612 - very rough ride | FerrariChat

612 - very rough ride

Discussion in '612/599' started by TrojanFan, Jul 6, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    At low speeds (maybe below 35mph) the ride from the rear is very rough and i feel every little crack in the pavement almost to the extent that it seems like the rear end will shake and fall apart. Once im at a higher speed the bumps smooth out though its not as smooth as i expect. (I have a smoother ride from my 355.) On visual i have not noticed anything looking worn or damaged, the shocks appear fine with no leaks.

Is this rough ride typical of the ball joints wearing out? I just turned 43k miles yesterday.

2. Makuono

Makuono Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2014
    Full Name:
    Ricardo
    Which tires do you have on the car and how old are they?

3. F612

F612 Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2018
    Leeds,AL
    Full Name:
    David D. Hood
    My 612 is smooth from the start with 6 year old P Zeros. I suspect something is loose.
    Are you talking 612 or 599?

4. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Suspension joints could be worn. Have that checked. If so, replace with Hill Engineering parts. The OEM ones seem to only last 15-20,000 miles

5. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    2 year old Michelins.

6. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    2006 612

7. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Would worn rear ball joints give a real rough ride at low speed and then smooth out at the higher speed?

8. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Beats me.

9. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I need to do a more through inspection this weekend of the rear ball joints. Since this seems to be more of a "when" and not "if" issue, its probably a good bet that they are a problem and it so, I may as well replace both the upper and the lower.

For those of you that have done the procedure, how necessary is the extractor that is sold? It's a separate one for the upper and the lower/ Easy enough to remove them without it? I have a press available.

10. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Could it be that you are sensitive to what many 550 guys complained of with dead body in the trunk syndrome? Search for it there was a solution via top of shock modification. I would not be surprised by similar technology of the 550 producing similar problems in the 612.

11. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    FBB- The 612 has rubber shock mounts like the 575, unlike the 550.

12. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
  13. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    On another visual inspection, I am not seeing excessive play in the rear ball joint (though were I to disassemble I may find wear). I've been serarching the forum and see a lot of issues with the tie rods. Is a problenm there just as common?

What I am getting is real jarring bumps from the rear end at lower speeds. Anything like cracks in the road, manhole covers and even the joints between concrete pours on the freeway. Things really smooth out once I get to higher speeds. With the ECU controlling the suspension, is it possible that a rapid series of bumps tricks the suspension into firming up, making the situation worse?

bamaman likes this.
  14. trygve11

trygve11 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 20, 2008
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Jason Hagen
    Replace upper strut mounts.

15. swiss612

swiss612 Karting

May 10, 2016
    Zurich
    Full Name:
    Michel
    to check ball joints and tie rods, lift up one corner, take the wheel firmly in both hands in different position 12 -6 and 9-3 ... 11-5 for the front
    There should be absolutely no play. Right side seems to be wearing out quicker due to manholes on the road being on the right side...
    The other technique is to use a breaker bar and try to lift the wheel hub slightly from the triangle, put your finger in between to feel any play, there should be no movement at all.
    You also need to check drop links on the antiroll bar. But those need to be taken out to be properly checked
    What you describe does not sound like excessive play in ball joints though, you would notice some clunks.

16. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Im running out of ideas on the "clunking noise". I bought new Hill upper and lower ball joints for the rear. When i went to replace them, the ones on the car look to have been replaced already (with OEM) but there was no noticable wear on them. Replaced with the Hill one but it made no difference. The sway bar drops look ok too. Greased them and reinstslled. Seems to be no excessive play there. Shocks appear to be good as well and no leaks.

I shifted to the front and again on inspection, it appears that they have been replaced prior as well. Removed the boots and greased. Front shocks look ok too.

Any other thoughts on what could be the issue? Its a lot of clunking over bumps at low speed. Smooths out at higher speed.

17. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Could it be a fault with the electronic dampers? Defaulting to a harder setting??

18. F612

F612 Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2018
    Leeds,AL
    Full Name:
    David D. Hood
    This NOoT intended to be smart-ass but is there sometimes loose in the trunk?

19. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    No Junk in the trunk. Stuff on the lower level strapped down otherwise a few micro fiber towels and a cleaning kit on the upper level.

Its only at lower speeds, say below 30 mph. Smooth at freeway speeds and above. Would that have any effect on the electronic dampers?

20. F612

F612 Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2018
    Leeds,AL
    Full Name:
    David D. Hood
    not in any order, but:
    Are brake discs "floating"?
    Are exhaust hangars good?
    Is gas tank tightly fastened?
    Is internal fuel pump (if it has one) loose?
    Is the battery fastened down?
    Are trunk lid and latch adjusted properly?
    Is the back seat well attached?
    Are the parking brakes well attached?
    have a 1954 Chris Craft Holiday that ran fine at ldle but died when on plane. It took me weeks to figure out that it just needed gas. Sometimes we miss the easy solution.
    I hope I don't offend by stating the silly, remote possibilities.

Roll Tide!

21. F3RN4ND0

F3RN4ND0 Karting

Nov 16, 2015
    Madrid, Spain
    Full Name:
    F3RN
    Check if your rear absorbers are licking... i.e. oil residues under rear tires in the garage, in the inner side of the wheels and/or in the wheel house.

When they stop working, ride becomes very rough.
    It happened to me and after I replaced them everything got back to normal.

22. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Shocks look good all around. No leaking oil seen anywhere on them.
    Battery fastened down.
    No loose junk in the trunk.
    Has Tubi exhaust and all the hangers look secure.
    Back seat looks to be secure.
    I have not checked the fuel pump.

23. F612

F612 Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2018
    Leeds,AL
    Full Name:
    David D. Hood
    Sway bar well attached?

I grasping at straws.