with electric motors. That way you get the speed and the sound. You also need much smaller batteries and a smaller IC motor, WICH WILL HELP SAVE THE PLANET. Tesla and other current full electric cars with their big batteries are not saving the planet due to battery production pollution.

24. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
  25. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Electric? Hybrid? I'm out. (Heck, I won't even do turbo)

I'm going older on sports cars, not younger anyways.

wbaeumer and Dave rocks like this.