Will SN4381, 330LMB be on the block at Monterey 2018? | FerrariChat

Will SN4381, 330LMB be on the block at Monterey 2018?

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by bitzman, Jul 1, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    If so, which auction? Supposedly it was offered by "private treaty" at Monterey by Rick Cole Auction Co. in 2016 but must not have sold because it was in a Beverly Hills dealer showroom for many months. This is the famous "Golden Ferrari"that sported anopen roadster body by Fantuzzi long enough to be in a Fellini movie. Now it's back to a Fantuzzi built 330LMB body. I was wondering if its creator, the British driver/engineer Michael Parkes, considered this his creates achievement?

Back in 2016 Haggerty estimated it was worth$30 million but I should think, with a GTO going for $70 million it might have inched upward, being such close kin.

2. Timmmmmmmmmmy

Timmmmmmmmmmy F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2010
    NZ
    Full Name:
    Timothy Russell
    As to whether it has any connection to the GTO's, that would depend on who you talk to and whether they are a purist or not. As to the offering, the cars owner has a connection to Rick Cole so that was the avenue to offer it although a RM or Gooding & co. would have been a better venue. There is no Rick Cole auction, it was deferred in 2017 and the same in 2018, although their website promises a 2019 sale is in the wind. As such, I couldn't see it being offered but stranger things have happened and by the by its still available at Ferrari of Beverly Hills.

3. Terra

Terra F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2004
    Timmmmmmmmmmy likes this.
  4. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Said to be the original body which was retained.

5. Timmmmmmmmmmy

Timmmmmmmmmmy F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2010
    NZ
    Full Name:
    Timothy Russell
    Could be. The dollar amount they wanted at Rick Cole in 2016 was insane (roughly 50% above what any other had sold for) and I can't see where the market has improved to the extent that becomes reasonable. Speculation sucks when you get it wrong.

6. Terra

Terra F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2004
    While FoBH was marketing it, they were actually asking considerably more than Rick Cole was.

7. Timmmmmmmmmmy

Timmmmmmmmmmy F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2010
    NZ
    Full Name:
    Timothy Russell
    So roughly double what the vendor paid for it when he purchased the car in early 2016?
    Thats one way to make money, NOT!

8. Terra

Terra F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2004
    No, 2x is too high a multiple.

9. Timmmmmmmmmmy

Timmmmmmmmmmy F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2010
    NZ
    Full Name:
    Timothy Russell
    IIRC I had heard reports that it was sold to the current owner for a figure in the teens and he offered it at RC Monterey 2016 for $25 - 30 mil. I assumed FOBH was asking at least that. So roughly $18 mil purchase and $30 million ask, thats nearly double.;)