328 GTS and Mondial t (cab) Conundrum | FerrariChat

328 GTS and Mondial t (cab) Conundrum

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by read33, Jul 4, 2018.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. read33

read33 Karting

Mar 23, 2017
    Long Island
    A few years back I bought a pristine 1989 328 GTS with 10,500 miles. Absolutely love it. And I take proper care of it...., major service (2018) climate control storage, yearly professional detailing (quick plug for Matt at Detailing Dynamics- Long Island-extraordinary). Recently fitted with a new Tubi and straight pipe (another quick plug, this one for Universal Auto Sports... Joe and Luigi do all the work on this car- phenomenal) .... yes I kept the original exhaust and cats. Long story short, this an immaculate, well cared for, much loved Ferrari. A fantastic example of a fantastic car. As such, I drive it.... in fact I put 2,000 miles on it in my first year.

After a bit of reflection over concerns about piling up mileage, it occurred to me, as I later explained to my wife, the only way to save this Ferrari would be...... to buy another Ferrari! (It was pretty much like that scene in Monty Python Holy Grail "....another shrubbery!"). The thinking was that I would buy a well sorted for car that I could drive w/out reflection or concern about miles... thus saving the 328. What a rare and beautiful thing it is when practicality dictates the purchase of a Ferrari.

So I found a 1990 Mondial t and took possession in March of 2017.... also immaculate and with only about 14,000 miles. Ditto the care, service, attention above, including the Tubi (but w/out the straight pipe which is not advisable on a Mondial t and a major isn't necessary until at least another year). What a great car....so misunderstood, so underrated, so much fun to drive and so undeserving of anything but praise. So great is the Mondial t that the reasoning behind its purchase has been put into question because this car cannot be asked to accumulate all the miles in deference to any other car. The point being is that I love them both.

Today the 328 has approximately 14,500 miles and the Mondial about 17,500. Both are in near perfect condition (For each I paid a premium for AAA condition which I strive to maintain). The market for 328s has cooled a bit, but Mondials (especially the t) are finally getting some market attention and appreciation. So therein lies the conundrum..... whether to favor one car over the other in terms of keeping miles low. i.e, which car has the brighter value future?

Now I don't have the budget or room for a third Ferrari. While I can afford the cars I have, I can't entirely dismiss thoughts about value or future values. So I put the question to the diverse, knowledgeable, and spectacularly opinionated F-Chat community. Please let me know your thoughts and comments.

Wade and paulchua like this.
  2. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    You make the ‘Knights that say ni’ very proud sir!! Thanks for posting your beautiful cars and most excellent post. My view is sort of a cop out, which is to say drive both equally! That way you are not only enjoying the character of both vehicles, but are giving both of your majestic steeds much needed ‘exercise’ which we know is good for these cars. You are a blessed man, and I wish you many miles of motoring happiness!

read33 likes this.
  3. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Two nice cars!!

You may get a little bias here, but it seems to me the Mondial has the better appreciation potential.

As you note, it is finally coming into its own and is getting much more recognition. Even if both cars were to go up the same dollar amount in a given time period, the Mondial will go up a higher percentage since it is starting from a lower amount.

To the extent you are interested in profit, then you need to figure out purchase price against appreciated price. I suspect your profit on the 328 will be less because you paid more in relative terms to purchase price to acquire.

Or you can continue to split miles if you are not in it just for investment and keep both cars relatively low mileage with enough mileage to maintain them in top condition (not driving these cars is not good for them).

Certainly a nice problem to have!!

Regards,
    Jerry

read33 likes this.
  4. StuR

StuR Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2005
    UK Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Stu R
    Not sure the mondial will go above the 328s, the market for a 2+2 is not as large as for 2 seat Ferrari, even though the supply of the latter is larger.

Have you tried jacking the rear and leaving it in reverse to take the miles of in the style of Ferris Bueler? Or driving both equally to half the miles on each and hedge your bets.

Ultimately the answer is easy - you need to buy another Ferrari. 360s are relatively low - but budgeting for that and the follow on divorce may be tricky;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

paulchua, Freerange72 and read33 like this.
  5. read33

read33 Karting

Mar 23, 2017
    Long Island
    Thanks, Paul. I know I'm not alone in being blessed in this community... or in appreciating all of your comments and contributions to this site (and to the fun in general of owning a Ferrari). Thanks for the comment and Happy 4th! BTW, after my post this AM I took the Mondial out- what a treat!
    ll

paulchua likes this.
  6. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    Mileage on the F-Car doesn't bother me so much as leaving her outside, getting dirty, sprinkler water, rock chips, parking stalls , valets, etc.

For a great daily sport driver, check out the Boxster/Cayman. There are several different versions, with different performance levels. You could probably get the 3.8 Spyder up to 180 mph ! Besides being reliable, Porsches also depreciate, so there are plenty of bargains to be had.

paulchua and read33 like this.
  7. sidtx

sidtx F1 Rookie
    Owner

Feb 9, 2014
    Frisco, Tx
    Full Name:
    Sid
    The answer is easy. Drive them both and don't worry about mileage or resale value. Life's too short. Or, if it really bothers you, sell them both, and buy a high mileage version of ether car. I have 68K miles on mine, and I drive the heck out of it (well not right now as it's 102-15 degrees outside this month).

Or, you could add a low-cost third Ferrari to your stable. There was just a Mondial that sold on Ebay for $18K (I think ATS-Aaron bought it). Purchase something like that, drive it, enjoy it, fix it up/restore it. If the wife objects, then maybe buy buy her that gold lady-datejust she's been admiring ( or something similar)

8. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    #9 JLF, Jul 4, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
    Joe and Luigi serviced my Mondial t for the last 12 years before I bought it.

9. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    I say drive them both. If not, park them in the garage as museum pieces and just look at them.

10. alexion

alexion Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2013
    New York
    Nice collection: I’d recommend at least 500 miles a year on each, consistently. That will ensure proper exercise and low mileage. People tend to like to see a combination of both when it comes to resale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rosey, paulchua, gsfent and 1 other person like this.
  11. AUDIO RESEARCH

AUDIO RESEARCH Formula Junior

Feb 11, 2009
    PHILIPPINES
    Full Name:
    LUIGI RAYMUND LIRA
    I envy you read33 , I would like to have both a 328 and my current 3.2 Mondial Cab . I was even ready to swap my 89 Porsche 930 for a 328 GTB /GTS so far nobody has accepted my offer. There’s only a few 328 in our country .

Best regard,

Luigi

paulchua likes this.
  12. AUDIO RESEARCH

AUDIO RESEARCH Formula Junior

Feb 11, 2009
    PHILIPPINES
    Full Name:
    LUIGI RAYMUND LIRA
    Btw I would try to drive them as often as I can .

13. eyeman1234

eyeman1234 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 25, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
    Drive 'em! You'll enjoy them more and do at least about 1-1.5K miles yearly for the health of your cars and you! BTW if you ask this question in the 328 section (there's always a bias) you will get different answers... ENJOY!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    #15 moysiuan, Jan 29, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
    In the future if the cars truly become collectible, more as art than to drive, why would low verses high miles affect the value? As long the as the high miler has been maintained in pristine and original unmolested condition, a collector who is not going to drive much will buy mostly for cosmetics. A low miler for a collector typically will not drive very well anyway, hardened seals and bushings that leak and with old hoses and tires can be outright dangerous to drive and most low milers have not had this type of necessary practical maintenance done in favour of absolute "just out of the box" originality. I think the low miles for exotic cars makes some sense for the newer cars, but not for 30 year old classics. Better to acquire a car that has been maintained really well, and driven but not so hard or without care they are dented and "used up".

In any event, I think the 328 is a great car, the best driving of the series for sure, but in my view the very early 308's, and perhaps the 1985 Euro 308 QV, will probably ecplise the 328 as art collectibles being the purer design, inside and out. The Mondial t is a bit of a transitonal vehicle between the old Ferrari body on tube frame and the 348 prefacing the new unibody Ferrari era, still the old school body on frame but with the more modern engine, adjustable suspensions, power steering, etc. Not sure how the collectors will view this, especially with the earlier Mondials looking more "in period" with their styling, bigger side grills and such although its hard to say they look better than the t which is quite subltley appealing. But if neither example of the cars is a slam dunk to become a true collectible, I would drive the car most that is most enjoyable to drive. That probably would favour the Mondial unless you are near some epic winding roads with light traffic.

15. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    Congratulations on the Mondial and the 328 is a very nice ride too! :cool:

You mean save it technically or investment wise?

If you want to save the 328 technically it is not the best option to save it this way. A car needs exercise like humans to stay in condition. Put at least 3k spread over a year on it and don't take short drives, meaning shorter then 30min.

But hey it is a good option to say to the wife to get another Ferrari :)

Nice collection!

16. DadsFerrari

DadsFerrari Formula 3

May 31, 2004
    New England
    Full Name:
    Mister M
    Any love for early Mondial QVs and 3.2s?

17. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Drive them both.

I have a 328 GTS 1989 100 point concourse car that has done 18,000 kilometres. I drive it around 500 kilometres per year to keep it ticking over.

I figure there are plenty of high milage rough 328's out there and there are plenty of mint in the box, untouched 328's with less than 1,000 miles out there too.

But there are fewer perfect original examples that have done medium to low mileage and in my opinion they are the most prized of all.

Original, yet due to regular use drive as good as the day they came out of the factory.

Your aim should be to replicate that too Read33.

read33 likes this.