FORMULA 1 GRAND PRIX HEINEKEN DU CANADA 2018: RACE *** SPOILERS *** | Page 16 | FerrariChat

FORMULA 1 GRAND PRIX HEINEKEN DU CANADA 2018: RACE *** SPOILERS ***

Discussion in 'F1' started by SPEEDCORE, Jun 10, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dino2010

Dino2010 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2006
    Belgium
    Too wide to overtake? Have you seen the width of F1 cars of the 70's, 80's and early 90's? As well described in some former posts, Senna and Bellof were overtaking many others at that particular Monaco GP.
    Overtaking has to do with intelligence and courage. Look at Max, he is not scared, tries to overtake whenever and where he can. Unfortunately still missing 'some' intelligence. But courage, he got! Remember Brazil last year, in the rain?
    Too many weasels around in the F1 circus of today. Look at overtakings of Piquet, Mansell, Gilles Villeneuve, Senna, Arnoux. Those were drivers with balls. And the Cars were as large as today, or even larger.

2. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    But they had a different aero...being able to drive in the slipstream and braking late is the secret of overtaking. Now they are not able to drive in slipstream because of the dirty air and the braking point is that late that it is almost impossible to brake even later. I just read today an add of Brembo where they stated that the braking distance was reduced by 22% only in the last 10 years in F1...in the braking zone there is simply no more room for maneuvres.

NeuroBeaker likes this.
  3. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    You left out Prost. He made most passes than the drivers you mentioned, but he did in a non-spectacular [read: thoughtful & methodical] way that it looked boring to some. He was called "The professor" for a reason. ;)

CSM0TION and NeuroBeaker like this.
  4. Dino2010

Dino2010 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2006
    Belgium
    True! One of the greatest!

Jakuzzi likes this.
  5. Dino2010

Dino2010 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2006
    Belgium
    You are right, so somehow drivers are handicapped by the perfection of the car. They should get rid of this highly sophisticated aero.....Just one spoiler at the front and one at the back.

Isobel, tomc and P.Singhof like this.
  6. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    So you answer a questionable "if" statement by another string of "if's"...
    Ickx took a decision just based on the conditions of the moment, and the race was not stopped before - in spite of heavy rain causing several crashes - nor later; it was stopped - by chance? - just when Prost was leading (and at the time no one could tell what Prost would have managed, second place was by no mean guaranteed while the 4.5 points were with the race ending then).
    Regarding the outcome for Porsche, Prost (with his 4.5 points of Monaco) was beaten at the end of the season by Lauda, the other McLaren-TAG-Porsche driver - so that did not prove a risky move against Porsche ;)

william likes this.
  7. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

You must be talking about Max' wild aquaplaning followed by a massive "tank slapper" on the pit straight.

He didn't hit the pit wall head on as feared, but that had nothing to do with "skill".

Max was just a passenger then, and he escaped unscathed by sheer luck, nothing else.

8. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    To that I would reply that the aero then were not as efficient as today, and cars could race closer to each other.

Now, it's practically impossible to stay for long in the turbulence of the car in front of you, at the risk of losing downforce and tyre grip.

Therefore, most overtaking manoeuvres have to be launched from way back, and not all of them end up successfully.

9. Dino2010

Dino2010 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2006
    Belgium
    Yes, I was referring to that move.
    Sometimes I tend to believe the same thing, as you explain. Other moments I believe he has an incredible natural talent. He has shown other overtakings that were brave and extremely well executed. Other moves were scandals and quite dumb. Don't get me wrong, I am not a fan of his at all. He is not very smart, but that's something else.

william likes this.
  10. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Like you I believe he is very talented, but he lacks patience, I think, and rushes his moves too often.

What's troubling is that he doesn't seem to learn from his mistakes, and refuses to do so.

11. scudF1

scudF1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Billy
    I don't believe that he is not learning all. He just learns the hard way... by costing him points and credibility on the grid.

12. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    No Bas, it's just that kimi talks in his sleep :p :D

stavura, furoni, Bas and 1 other person like this.
  13. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Well of course :)

tomc likes this.
  14. Dino2010

Dino2010 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2006
    Belgium
    Brundle has become a softie.
    Not a word about his idiot friends at FIA, letting an imbecile camouflage model wave the Finish Flag one lap early???? What a legal disaster this could have been if Vettel and Hamilton were fighting for the lead, in the 69th-70th lap?
    They really take it very easy, clown Whiting and his crew of failed morons.
    Who will ever have the courage to fire this fulltime idiot ? AND REVIEW F1 REGULATIONS FROM SCRATCH?

15. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    :p:p:p:p

16. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    From the moment they decided it was ok for Alonso to win the 2008 Singapore g.p and hamilton win the title that same year due to a proven fixed race i guess they're ok to do everything else, i don't see how it can get any worse....

17. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    You are revisiting old ground here, for no purpose, if I may say so.

At the end of the Singapore GP, Alonso was declared winner, because nobody suspected there was foul play. It's as simple as that !
    At season end, Hamilton was declared WDC, based on the results of the year. Again, without any contestation.
    It's only a year later, when Piquet Jr blew the whistle on a plot in which he had participated that the whole conspiracy was uncovered.
    Although the FIA took disciplinary actions against some of the protagonists, they were beyond the deadline to change the results.
    It was by then, impossible for the FIA to annul Alonso's win, take away Hamilton's title, etc... So the records stood, and remain the best of a bad job.

Insight is a luxury you don't have when decisions have to be taken immediately.

18. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    + Nobody at Renault gave a **** about who would become WDC because of that, they simply did that to gain a race win for Alonso....

william likes this.
  19. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    All true, still it doesn't make it right, by the rules and by fairness, Massa was the champion, i don't care if it's old news...it will never be accepted as a legitimate title, unless for those who just like to look at the record books.

20. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

You must be very lonely …

21. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Yes, i do work alone in my office so it gets a bit lonely, but i have you guys to keep me company and "the black keys" singing along, so it get's a bit better! :)

stavura and Igor Ound like this.
  22. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    No I think that Pedro has a valid point. The results from Singapore should have been excluded from the WDC which would make Massa champion. It is impossible to revise the standings more than a year later but there should be some sort of recognition if only an asterisk. My two cents.

23. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    The Asterisk would say: Massa and Ferrari screwed the pit stop ;)
    Massa lost not because of Renault but because they made a mistake...

24. CSM0TION

CSM0TION Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2004
    Long Island,New York
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    The Black Keys are great! I think I’ll throw that on as well.

Igor Ound likes this.