Importing an F12 to the UK | FerrariChat

Importing an F12 to the UK

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by cn.ldn, Jun 26, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cn.ldn

cn.ldn Rookie

Jun 21, 2018
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Hello all!

I have recently been exploring the option of importing an F12 Berlinetta from mainland Europe to the UK for personal use, but trying to figure out if its worth it.

There are of course companies that can take care of most things for me, but I was trying to figure out exactly what needs to be done to meet the UK Certification required.

I know the front headlights have to be pointing in a certain direction, you also need the rear foglight to be central and also the speedometer to be in MPH.

I assume most are quick fixes or already to the right standard, my main concern is the front headlights.

https://mycarimport.co.uk/ told me that they can make an adjustment to the headlights (They say their mechanics know a quick fix for Ferrari and Maseratis) for a small fee (approx £300) and it will comply with the UK standards... I just wonder if its too good to be true. Replacing the headlights according to HR. Owen would be £6000.

Annoyingly HR Owen said they would need to see the car to know exactly what to do, which is rather annoying because how else would they see it other than me purchasing and bringing it over!

Was wondering if anyone has had experience in doing this & any advice for me?

Thanks in advance.
    Chris.

2. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Apparently the front headlights are different for LHD and RHD (and - to my surprise - even with the adaptive front lights); if you want to have a LHD car (from mainland Europe) to drive in a RHD country you may need to change the headlights...

3. cn.ldn

cn.ldn Rookie

Jun 21, 2018
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Thanks mate, I did suspect this..

I'll just factor it into costs so that it won't be a surprise if I have to do it.

4. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Mycarimport have done a lot of this type of thing so should know - my understanding of modern lights is they have a flat pattern so (for example) the little stickers are no longer required when abroad whereas the dealer would say that you needed the pukka parts - also I think the light requirements for registration might be different to MOT (tick box rather than test)

5. cn.ldn

cn.ldn Rookie

Jun 21, 2018
    Full Name:
    Chris
    This info is very helpful, thanks.

Maybe i should give mycarimport a chance, they do seem very experienced, although it's actually hard to find any reviews online other than the testimonials on their own site..

I would assume they know that it would also need to pass the MOT, but i'd make sure I mention this before I do anything!

I can't tell whether Hr. Owen just want to make money or are being genuine..

6. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    There's a few mentions over at Pistonheads

cn.ldn likes this.
  7. 2k8SB

2k8SB Karting

Oct 20, 2004
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    Don’t know about the F12 but I imported a LHD gallardo years ago from mainland Europe to the UK. The lights didn’t need to be changed I was told there was a switch on the back of each light to alter the throw pattern from lhd to rhd, the dealer in Belgium did it for me before I took it back to the UK. Was fairly simple, maybe this is similar to the ‘quick fix’ you are being offered? From my experience UK dealers weren’t really interested in helping me sort out the changes but the dealers in mainland Europe were more helpful. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

cn.ldn likes this.