ESR/FCA Track Event at Lime Rock Park | FerrariChat

ESR/FCA Track Event at Lime Rock Park

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by Doc V., Jun 5, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Doc V.

Doc V. Karting

Aug 29, 2012
    On 3-4 August 2018, the Empire State Region of the Ferrari Club of America will host a track event at Lime Rock Park. No prior track driving experience is needed, and run groups will be available for drivers of all skill levels. Instructors will be provided. Convertibles with built-in roll bars are accepted.

ALL MARQUES ARE WELCOME.

More information and registration material can be found here: http://empirestateregion.com/events/lime-rock-park-track-event-4/

2. klointheridge

klointheridge Karting

Jun 5, 2017
    Westchester Cty, NY
    Full Name:
    Kevin Long
    I so want to go to this, but getting back from a 10 day trip aug 2...I think it’d be too much.

I encourage every local Ferrari owner to go to this if possible. It’s so fun driving your car on the track without worrying about cops!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

3. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Go with scda, hod, nasa. All run much superior events and many dates to choose from. Look thuem up at www.motorsportsreg.com. I instruct for all those clubs. Hope to see you there!

4. Formula Uno

Formula Uno F1 Veteran

Oct 8, 2008
    New York City
    Doc, how much driving/Laps do you get to do?

I have a 308...looks like it's not allowed;(

5. Doc V.

Doc V. Karting

Aug 29, 2012
    Your 308 (whether it's GTB or GTS), Formula Uno, is certainly allowed at FCA track events. If your 308 is a GTS, it satifies the FCA's standards for factory roll over protection since the 308 GTS has "targa" style roof.

Anticipate five twenty-five minute sessions each day of the event. Each lap of Lime Rock Park will cover 1.53 miles; the number of laps that a driver gets in during a session depends on the speed at which the driver operates the car and on track conditions (such as traffic, rain, etc.). Typically, drivers have a bit more track time--beyond the five twenty-five minute sessions--on the second day of an event because run groups are combined as some people pack up early and head for home.

Carefully recruited, natioally certified HPDE instructors are available for drives of all skill levels. They are committed to the FCA's prime directive for all of the club's HPDE events: safe driver development..

Formula Uno likes this.
  6. wrs7

wrs7 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    #6 wrs7, Jun 27, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2018

I must respectfully disagree. The FCA track events are a secret bargin and great events. I've attached a little spread sheet comparing what you'd pay and how much time you'd spend on the track if you signed up for the next SCDA vs. FCA Lime Rock Park Event:

6/27/18 6/28/18 SCDA 8/3/18 8/4/18 FCA
    Total Total
    track hours 1-6 pm (5h) 9-5 (8h) 13h 9-5 (8h) 9-5 (8h) 16h
    total minutes 300m 480m 680m 480m 480m 960m
    number run groups 3 5 3 3
    total track time/driver 100m 96m 196m 160m 160m 320m
    difference +124min with FCA

Now let's look at cost:
    regular w/discount members non-FCA
    Registration Fee $719 $699 $775 $860
    $/min $3.67 $3.57 $2.42 $2.69
    $/25min session $91.71 $89.16 $60.55 $67.19

You'd spend less money and get more track time at the FCA event!!!

You don't need to drive a Ferrari to participate.

7. wrs7

wrs7 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    The spread sheet got mangled... please see attached:

Attached Files:

8. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Interesting analysis. My complaints w fca were not so much about cost or track time. issue is being on track w guy driving enzo, challenge car, 333sp, etc at street speeds but never allowing anyone to pass. That was long time ago but was annoying enough I never went back. imo, the for profit track days are more enjoyable than the car club ones. to each his own...

9. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean

Great post.
    You should come to some lotus club events, well there really only one, but its at the Glenn, in advanced its 15 cars on track, no such issues.

10. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    thanks but i dont know about being at wgi with you at same time. you would lap me and my poor elise 4 times a session! lol.
    ps. would love to see pics of you exige. sounds amazing. and did you ever consider the lotus track car? is it the 311?

11. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I spent 5 years lapping my elise, if I had to start selling its still the last car I would part with. Apart from the street tires I still have 2 other sets of wheels for it, one with slicks and one with 888Rs for when I need my elise track fix or are lazy and just want to drive to the track for some laps, An elise, its also still the best sunday backroad drive by far, its just a machine of perfecly balanced forces and a delicacy of controls that makes everything else seem crude and overwrought. The drawbacks compared to a ferrari they are comparitively uncomfortable, vibratey and sound like a bucket of bolts.

The 311 is the lotus nuclear weapon, but its a fully open car and still more $$ than the exige V6. The exige came from the factory with a FIA cage 6 point harneses, cf seats a plumbed in fire system and a stick as opposed to the 311 paddle race box(maintanance), it weights a little more than a 311 and has 30 less Hp otherwise same tub same suspension shocks brakes etc.

At the Glenn 2 weeks ago (Lotus club) the track free of traffic and I ran a consistent 2.08 which is a personal record, and for sure the car can do more, the driver just has to catch up to the car. I can think of more than a few places where I could or should be going quicker in and or braking less, so its not the car. Great thing is its lotus turn key, in a season all it asks for is fluids pads and tires. Tires are 10-12 heat cycles (2-3 days) more or less same as elise, pads maybe 5 days as opposed to 15 for the elise, fuel consumption, well the supercharged motor really likes 100 on track and burns it 35% quicker than an else burns 93, so pads and fuel are the bigger cost compared to an elise. The V6 is ferrari flat 12 smooth and sounds simply fantastic, amazing what you can do with off the rack motors these days.

Between the two Loti I have driven my BBI maybe 3x this year.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

95spiderman likes this.
  12. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    that is one gorgeous lotus!

13. wrs7

wrs7 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Passing has not been a problem at Ferrari Club events in my experience. Most drivers are very considerate. The lower number of drivers in each grounp is probably is similar to the Lotus Club event at WGI. The Lotus Club used to come to the FCA events too. It was fun to see them fly around the track!

14. Doc V.

Doc V. Karting

Aug 29, 2012
    Registration is still open for the 3-4 August 2018 Lime Rock Park track event hosted by the Empire State Region of the Ferrari Club of America. No prior track driving experience is needed, and run groups will be available for drivers of all skill levels. Accredited instructors will be provided. Convertibles with built-in roll bars are accepted. Ample opportunities for passing will be available in all run groups.

The event is a great opportunity to develop your driving skill sets, explore your car's performance, and warm up for the Ferrari Club of America's 2018 International Meet at Coring/Watkins Glen International this September.

ALL MARQUES ARE WELCOME.

More information and registration material can be found here: http://empirestateregion.com/events/lime-rock-park-track-event-4/

15. Jasonberkeley

Jasonberkeley Formula 3

Apr 23, 2017
    NW Corner, CT
    Full Name:
    Jason Berkeley
    Ive sent my registration in. Looking forward to joining!

Doc V. likes this.
  16. Bahb7

Bahb7 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 8, 2011
    Boston, MA area
    FCA events are a hoot. I’ve been instructing with FCA since about 2010. Everyone has been very nice and friendly. Plus there’s always some delicious looking cars in attendance!

As for getting stuck behind a car with no point-by, well, that happens with every club I’ve ever driven or instructed with....marque, profit vs. non-profit, club, track, run group.....it doesn’t matter. That being said, I always try to be very diligent about mirrors and point-bys, but we’ve all been guilty of not checking our mirrors enough at some point during our driving “career”. Its the same drivers that attend with various clubs, so I don’t think one club can be singled out. For example, I've driven and instructed with BMWCCA, FCA, SCCA, SCDA, HOD, and so on, so the habit of not checking mirrors follows the driver, not the club.

Anyhow, the FCA Lime Rock event is a great time, and I highly recommend it. Sadly I won’t make it this year, as I had already signed up for Mont Tremblant the same weekend.

17. Jasonberkeley

Jasonberkeley Formula 3

Apr 23, 2017
    NW Corner, CT
    Full Name:
    Jason Berkeley
    Fun, well run event. Lots of track time, nice group of cars and people. Will look forward to joining again in the future.