"OFFICIAL" Coupe/Spyder/GranSport Thread | Page 3 | FerrariChat

"OFFICIAL" Coupe/Spyder/GranSport Thread

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by 4200GT, Aug 10, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. S_AGATA

S_AGATA Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2016
    Mill Valley CA
    Full Name:
    Jon/Sean Sohaei
    Larini Section 1 & 2 followed by a Tubi section 3 on our Coupe GT.

red27 and arizonaitalian like this.
  2. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Interesting link with almost everything you need to know about various 4200 models. It is not debatable as this link states about CC maintenance. The CC will cost you a lot more to operate than a GT true manual, and will also wear out faster unless you are a horrible shifter. Also the early CC's did shifts at around 1/2 a second. I can shift my manual faster than that.

https://checkvist.com/checklists/39832?simple=true

S_AGATA and absostone like this.
  3. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    great info thanks

4. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    So I drove a Gt. A few questions. Why is the clutch pedal approx 3 inches higher than the other pedals? And why do the RPMs stay up in between shifts. Very odd feeling

5. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    So I was at the dealer today and believe it or not there was a GT there in for what looked like some problem under the dash, probably heater core, who knows. I looked at the pedals and the clutch was much higher. But had rubber pads on them which would probably make them a smidge lower compared to the aluminum pedals that the car I drove had. But I don't understand that weird cutoff/ rpm thing when I was shifting it. Could it be the DBW? does anyone even install one on a GT?

6. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    guys input please.

7. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    I don't know of most of you have ever noticed this but a lot of top tier race cars(Group C, F1) had offset clutch pedals before they all went paddle shift. Yes the 4200 GT does have offset pedals and I like it. You will get used to it and may like it better after you get used to it. As for the RPM cutoff, I don't know what that is about. Mine does not do that.

By the way, the heater core is the same as on the Alfa 166 and that part is much cheaper than the Maserati part. Alfa 166's are Europe only so you won't find parts for them locally.

8. Foncool

Foncool Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2011
    The heater-core from a Saab 9000 also fits and can be purchased for les than $20.00

F456M likes this.
  9. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Yes I'm aware of the parts thanx but I'll try and explain the rpms. It shifts five. It seams that the rpms stay steady when the clutch is pushed in. Then the rpms drop when the next get is up shifted after the clutch is let out. See here

Go to 8:30. Exactly this. Turn on subtitles please. And thx for the reply.

10. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Exactly what I would describe.

11. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Not sure what that is caused by but I bet it has something to do with the gear change cables or maybe the clutch hydraulics. I just drove my spyder a few miles and tried to duplicate and it would not do that. I did do very fast shifts so it did not have time to change rpm very much. I do remember when my clutch pump was going out it would sometimes hang between gear changes and that sounded sort of like the video.

12. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Thx Tommy. But it shifts fine. What I am describing is like what cironi says in the video. It shifts fine it's not a slipping

13. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Ok... I do agree with him on the suspension, way to soft. If anyone buys one of these they need to upgrade the springs and sway bars, and if it is not a GS get a Tubi or Larini system. I think Ferrari tried to make this car more luxury and less performance by softening the suspension. Maybe they did not want to step on the Ferrari market to much, although I have a feeling they did anyway. Just like Alfa Quad's and Giulia's stealing Ghibli sales now.

14. SpyderGT

SpyderGT Formula Junior

May 15, 2005
    Vancouver, BC
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I understand that it is the labor for removing the dash is the big expense associated with replacing a heater core on a 4200 series car. I have seen a DIY guide with photos (and maybe videos) that was on, or linked through, the maseratilfe forum. I never had issues with the heater core but it was something on my mind.

Jon (Spyder GT 11323 - sold)

15. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
  16. arachnyd

arachnyd Karting

Feb 5, 2016
    Springboro
    The minute I find one of these for sale, I'm buying one... haha. I've been looking for ages. This is a rare find!

S_AGATA likes this.
  17. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Another pair of Maserati 4200 Trofeo videos. Sounds great with all the high pitch flat plane crank Ferrari's.

milanojess, S_AGATA and Merak1974 like this.
  18. Bobby Galardo

Bobby Galardo Rookie

Jul 4, 2019
    Full Name:
    Roberto Hugo Galardo JR

CETH likes this.
  19. Bobby Galardo

Bobby Galardo Rookie

Jul 4, 2019
    Full Name:
    Roberto Hugo Galardo JR
    Wanna share pics of my 2005 Grans port full Formula dynamics wheel and coil overs brake pads and dbw f1. computerfd.ecm along with larini. Xpipe and fab speed sec cat delete all new piero all around just hit 30000miles car has nwpegaclutch done in 2017 about 700 miles ago

Attached Files:

F456M and Merak1974 like this.
  20. Merak1974

Merak1974 Formula 3

Aug 31, 2009
    Oslo, Norway
    Full Name:
    Gabriel R.G. Benito
    Wow! Is the car street legal where you live? Lucky you :)

21. Bobby Galardo

Bobby Galardo Rookie

Jul 4, 2019
    Full Name:
    Roberto Hugo Galardo JR
    Yes I live in Florida USA Boynton beach car is street legal and makes about 440 hp.have car weighs about3500.lbs she sounds amazing

F456M and Merak1974 like this.
  22. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    I forgot about this video made back when Ferrari still ran the company. Also a few photos of my car, a 2002 4200 Spyder GT 6 speed manual taken downtown in Chicago. It is lowered slightly with Formula Dynamics springs and sway bars and Larini tail and X pipes. Sounds and handles like it should have from the factory.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

F456M, T160, red27 and 2 others like this.
  23. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
  24. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    #74 F1tommy, Mar 4, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2020
    Also the complete production list for 4200's and 3200 coupes. They seem to be very close to the factory website numbers. GS and GS specials included in the website coupe totals ? +1 more Spyder GS. Spyder 90th is a Gransport chassis so that would add 181 to GS Spyders I guess.

4200 M138 production numbers:

Coupè Cambiocorsa: 5371
    Coupè Manual GT: 1078
    Spyder Cambiocorsa: 3134
    Spyder Manual GT: 574
    Spyder 90th Ann.: 181
    GranSport Coupè: 2432
    GranSport Spyder: 472
    GranSport MC Victory: 181

[​IMG]

absostone likes this.
  25. F1tommy