1/12 models (Tamiya/Kyosho/Autoart) | Page 40 | FerrariChat

1/12 models (Tamiya/Kyosho/Autoart)

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by mattymouse33, Apr 24, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    tifosi12 likes this.
  2. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    Completely agree with you Tom. The people at TMC just never learn, and they obviously don't care. Their 250 SWB "toy" is terrible. Too many problems and mistakes to list. Same as with their awful 275 GTB, and 250 TR. I just received their email this morning promoting this lousy toy - and showing it also in red, and silver. This is just another example of a model manufacturer proving that all they care about is money - this can NOT be seriously considered as a model or a collectible.

Christian.Fr likes this.
  3. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    Still too many problems with all of their Ferrari models. The only one that was decent was the Dino 246 GT. But... I will say two positive things.... Judging by these latest photos of their 275 NART Spyder..... it looks as though they have finally made some changes: correction & improvement with the wheels and tires. And the exhaust pipes are noticeably better too. Maybe they do listen just a little.

4. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    But the problem is (at least from those pictures) that the basic shape doesn't look right for either model. It isn't much use having lovely exhaust pipes if the shape is all wrong.

It really is a shame when someone opts to model a car and then doesn't at least get the basics right.

5. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck

You are correct about the body shape. Yes, I wasn't even bothering to comment on the poor shaping job, and other detail problems. All things mentioned before too many times with their models. It is not an accurate model. They fixed the details mentioned, but failed with the big things....i.e. body. Waste of resin, and waste of money for anyone buying these.

6. BLACK HORSE

BLACK HORSE Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2004
    California - Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I'm curious... for model and body accuracy, I would have thought the model manufacture would use a 3D scanner to get things right? The 512 BBi Boxer looks a little weird up front!

7. David C

David C Karting

Jul 29, 2014
    They should; that's how Amalgam does theirs--who knows how these others do it, maybe just photographs and tape measure........

8. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    No most do not do that. 3D scanning a car is still a VERY expensive process to do. Most model manufacturers like TMC are notoriously cheap. Some owners also do not want their cars covered in the non-reflective coating that up until recently had to be applied to all shiny and reflective surfaces to be scanned. That is how it has been with many of the existing scanners. But.... new technology allows the avoidance of a coating, but not everyone has access to, or uses these latest scanners. TMC and others often work from other types of CAD files created by them and or independant 3D artists. And even when a model company actually scans a 1:1 car, that is no guarantee of getting all the shapes correct. Things happen with reduction, and the model company engineers. CMC scans cars and still there are some areas that get misshaped when they produce their models. Amalgam uses scanners all the time, but sometimes things go wrong..... the nose of their big 1:8 and little 1:18 Le Mans winning 250 LM is all wrong, and no one caught it before production.

IF.... a model maker has a good eye for shapes and details, then sometimes extensive photos and measurements are the best way.

9. moriaan1

moriaan1 Formula 3

Dec 3, 2006
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hans
    Modelmaking is an artform, some things can't be done by copying a masterpiece, the soul of the subject is not captured in exact dimensions. Curves and shapes can turn out very weird..

F1tommy and Lusso123 like this.
  10. piloti

piloti Formula 3
    Honorary

Jul 11, 2004
    England
    Full Name:
    Nathan Beehl
    It would seem to me that TMC's pattern maker doesn't have a good eye for shape and form. Good pattern making is an art form.
    Nathan

Lusso123 likes this.
  11. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    Completely agree, and TMC does not care to improve that. They are cranking out soulless models like a sausage factory.

12. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Inaccuracies are nothing new. It's never been mentioned much, but the shape of the airbox on Tamiya's 1/12 Ferrari 312T is wrong; surprisingly, no one ever seemed to complain about it.

13. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    #989 Lusso123, Jul 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    Different thing, different animal. One could also go on about some of the MFH kits with their mistakes, which has been discussed before. Overall Tamiya kits are far better than a TMC or GT Spirit model, etc. And comparing a very old kit to brand new factory built models is not a good comparison. Early Tamiya kits were and are known for various inaccuracies. Tamiya was also selling kits to hobbyists, they were not aiming at collectors.

The marketing, and false claims are part of the problem with model companies such as TMC and others. They are all marketing/selling their models as collectible pieces. TMC specifically makes written claims about the accuracy and quality of their models. That is just BS, not reality, it's simply false. Hence great short or long term value is just not there.

A couple of other model companies missed the 'memo' about Tamiya's early accuracy problems. Tamiya's Lotus 49's are a great example. Fantasy gearbox, problems with body proportions, tire dimensions, and more. Two companies (Exoto, and Automodello) have both made the mistake of using those kits as a basis for their models, and in turn copied and reproduced many of the Tamiya's mistakes.

14. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Could be worse, could be resin kits from Mexico. :)

I've bought several of those for good money simply because they made kits of models nobody else does. Making then the best of out the model through kitbashing is the real challenge. I have bought the Tamiya and Revel 1/12 Ferrari kits multiple times just for parts (I think I must have cornered the market on the 126C and the MS car).

15. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
  16. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
  17. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    No doubt, 1/12 is the new trend and becoming the new 1/18!

Dino246gt likes this.
  18. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
  19. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    Christian.Fr likes this.
  20. Christian.Fr

Christian.Fr Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 9, 2005
    Full Name:
    Christian.Fr
    At least! Big cat is coming

I must to receive the A.A Bugatti Veyron in 1/12. I never be desapointed by AA,
    Great finish, and it s a real diecast!

21. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    #997 F1tommy, Aug 4, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
  22. David C

David C Karting

Jul 29, 2014
    Hopefully the windshield trim will be fitted better than the prototype , there's a raised bump it on top in the prototype photo. If that is corrected, I would attempt replacing the wires with MFH wheels and tires.

23. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    That Lusso does look very good, and yes, the grill has some issues as with all of their vintage Ferrari's, but still could be lived with. Same for the headlights. Wire wheels & tires are better than on some pf their previous models, but I would still replace them if I bought one. Windshield trim and other window trim....this is always an issue on these models with the way the factories assemble the models. Sometimes you will get a good one with perfect fit, and sometimes not. I would also replace those terrible windshield wipers, they look like something you would find on a cheap toy from over 40 years ago.

Hope they pick some other good colors.....(personal preference) I don't want this in "resale red."

furmano likes this.
  24. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner