458 passenger, side airbag recall? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

458 passenger, side airbag recall?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Dave rocks, Mar 11, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. elt360

elt360 Karting

Mar 27, 2013
    uk
    Full Name:
    paul elton
    All right smart arse.The New York Times, and various other SOURCES.

2. BlueIn2Red

BlueIn2Red Karting

Sep 29, 2006
    Tring, UK
    Got a link please? One that covers 22 people being killed in 458s due to an airbag fault.

3. elt360

elt360 Karting

Mar 27, 2013
    uk
    Full Name:
    paul elton
    look, i never said it was
    Sorry if you are confused but if you bother to read this stream correctly I did not say the fatalities were in 458's - the issue is with the air bag manufacturer (Japanese names TAKATA) who fit their air bags in a range of cars worldwide. It is not a fault with the car but the airbag. Therefore a simple search on the world wide web will bring you many sources and information concerning this matter. From my research I have found it reported that 22 people worldwide have had their deaths attributed to the Takata airbag exploding. The subsequent shrapnel from the explosion has also caused serious injury to others. It is not FAKE NEWS. The simple fact is that Ferrari and other manufacturers have mandated a recall on their cars to retro fit the passenger airbags just in case. They clearly are accepting the information and the potential risk. For me it was a no-brainer when mandated by Ferrari, Ferrari North Europe and the Ferrari dealership, (Maranello at Egham, England) to have this work done. I would point out that if I did not have this work done, and there was a subsequent problem with the airbag, my insurance would be null and void. I would expect this would be the same for all other insurance companies world wide. More important, my primary passenger is my wife and her safety, even on a just-in-case basis, is paramount. What I do not understand is why so many are in denial on this matter - maybe their passengers are not as important.

4. BlueIn2Red

BlueIn2Red Karting

Sep 29, 2006
    Tring, UK
    Thank you for clarifying. Maybe not FAKE NEWS, but still a lot less dramatic than it appeared from your first posts. Many millions of cars, 22 fatalities - 22 too many of course, but much better odds than crossing the road on foot.

Ash Patel likes this.
  5. BlueIn2Red

BlueIn2Red Karting

Sep 29, 2006
    Tring, UK
    And yes, you win, with two insults to zero. A shame the internet always has to be this way!

6. elt360

elt360 Karting

Mar 27, 2013
    uk
    Full Name:
    paul elton
    Totally agree,the way i look at it,it's bad enough having an impact hard enough, to deploy the airbag,then to be killed by the device designed to save you.

7. elt360

elt360 Karting

Mar 27, 2013
    uk
    Full Name:
    paul elton
    only counted one insult.

8. RBarbieri

RBarbieri Karting

Feb 11, 2014
    Bradenton, FL
    Full Name:
    Rich Barbieri
    I have a 2014 458 and still haven't had the passenger airbag replaced. Every time I check with the dealer I'm told the parts aren't available yet. Just wondering what others are finding? I read someplace that Ferrari is sending parts based upon the year of the car.

9. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    I got mine replaced (on my 09/2015 488) in France just a month or so ago although the reference recall was from 2017; I thought the US had the priority because they are the more sensitive to such issues...

10. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Rich,

As far as I was told by my official local dealer, Takata went bust and replacements are scarce, once there are a lot of cars to service (“a lot” by Ferrari standards that is). Got the recall letter from Ferrari in mid 2017 (July/August), got my airbag replaced in October 2018. So it’s safe to expect some delays unfortunately.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

11. Hardistyfezza

Hardistyfezza Formula Junior

Received the letter about a month ago direct from Ferrari Italy, my car is a July2015 458 Spider, work was carried out last week.

12. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    That is what I was told when I inquired from Ferrari as to when my 15 would be recalled. It was sequenced as told. My air bag was done approx. 3 mo. ago.