leather reviving | FerrariChat

leather reviving

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by redfred84, Jun 25, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. redfred84

redfred84 Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2010
    SF Bay Area, USA
    I seem to remember a thread on coaxing ancient, and dry leather back into use here. I was just approached by a friend who has a V-16 Caddy that has been accepted to Pebble Beach. However, his leather interior is original, and failing. He has had a duplicate set of seats made, so he can participate in the tour, then switch back for the Concours. But he would like to somehow utilize the originals for the future.
    Any thoughts, or comments on this. I realize that the material, and era of manufacture pre-dates our cars, but one never knows.

Thanks, RF.

2. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    i cannot vouch for the product, but go to the Ferrari Boxer portion of the Forum and you will find recent discussions of a product called Leather Honey.

3. eogorman

eogorman Formula Junior

May 10, 2005
    Buhl, ID
    Full Name:
    Eugene O'Gorman
    Do a search on this site. There are several products that work well

4. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    Check out Color Plus https://colorplus.com/

I have been using their products for years with very good results. Many of the high end restoration shops know and use these products.
    The Color Plus website has a tab named "About Leather" that is worth reading. Also, your friend should talk to the owner, Joanne Price, as she really knows her stuff.

Some years ago I wrote an article on restoring the leather on a Ghibli and a Merak. The article is posted on my website and can be downloaded here: http://thecarnut.com/Manuals/Leather_Restoration.pdf

Ivan

5. sinkman

sinkman Karting

Oct 28, 2010
    Melbourne Australia
    Full Name:
    Phil
    Thank you Ivan...this is very helpful
    Phil

6. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    He might want to talk with Steve Babinski in Lebanon, NJ who has a huge restoration business there. He has a ton of cars just like that in his shop all the time. Many are in the preservation class too. He did last years Pebble Beach winner and has done many, many other winners as well. I've used to Leatherique to soften older leather in preparation for dying with the colorplus product. If you over do it the leather can stretch a bit too much on panels and the padding underneath can deteriorate from all the massaging so go carefully.

7. redfred84

redfred84 Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2010
    SF Bay Area, USA
    Thanks all for all your replies on this. I will forward them to my buddy.

Many Thanks, RF.