Window help please | FerrariChat

Window help please

Discussion in '206/246' started by need4speed, Jun 13, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. need4speed

need4speed Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Pacific Palisades
    I'm about to try to finish up my window motor refurbishment project. I have an issue with the window itself. It sticks. I currently have the motor and cable out of the car. And my window will stay in the fully raised position from friction. Only when I drive and hit bumps does it move down. It will move down bit by bit. But never reaches the bottom.

I'd like to fix my window before reinstalling the motor and cable. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Manny

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

2. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    either it needs new felt channels, or try some dry lubricant. not sure on the 246 if the glass frame is adjustable. but usually it is the felt channels start to fall apart. my guess

3. racerboy9

racerboy9 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Honda Shin-Etsu Grease is great for window channels. I use a monject syringe to put it just where I want it. Deep in the window channel. The window channel may be adjustable to give a little more clearance.

4. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    yes grease does work,..... but some greases deteriorate the rubber in the channel over time, and will bind the glass

5. racerboy9

racerboy9 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Shin-Etsu is made for rubber and weather seals. About $10 at the Honda Dealer.

6. need4speed

need4speed Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Pacific Palisades
    What do you mean by "window channel "?

7. need4speed

need4speed Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Pacific Palisades
    I will give this a try. Thank you

8. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Addressing door/drop glass operation issues without the entire regulator system, including cable and its drive unit, in place and properly adjusted, is somewhat moot point, especially in systems in which the cable-to-glass attachment points are used for alignment adjustment.

9. need4speed

need4speed Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Pacific Palisades
    I understand your point about adjustment. But I am just trying to ensure that the glass moves freely.

10. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I think you're right about this. The glass should move freely before it is attached to the cables. There's is some resistance, especially with new felt, but it should be easy to drop the glass. Check if the vent window is properly seated, both in the door frame and the vent window rubber gasket. You might try opening the vent window and nudging the front guide towards the front of the car and see if that has an effect.