Best 2+2 | FerrariChat

Best 2+2

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by JerseyBland, Jun 12, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JerseyBland

JerseyBland Karting

Apr 29, 2018
    Chandler AZ
    Full Name:
    Scott B
    Hello Fchaters,

My lovely wife has decided (and I agree) it’s time to get her into something...more. The teens are grown and out of the house, we have a 6 & a 2 yr old left....so we need a 2+2 for her daily driving.

We drove a Cali and Cali T, and plans to drive the Maser GT.

She’ll drive it a few times a week to karate, grocery store etc. as a stay at home mom, not a lot of miles being added.

We have a truck for pulling the boat and piling in kids and friends if need be.

I’d like to be under 125k if possible, and I love a deal so the bigger the bang for the buck...the better.

Ok, all that to ask: What else should we look at (thinking Ferrari, Maserati, maybe Aston, or?) definitely not interested in BMW/Mercedes/Porsche?

Sporty, solid sounding, decent tech, great value?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. papou

papou Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2012
    plantation Fla
    Full Name:
    daniel ross
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    No brainer,

G. Pepper and JerseyBland like this.
  3. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    For your purposes I agree.

I almost bought one for my wife, but she was too intimidated by the power. She ended up with a new Panamera.

JerseyBland likes this.
  4. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    The FF (and Lusso) is the only modern F car that will fit passengers comfortably for a daily. Forget about the Cali and two kids every day. You might consider a 612 if you can stunt their growth for a few years.
    The Rapide, although a four door, has back seats little better than a 612. The Aston 2+2s have less room than the Cali.
    The Maserati QP has plenty of room if you want a sports sedan, but it's on a different (lower) level in most respects.

Bundy and JerseyBland like this.
  5. JerseyBland

JerseyBland Karting

Apr 29, 2018
    Chandler AZ
    Full Name:
    Scott B
    Hadn’t really considered the Panamera (by default my brain associates Porsche with tiny cars)....hows it working out for her?

6. JerseyBland

JerseyBland Karting

Apr 29, 2018
    Chandler AZ
    Full Name:
    Scott B
    Great insight...any other suggestions besides the FF/Lusso (wife doesn’t like the chunky back end)....

7. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Panamera is a great car but certainly bland compered to the other choices. The current version might woo her with the technology and manageable performance.
    If she hates the FF (my wife does too) you should try the 612 and see if you can live with it. The 2007+ 612s are quite modern. The 612 doesn't come alive unless you shift manually and keep revs up which may not be her style.
    The only Maserati to buy is the current model (past models are a bit laughable,) so you're facing lots of depreciation.

JerseyBland likes this.
  8. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    The FF and the nicer 612's are at or above your budget, but I would think for something that is not going to be driven a lot, those are the best choices.

The FF really is in another league and era than the 612, and would be a lot more likely to be reliable. It's also AWD, if that's important to you.

I would say the Panamera would be a third choice, but it's not a 2+2. The kids will grow, so they'd be uncomfortable in the 612 eventually.

I'm not crazy about the FF's looks either, but it's such a great car that I myself am about to give up on the idea of a 612, which is a very beautiful car.

I miss having a 2+2.

JerseyBland likes this.
  9. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Is you wife mostly going to drive the kids around on her errands in this new car, or use the truck for that? If it is going out to get groceries, running errands, having lunch with friends, going to dinner with you, etc. with at most one other passenger, then the Cali is a great run around town car. My wife and I use our Cali for these tasks quite frequently. Even trips to Costco. And, when the weather is nice, coupe to convertible in 14 seconds!

If your wife will be driving with the kids most of the time, then FF is the best F-car option as mentioned earlier. Cali back seats are near useless for anything other than the smallest children, lap dogs. The back seats can hold a goodly amount of groceries though!

Good luck...T

JerseyBland likes this.
  10. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    if i am right to infer from your handle that you live in NJ, and you want this to be a yearround car then your only viable choices are the FF or Lusso.
    and in your price range, that means the FF.

not my favorite shape, but its growing on me....

JerseyBland likes this.
  11. JerseyBland

JerseyBland Karting

Apr 29, 2018
    Chandler AZ
    Full Name:
    Scott B
    Born & raised there...in AZ now.

I don’t love the FF, but I can tolerate it’s looks. Unfortunately no way on planet earth my wife will drive it, she hates the look. I’ve tried more than a few times to steer her in that direction, not going to happen. She loves the Cali T, but seems to think the girls will fit forever, and they won’t.

Such a conundrum. Is there a Lamborghini or Alfa 2 + 2 option?

12. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    ok, if you do not live in NJ, then either get the 612 or the bentley continental gt.
    on the other hand, i also found, (and bought) the CL550 mercedes and it is a fantastic car, and the new S coupe is even better.

G. Pepper likes this.
  13. JerseyBland

JerseyBland Karting

Apr 29, 2018
    Chandler AZ
    Full Name:
    Scott B
  14. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    She absolutely loves it. It arrived on December 22nd so the dealer put a big red bow on it when we went to pick it up.

So far the car has been absolutely flawless. We got the Panamera 4 (AWD), so it is the base engine, but at 330 HP its plenty powerful enough for her. We got a lot of options including surround view, and InnoDrive which really helps her since it is a big car. I would say with two kids, and their accompanying paraphernalia, you should at least go see one.

G. Pepper likes this.
  15. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I forgot about the Bentley. I prefer the GTV8. The rear seats are comparable to the 612 though.

16. papou

papou Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2012
    plantation Fla
    Full Name:
    daniel ross
    I agree about the looks rear end mainly my wife hated it , took her to FFL to see it close up changed her mind immediately
    and the color makes a difference. But a truly magnificent car.

JerseyBland likes this.
  17. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    and there is the new panamera wagon, which i personally like the look of but have never seen in the flesh

JerseyBland likes this.
  18. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    As it has been stated before, nonwithstanding nice alternatives like the Bentley or the Panamera, the FF is a lot of car, a lot of Ferrari for a relatively small ammount of money. Great value for money. 4 seats, 4 wheel drive, Pininfarina designed, V12 naturally aspirated engine... Were I in the market for a 4 seater, it would be a no brainer. I strongly suggest you test drive an FF and see if you fall in love with it and if it meets all your requirements. I bet it will!

Kind regards,

Nuno.

JerseyBland, NE550 and G. Pepper like this.
  19. NE550

NE550 Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2017
    Omaha, NE
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Agree! The FF is a bit oddly proportioned, but to me they're oddly alluring and one of those cars that look much better in the metal than in photos. Color choice makes a big difference too. A guy brought his newly acquired Nero Daytona/Nero interior FF this last weekend to a local coffee & cars and I though it looked fantastic. What a machine!