Possible first Ferrari? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Possible first Ferrari?

Discussion in '308/328' started by Drdds, Jul 2, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Drdds

Drdds Rookie

Jul 2, 2018
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Full Name:
    Bryan Larson
    I wonder if it was that one. I saw 1983 QV on his website that had bad rust on the drivers door and was missing a headlight. He must have sold it because it was gone when I just went to look. I had called him (BHCC) about it and he said it wasn't even running! He said the engine turns freely . . . but at the same time it was still like $37k!!

I understand what you mean. It is a little shocking still though. Sad to see a once great car turn in to a mere pile of parts as far as value.

This is totally relevant. I have lots of experience turning wrenches on cars and motorcycles and would do most on my own for any project. With the exception of where machining is needed, which I can see as quite an expense. Body work is something I am learning, so that would be a maybe send out as well, on a Ferrari anyway, also $$$

Thank you for saying so, I appreciate that. I have learned that being a Ferrari fan does not mean the same thing as being familiar with these cars and their ownership at all!! I will bear that in mind. I have been pleasantly surprised to see how active and engaged this community is. Undoubtedly a tremendous resource for owners and especially DIY-ers.

2. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    No, this wasn’t BHCC. Had a decent 84 Porsche 911 one month and then I think it was an 82 308? in a desert brown color? Was a nice looking car . About every other month they seem to have a 308.

3. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    You may be were referring to that "barn find" bought by the insurance salesman at the National Corvette Museum. We gave lots of encouragement because the owner had already bought the car so there was no point in debating whether it was worth buying or not. However, after getting started, he quickly concluded that his heart was not into such a big undertaking and sold it to the BHCC.

… Then again, have you found the thread by Daniel Morales in Paraguay who is building an entire 308 piece by piece?

4. Drdds

Drdds Rookie

Jul 2, 2018
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Full Name:
    Bryan Larson
    I just saw that yesterday!!! There is an ambitious man right there!

5. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    There’s a black 348 in classifieds section that I would love to have. Asking $36,000. Check it out.

Drdds likes this.
  6. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    If you do your own work, that helps a lot. Some things on a 308 are just cheap to buy. Problem it, many things are not. Wait until you price those caps and rotors. And if it has metric wheels...

Drdds likes this.
  7. Drdds

Drdds Rookie

Jul 2, 2018
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Full Name:
    Bryan Larson
    I saw that one! Pretty car, but I need cats in my state to pass emissions and register it . . . the 348 I love but it intimidates a little more to own and seems less accessible to the home mechanic for DIY maintenance. Still, that is extremely tempting at that price.

8. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I’m participating in this thread because just a few years ago I was in the same boat although I was prepared to spend up to $50k initially. I talked to the owner of this car that later sold for $30k on Bring a Trailer auction site. I think it may have been more of a project than the subject car here and it didn’t even have a luggage rack! I thought I could get it for under $20k but the owner wanted quite a bit over that and with the auction fees, tax and license somebody paid close to $40k for it. I then bid on another 308 at that site that had 100,000 miles on it but backed out at $36k mainly because I had never bought a car at an auction or sight unseen like that and thought to myself - WTF are you doing.!?

So I ended up buying a car locally for about $10k more than what I originally budgeted, a really nice QV that I put 10,000 miles on in my first year of ownership, one that I was able to touch, sit in, start up and drive before writing the check. If it’s any help this is not like buying a new car on a showroom floor that loses 25% of its value the minute you take possession, it’s just your money in the form of something you can gawk at, caress and drive, take care of it and you can always turn in back into cash if that’s what you want.

You have to look at it with a different mindset.

9. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    348's are pretty cool.

I am fully aware of their shortcomings but a friend just bought a red tan spider and I have put about 300 miles on it.

I just really liked it. The brakes felt phenomenal.

Drdds, Rosey and 308 milano like this.
  10. i-velocita

i-velocita F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 9, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    James
    Doesn’t look that bad to me. Way overpriced at $50k though. Too bad about unknown mileage. Floor mats and a good wash would help immensely. Easily worth $25k, maybe quite a bit more. Parts cars are running $20k plus today. This forum is always hard on tatty 308s but they still bring money!

Drdds likes this.
  11. Drdds

Drdds Rookie

Jul 2, 2018
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Full Name:
    Bryan Larson
    Interesting take on this one. I had a feeling that if someone just went through and detailed it first impressions would be a lot different. So you are thinking it could be worth bringing back up to a decent drivers car status if the purchase was down in the neighborhood of $20-25k? That was sort of my original feeling but comments from Michael (very appreciated, thanks Michael) on what it’s history has been have made me shy away a due to of fear for what might lie ahead as a result of deferred servicing. I have no doubt someone could sell parts from it and do okay, but I don’t think that’s for me.

12. Michael Call

Michael Call Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 6, 2008
    S.L.C. Utah
    Full Name:
    Michael D. Call
    You are of course correct in that just about any 308 that is a complete car with clean and clear title that can be pushed onto a trailer will find a new victim to pay an irrational sum for it. It is a dream, and all great dreams are somewhat irrational in the first place, right?
    Well, a GOOD Ferrari is just irrational enough... A BAD one (such as the car in question) is pure insanity. There are a few good ones to be had. You will be a million miles ahead buying a quality example at a market correct price. If you can't afford a nice one, you REALLY can't afford a nasty one.
    I realize that many DIYers out there want to spend a little time exercising their black thumb. A good example will give you plenty of opportunities to do small but satisfying DIY maintenance projects.

Hannibal308, Cuddy K and Drdds like this.
  13. Drdds

Drdds Rookie

Jul 2, 2018
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Full Name:
    Bryan Larson
    More reason for me to contirnue to save up I think. There is certainly a small part of me that wants to take on the noble task for bringing a neglected Ferrari back to life just for the sheer satisfaction of the process. The trouble is, while I have experience working rebuilding transmissions and like the work, restoring a car is a much bigger undertaking, and I think I would be kidding myself to say that I’d be up to the task. I mean, maybe i could do it, but i agree that if i can’t affird a nice one, I’m only going to be more in the hole on one like this in the end. Especially if the first full restoration I take on is a Ferrari. But, I digress. It’s might be a project for another dreamer, just not for me. Not at this point.

14. Michael Call

Michael Call Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 6, 2008
    S.L.C. Utah
    Full Name:
    Michael D. Call
    If you are gainfully employed, the time spent earning money to save for a good car will be minuscule in comparison to the time you will spend and agony you will endure trying to bring a bad car back from oblivion.

15. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I have always been a champion of a no frills driver quality 308. Bring it home, give it a good basic tune up, wash it and start driving it every day.

Even drive it in the rain to the grocery store.

But the buying price has to be right.

dinolove, Cuddy K and Drdds like this.
  16. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Repainted with Imron paint is not a positive. That paint was designed for commercial use on semi’s and such. Goes on very orange Peely, very chip resistant but if you do chip it it’s extremely hard to feather and it polishes like a slab of concrete.

Drdds likes this.
  17. Drdds

Drdds Rookie

Jul 2, 2018
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Full Name:
    Bryan Larson
    I wondered about this too. If it had been, it was either sanded and polished it pretty well, or it has been stripped and redone. While it did have plenty of blemishes, I could not see any orange peel on it. A few chips in the front and on the door edges here and there though. Maybe it was stripped and repainted after the imron.

18. Drdds

Drdds Rookie

Jul 2, 2018
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Full Name:
    Bryan Larson
    I’m listening! Ha ha. But what would the right price be if you were to make a guess? Maybe if the price was right I could have a backup plan to sell it to the BHCC guy if it all went south ;)

19. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    It's been said countless time: there's no such thing as a cheap Ferrari.

You can pay $20K for a project that needs $30K of work, or pay $50K that needs $5K of work. The only real difference is your level of patience (and bank account).

dinolove, randkin, Drdds and 2 others like this.
  20. Drdds

Drdds Rookie

Jul 2, 2018
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Full Name:
    Bryan Larson
    I know, I know, but it is fun to entertain all the opinions that come in on the subject! :) Truth is, all of this has made me realize I’m not quite ready to commit to one yet regardless. I plan on saving s few more years and watching the market more carefully and narrowing down what i really want. 3x8, Mondial, color, engine, project, or pristine, all of that. So, I’ve been enjoying reading all of the comments!

Rosey likes this.
  21. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    If you really feel this way (meaning no "loyalty" to a particular 3×8/Mondial model) I would suggest you look closely at the 308 GT4

Fantastic car that makes all the right sounds and is only going to get more valuable

dinolove likes this.
  22. Drdds

Drdds Rookie

Jul 2, 2018
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Full Name:
    Bryan Larson
    Having watched John Pogson speak on both the GT4 and the Mondial on YouTube had me interested in both recently actually. Don’t see to many GT4’s about either. In the end I think I’ll want a car that i won’t feel guilty about driving as often as possible, which all the afore mentioned cars would fulfill I think.

23. Jroe550

Jroe550 Karting

Sep 10, 2015
    Austria
    Full Name:
    Jason
  24. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    You're going through all of the same mind trips I did a few years back. In the beginning, from way back when I was in high school, I wanted a 246 Dino because I thought it was the most beautiful car that had ever been pounded out of a few sheets of tin (and I still do) but they always managed to remain way outside of my budget. So choice #2 was a 308 GTS but as I began to get serious they began to rapidly rise as well. I watched prices pretty much double over a four year period and thought it was going to be now or never pretty soon. I also considered the GT4 but only if it was a '75 because I'm in California and that's a significant year because everything pre-76 is smog exempt. Also considered the Mondial but never really seriously and I'm not knocking either one but I knew for a fact inside myself that if I had gotten either of those I'd always be thinking I should have gotten the car I really wanted, which was the GTS. So I held out and when it finally came down to actually seriously looking at cars I didn't really care if it was carbed or injected or what color it was or if it was a GTS or a GTB but my preference was either an early (pre-78) carbed or a QV and my least favored were late carbed or 2V injected (especially the ones with an 85 mph speedometer) but the right car at the right price and I could have gotten either one of those. I also preferred a GTS but a GTB wouldn't have been a deal breaker, I just wouldn't pay more for it simply because it was a B.

Now I'm not saying your case is exactly like mine but based on all you've said here it's possible that you are closer to getting your first Ferrari than you think. It gets into your head and you can't get rid of it. If you can hold out long enough it may pass but hanging out here isn't gonna help you with that :)

Good luck either way.

25. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    +308

Paul, you are a literary genius.