Michelin Tires | FerrariChat

Michelin Tires

Discussion in '612/599' started by Schestc2, Jun 6, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Schestc2

Schestc2 Karting

Sep 20, 2012
    Vienna, Austria
    Full Name:
    Stefan
    I recently searched for new tires for my Scal and found out that Michelin has obviously discontinued their Pilot Supersport series, replaced now by the Pilot Sport 4S. Unfortunately they do not offer 245/40/19, which are my fronts.

Does anybody knows what's the best alternative? Don't want to switch back to Pirelli as Michelin are so much smoother.

Thanks a lot.

2. derivativesguy

BANNED

Jul 18, 2017
    #2 derivativesguy, Jun 6, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
  3. swiss612

swiss612 Karting

May 10, 2016
    Zurich
    Full Name:
    Michel
    Check that you get K rated tyres
    I have mounted the MPSS in K" (20 inch) recently and the car is transformed. No more locking when braking hard, extremely hard to get the rear to go on the dry, you'd really have to put 1st gear in a hairpin then. Much safer on the wet.
    New pirrellis would probably be as good, but mine were 7 years old and, although they looked new, they got too hard by then

Don't forget that the MPSS was designed much later than the scaglietti, so you are getting even with the MPSS, a newer generation tyre. I am sure you can always get something better, but I was looking to get the K rating, in my case I found K2 front and rear

Makuono likes this.
  4. derivativesguy

BANNED

Jul 18, 2017
    What K rating are you referring to? "K" designation for tires in the USA is 68MPH. Most Michelin's are Y (186MPH) by default.

5. HKS479

HKS479 Karting

Sep 23, 2015
    Zurich, Switzerland
  6. DZ-96

DZ-96 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2010
    South Germany
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    Hi Stefan

I got my new Michelin MPSS a few weeks ago.
    I have the 20 " rims front and rear.
    MPSS in 305/35 20 is not available, so I took 315/35 20
    and to get no understeer and a higher franc the 255/35 20 for the front.

All in K2 spec.
    Perhaps you can get the 255/35 19 for your pentagram rims.

Should work fine also.

Daniel

7. derivativesguy

BANNED

Jul 18, 2017
    Just in case you people don't realize it ... there is no such thing as "Ferrari" Michelin tires. They have one tire they consider to be OEM ... probably this spec you're mentioning ... but the rubber, tread, etc. is all identical. Rest is in your head.

8. Schestc2

Schestc2 Karting

Sep 20, 2012
    Vienna, Austria
    Full Name:
    Stefan
    Thanks for the replies. It seems in the US they are available, but in Europe, they are not anymore.

9. DZ-96

DZ-96 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2010
    South Germany
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    Mhhhh

I checked the websites for tires here in Germany.
    No problem to get the 245/35 19 as MPSS.

Where do you looked for this size and brand.

Daniel

10. swiss612

swiss612 Karting

May 10, 2016
    Zurich
    Full Name:
    Michel
    No not the same tires, take different spec and you will see the design is different, there has been threads on the topic already
    Manufacturer ratings are setting more than 50 specs for the tires...

11. derivativesguy

BANNED

Jul 18, 2017
    This may be true with Pirelli, but not with Michelin. And Pirelli can't make or design a tire of any quality, as is evident by their disastrous showing in Formula one since they took over for Bridgestone in the last 8 or so years.

12. Schestc2

Schestc2 Karting

Sep 20, 2012
    Vienna, Austria
    Full Name:
    Stefan
    Ferrari size is 245/40/19 not 245/35/19 and those I cannot find.

13. DZ-96

DZ-96 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2010
    South Germany
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    Oh, my fault.
    I thought they are also 35 like the 20"

Are 255/40 available ?
    255/40 should also work with the 315/35 at the rear.

Daniel

14. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    That's not correct. Ferrari submits its own spec to Michelin. Michelin designates Ferrari spec tires by adding the K1, K2 or K3 to the tire model number. That's why if you look up a specific size tire you will see what appears to be the same tire, but some model numbers have the K designation and others don't.

HKS479 is correct. The "N" designation is for Porsche spec'd tires.

LARRYH and Xtreme5053 like this.
  15. Schestc2

Schestc2 Karting

Sep 20, 2012
    Vienna, Austria
    Full Name:
    Stefan
    I simply want the original sized tires from Michelin, nothing else, and I cant find them in Europe, I do not want to change, let alone its not that easy in Germany. So whoever knows where to find suitable Michelins in 245/40/19, do let me know, Would be highly appreciated. could be either SSP or 4s. Thanks

16. swiss612

swiss612 Karting

May 10, 2016
    Zurich
    Full Name:
    Michel
    Indeed I looked too, impossible to find
    I see though that the PS2 in K2 is available, I remember that I had them on my 997 4s, really liked them in comparison to the Pzero
    Don't forget that the 612 is from the PS2 generation not the MPSS which came in 2011 or 2012 and 4s that came in 2016, this could explain why you cannot find them for the scag
    Personally I would go PS2 with the K2 spec rather than non spec modern tire

17. Schestc2

Schestc2 Karting

Sep 20, 2012
    Vienna, Austria
    Full Name:
    Stefan
    MPSS work very nice on the 612, had them for many many years, really a pitty if they are not available anymore.

18. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    TireRack here in the States has MPSS in 245/40 19 and I am sure would be happy to ship them to you. I would much rather have MPSS or 4S tires (have MPSS on my 575M) than old spec tires. Both are huge improvements over the PS2, and wear better, too.

19. swiss612

swiss612 Karting

May 10, 2016
    Zurich
    Full Name:
    Michel
    but hey getting tires from the us... you will have as much tire as transport cost...
    My friend with his 19 inch also had issues finding MPSS, he ultimately ended up with MPSS in the back and sport 4 in front, not ideal but that's what is available in europe unfortunately
    Why don't you contact Michelin directly and ask them if those 19 front tires are available ? I am sure you will find a contact detail somewhere

20. swiss612

swiss612 Karting

May 10, 2016
    Zurich
    Full Name:
    Michel
  21. derivativesguy

BANNED

Jul 18, 2017
    Show me that on the Michelin website, and I'll believe you. Otherwise, you're just drinking the kool-aid.

22. Makuono

Makuono Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2014
    Full Name:
    Ricardo
    As said above, K1, K2 and K3 are tires developed by Michelin with Ferrari/Maserati, suiting better those vehicles and the type of driving of its average drivers.

My 612 has the MPSS K1 - true that are subtle differences on the thread and also on the price!

from another forum (http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=682188):

Here is the deal with the Michelin PSS in "Ferrari K1" spec compared to the normal spec tire.

"1) The Ferrari "K1" spec tires ARE different compared to the normal non Ferrari tires

2) The "K1" spec starts out with less tread wear. For the 245/35/20 size it starts out with 9/32 tread where as the normal tire is 10/32. Barely any difference but.....the 285/30/20 K1 Ferrari tire starts out at just 7/32 tread where as the normal tire is 10/32. You are basically losing 30% of tread right off the bat to save weight (more on that later).

3) The tread design pattern is the same but the grooves in between the tread columns on the K1 tire is wider. You have to see the tire side by side to see the difference.

4) The K1 Ferrari tire tends to be lighter weight than the normal tire. For the 285/30/20 size the K1 tire is approx 2.6lbs lighter. This doesn't mean its only from shaving down the tread of the tire because the overall diameter of both tires is exactly the same according to Michelin's specs.

5) Now here's the kicker. Since i originally ordered the K1 spec tires for both the front and rear just to find out now that Tirerack also sells the Normal version non K1 tire in the 285/30/20 size, I called to exchange the tires since i haven't mounted them yet. Now that i have both sets of the tires in front of me the K1 tire has a different profile sidewall and is also much stiffer than the normal non K1 tire. The K1 tire's sidewall is more rounded and has more of a stretched look while the normal version is a more traditional blockier sidewall (less stretch look). You can tell just by looking at the tire without them being installed on a wheel. The part that worries me is that the K1 tire will probably have stiffer ride comfort (better handling) compared to the non K1 version. I believe this is due to the K1 tire having a higher speed rating than the normal tire. Not sure.

6) The "K1" tire also cost more. TR has the rear tires for $406 each while the normal version is $359 each for the 285/30/20 size."

350MH83, DZ-96, LARRYH and 1 other person like this.
  23. derivativesguy

BANNED

Jul 18, 2017
    In that thread, they don't even show the actual tires to prove what they are. Show me on the Michelin website where any tire has a "K1" option next to it, and Michelin designates it anything other than "OEM" --- which only means its the correct size.

Listening to fools on a BMW or Mercedes forum (or even a Ferrari forum in most instances) is a sure fire way to obtain terrible, terrible, information.

24. Makuono

Makuono Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2014
    Full Name:
    Ricardo
    You are right. The internet is full of fools.

We should always do our research. If the image is too small, I can try and make it bigger.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

steven t evans likes this.
  25. derivativesguy

BANNED

Jul 18, 2017
    Congratulations. You went to Tirerack.com and linked a picture of a Michelin Tire in a certain size, that happens to coincide with the Ferrari OEM tire size for their vehicles (which is why they have it listed as Ferrari K2), and has no other information that it is in any way relevant to Ferrari other than it's size.

Right off : https://www.michelinman.com/tire/michelin/pilot-super-sport

The 285/35ZR20 Michelin Pilot Super Sport tire, with no other specifications, is identical to the tire you listed.

Stop drinking the kool-aid.

Image Unavailable, Please Login